PDA

View Full Version : Should i buy new desktop or new laptop for poker?

dynamite140
04-27-2010, 03:55 PM
I 24 table Double Or Nothing SNGs with HEM and Tableninja on. I have 2 computers at the moment. They are both old! Both i bought around 4 years ago. I have a desktop and laptop but i play on the desktop i say 95 percent of the time.

Dell dimension e310 Desktop
80GB Hard Drive
2GB RAM
Intel Pentium 4 Processor 2.8 Ghz

Dell Inspiron 6000 Laptop
55GB Hard Drive
2GB RAM
Intel Pentium 4 Processor 1.7Ghz

The reason why i play on my desktop as oppose to laptop is because i can 24 table on my desktop okay with HEM and HUD on. With my laptop, i can do at the most 16 and then i experience a ton of lag. Also, the main reason is because my monitor is the Dell 2007FP 20.1 1600X1200 resolution monitor which i do know is an old monitor since lot of people here has 24' monitors. I like this monitor a lot because i see 4 tables without overlap and of course there are 5 tables behind each table.

I want a new computer because i am tired of the lag i am having. Also, i know HEM uses a ton of space and i recalled when i formatted my desktop, i had about 8GB space used. After playing a ton of these sngs since November... i have about 32 GB used and only about 41GB free and i know new computers have 500GB of space. A person i talked to tells me he uses a laptop but uses an extra monitor to play. He saids all his tables are on the monitor and no tables are on his laptop. He said you know good video card for that. That sounds good but would it be a better idea to just get a desktop instead? I will play while sitting down 95% of the time but did thought it would be a bit convenient to have the laptop.

Can someone recommend me whats the better option? I rarely go outside with a laptop so i almost never carry it outside. I actually like playing while sitting down like i do with my desktop now and not moving around.

Is Dell the best option? I heard someone say any processor now a days is fine and i am considering i5 core. But i read u need a fast SSD 7200 RPM. Would all Dell computers that is i5 core supply this SSD? I also heard about cooling fan and know nothing about it. However, my desktop at the moment makes a huge noise with the fan inside when i start playing a lot of tables.

Or would you say just buy all the parts from Newegg? However, i do not know how to put any parts computer so i cannot build it myself. Are there computer stores where say you buy all the parts from newegg.com and then a computer store can build it for you for a price? If so, how much would that cost and are these regular computer stores? You can't go to say a bestbuy for them to build it right? I live in NYC by the way.

I am mainly concerned about having all the right specifications so i cannot get much lagging when i'm playing this many tables with HEM and Table Ninja on.

Thanks for any help!

Patvs
04-27-2010, 08:02 PM
HEM using a lot of space: make sure you delete the logfiles (and stop logging) Read: http://forums.holdemmanager.com/manager-general/8423-want-stop-postgre-creating-those-large-log-files-heres-how.html

Advantage of a desktop versus laptop: ALL laptops have SLOW harddisks.
The bottleneck of your current desktop and laptop is three-way:
-1 HARDDISK SPEED
-2 MEMORY
-3 CPU speed (on the laptop)
(-4 videocard could have minor performance influence)

It would be a waste if you would get a NEW laptop with a slow 5400 RPM harddisk, which would still result in lag. No lag when playing.... but when wanting to view a graph (showing this month's or last year graph).

You should consider at some point a dual monitor setup. It's a lot more efficient. (and increases productivity)

--

Any new processor now a days is fine.
i5 is best. (if often even wins over the i7 - i7 is a lot more expensive)
The downside of Dell... (Dell is fine in general, but) they charge ridiculous prices for upgrades (and they don't offer the best SSDs). The only two good SSDs are: Intel X25-M G2 Postville SSD and OCZ Vertex 2.

Quiet system:
There are four elements that make NOISE:
-1 CPU fan
-2 POWER SUPPLY FAN
-3 CASE fans
-4 videocard FAN

Most stock CPU fans are quiet. (though I still replaced mine for a Scyth Mugen 2) But do some research on 2, 3 and 4. Many highend cases (for example made by Antec) are sound-isolated with quiet fans (and a quiet power supply), some videocards are passively cooled (so they make NO noise), others have special quiet coolers such as the Vapor-X series)

Most DELL desktop's I know are really quiet.
You don't have a nerd computer friend (or cousin) that can build it for you?

dad604
04-27-2010, 08:32 PM
Definitely a desktop, unless you need the portability of a laptop. $ for $ desktop will give you higher performance, reliability, and easier/cheaper to upgrade.

If you are happy with your 1600x1200 monitor, keep it. You will have to buy at least a 23" 1920x1200 to eaual it. All the newer ws monitor will give you is a bit more space to the side.

If you are willing to assemble your own, following is a good system for poker.

1. cpu - I5-750 anything higher will not do much for poker
#2 choice would be I3, AMD 965, 955, 555 - bit lower but still ok. Also do not need to buy separate video card.
2. 4G of DDR3 memory
3. WD black (not green) 1TB or 2TB <$100 for 1TB
4. Antec Sonata III Quiet Case (includes Power Supply)
5. Asus or Gigabyte P55 MB
6. Cheapest video card, poker does not need hi end card
7. Optional cpu cooler, good but cheap from personal experience is CoolMaster Hyper 212+ (see all the ime on sale for $20), will fit all the above mentioned cpu. Much quieter and cooler than stock cooler.

If you can afford it, SSD as per above post. Itel is best, lowest price I have seen is $440 for 160 GB, OCZ is about $300 for 120 GB. Will make bootup and programs lightning fast.

Also love my Logitech MX Revolution mouse for multiple tabling but I see that Logitech have discontinued it recently.

Just saw your post on 2+2, for budget of $1200, you can have the I5-750 system, about $750 plus the SSD's.

dynamite140
04-28-2010, 11:41 AM
Is the SSD bought differently? Again i cannot build the computer myself but how much do computer stores charge for building the computer for you? Would buying a computer from say dell.com be fine?

I saw this one on dell that has i750 for a good price. I don't need an xps i'm pretty sure right since i don't play any games at all on my computer?

Inspiron 580 Desktop | Dell (http://www.dell.com/content/topics/topic.aspx/global/products/ltd/en/us/dhs/inspndt_580_ddcwyd1?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs)

Does this have a fast ssd drive? Would this be good if i did not buy parts separately? Or would i need additional parts with this.

Thanks!

dad604
04-28-2010, 07:08 PM
That Dell is just what I would recommend above except HD is bit small. No SSD in it.

Just two suggestion.

1. I think Dell wants too much $$$$ for the 640 GB upgrade. Buy 1TB WD black at Newegg or Fry's for under $100. Easy to install, just open computer and plug two cables, no jumpers to set.
2. 20" is ok but I would upgrade to +23" with 1920 x 1200 resolution (not 1920 x 1080) Dell have them. 23 to 28" at 1920 x 1200 seem to run $200 to $300 so if Dell wants a lot of $$$ for unpgrade, look elsewhere.
3. You can add SSD if you want but I find them too expensive at the moment. I don't have SSD until prices drop. You will find no lagging on above computer without SSD.

You can add bigger hdd later when you need it but monitor is a now decision.

Just went to Dell site and saw a couple of things.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/System_Drives/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=A1827902

This Seagate has a bad reputation for failures but price is good at $99.

Here is the WD 1TB link but Dell wants $120, I can buy it for $80.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/System_Drives/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=A3555513

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Displays/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-1070

This is only 1920 x 1080 but again price is good at $189 for today. Dell wants over $500 for 1920 x 1200 24". Also I see you can personalize above computer with 23" of above link for $69 more. Below link does not take you to right page, just keep clicking "continue personlizing" until you get to monitors.

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&oc=DDCWYD1&s=dhs

check your inbox for pm

dynamite140
04-28-2010, 07:49 PM
dad604.

I actually was looking at other desktop that i think might be better. How would you compare this versus the inspiron 580. This one has no monitor which is what i want b/c i already have a monitor. If i do buy the inspiron 580, i would probably just sell the monitor.

The Dell Online Store: Build Your System (http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=dxcwnn1&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&kc=studio-xps-8100)

By the way, i like my dell 20.1 monitor a lot and the 1600X1200 resolution. I see computers with 1900X1200 resolution with 24 or 25' monitors and don't like.

The only things i would upgrade here is the processor for $50 more to a I5-750 and the ram from 3gb to 4gb for $50. Total price would be around $50 less than the inspiron 580 after taxes and fees and its an XPS as oppose to an inspiron. 500GB you say is good enough right? I won't be downloading movies or anything like that on my desktop and HEM is the only thing that will make my computer use up space

Would you say this one would be better since its xps?

I checked newegg for SSD. How much GB would i need? I saw some for 80GB and some 160GB and the more is expensive. Which one would be good? I thought i needed like a 500GB sdd but then when i searched it online... that cost like 1400 dollars just for it!

Also, would you say this computer the XPS 8100 better than the inspiron 580? Would this have any lagging when running HEM? because you said the inspiron 580 won't have lagging so is there really a point of an SDD? Are there prebuilt computers from dell that actual come with the SDD? That was what i was looking for.

Thanks!

dad604
04-28-2010, 08:43 PM
Comparing the two, I would say get the 580. Everything looks good on the 580 except for the smallist hdd. I agree with you on the monitor, sell it and it is easy to add a bigger hdd when you need it. Also I would hold off on the SSD until you have use the computer, there will be no lagging without SSD. Add them anytime after if you want. Installing SSD is just like adding hdd, just two plugs to connect.

On the XPS 8100, I think by the time you added the $50for 750 and $50 for 4 gig ram, 580 is better deal.

Just buy the 580, sell the monitor and use 580 as is or add bigger hdd if you right away or later. As it looks like you are a little bit computer illerate, maybe just add the WD 1TB hdd from Dell for $120, they might give you a bit of discount for the 320 GB.

SSD's are a luxury, if you make lots of money playing poker, then yes. I just look at prices at Dell and Newegg, Dell is very expensive and Newegg is higher than what I expected. I see better prices locally in Vancouver, Canada.

My computer is close to the same spec except hdd is 1TB. There is absolutely no lagging, even with my old computer, AMD x2 2.4 gHz cpu, there was no lagging. What the SSD will give is lightning fast boot up when you first turn on computer and lightning fast program start up when you open HEM, poker site, etc.

dynamite140
04-28-2010, 09:02 PM
hey dad604. I think i'm going to purchase the 580 now. Thanks.

I have a few other questions. Would you say the i5 and the i3 have a tremendous difference? I definitely wanted to buy the i3 one if it had no monitor. I checked ebay and very few people are wanting to buy the monitor that is included with this desktop.

Is your AMD x2 2.4 gHz cpu lot slower than a i3 or i5? Do you run hem and tableninja and how many tables do you run?

Thank you so much for your help!

dad604
04-28-2010, 09:52 PM
Don't know if mods like thread getting so long so check you inbox.