PDA

View Full Version : HELP!! PS freezes and is laggy lately

sostegno
04-24-2010, 05:48 PM
HEM causes pokerstars to freeze ( up to 10 sec) and be laggy.
Whe it freezes i cant push any buttons just see the tables blinking and cant do anything. Pretty horrifying when masstabling. Today happened in two sessions.
during the freezing, i hear my hard drive suddenly working pretty much, when the sound ogs off, everything works fine again..

I play 16 tables stacked, have 7 stats in HUD. Stats are shown from the last 3 month.

Win XP SP2
AMD Athlon 64+ dual 3800
2GB Ram

only HEM, table ninja and security progs are running when playing poker.

Any ideas how to solve the problem

morny
04-24-2010, 06:32 PM
Narrow down the cause of the freeze
Often it will be a combination of 2 or more programs causing the problem, to rule out other programs causing the issue first reboot, then open just Holdem Manager and the poker client. Close all non essential programs, that includes MSN, Skype, Teamviewer, Mikogo, Firewall, Antivirus, Internet, Email, AHK scripts, FPHG, PT3, basically every other program running including programs in the taskbar. If it fixes the problem then introduce one program at a time and try to reproduce the freeze and continue doing this until you find the program thats causing the problem.

Also try unticking stars live tracking and prefetch and see if that helps, finally try the top 10 tips for improving performance

sostegno
04-24-2010, 06:49 PM
I only have stars, HEm table ninja and security progs running, the security progs i def cant turn off. It also not happening all the time...

Also imo must be HEm or some postgre issue since i hear my hard drive heavily working when that happens.

fozzy71
04-24-2010, 10:40 PM
I think I just replied to the same question on HEM. If you post something here, please dont repost it on 2p2. This forum is the best place to post problems. I am the only person monitoring the 2p2 thread.

Are you using TableNinja? Try to Disable the Frames.

In HEM > HUD Options > Site Options > Pokerstars: Disable the Live Tracking and Pre-Fetch features.

If neither of those solve your issue please start a thread on our forums with as many details as possible about your system and problems. post screen shots of the Task Manager, sorted by Descending CPU and Memory use.

sostegno
05-09-2010, 05:00 PM
I have given HEM hud and HEM.exe a higher priority. For some time it worked pretty quick without freezings... but lately everytime i start a session during the first 15min Pokerstars will freeze for about 5-10sec and then it all works fine again and no freeze during the nex 3 hour session.

This i m recognizing for a week and it happens everytime the same manner.

I have done ram optimization in postgres and have deinstalled postgres optimizer.

i have 3 postgresql.conf dats in the 8.5/data folder
( postgresql.conf, postgresql.conf.20090125204204, postgresql.conf.20100425010853 )

This is my actual buffers setup for 2GB ram in the postgresql.conf dat:

# - Memory -

# NOTE: This has been modified by EnterpriseDB's Tuning Wizard on 2009/01/09 18:17:14
# Original Value for "shared_buffers" was "32MB"
shared_buffers = 512MB # min 128kB or max_connections*16kB
# (change requires restart)
#temp_buffers = 8MB # min 800kB
#max_prepared_transactions = 5 # can be 0 or more
# (change requires restart)
# Note: Increasing max_prepared_transactions costs ~600 bytes of shared memory
# per transaction slot, plus lock space (see max_locks_per_transaction).
work_mem = 1024 # min 64kB
# NOTE: This parameter is been added by EnterpriseDB's Tuning Wiard on 2009/01/09 18:17:14

maintenance_work_mem = 16384 # min 1MB
# NOTE: This parameter is been added by EnterpriseDB's Tuning Wiard on 2009/01/09 18:17:14

#max_stack_depth = 2MB # min 100kB

morny
05-09-2010, 06:58 PM
So just so we know what you tried, you tried the top 10 tips in my sig, you tried disabling all other programs you use?

Also try these

Can you make sure your Opacity slider in Hud options > Player Preferences> Appearance TAB is 100% to the right and also do the same for the mucked cards Opacity

Also keep task manager running and have it sort by CPU in the Processes TAB and see what is using the most CPU when the lagging happens.

Also going to control panel > Admin Tools > Event Viewer and copy and paste any description if there are any error or information events that coincide with the time of the lagging.

Go to Hud Options > Site Options and disable all the prefetch/track live hands options

Lastly make sure your graphics driver is up to date as this can make a big difference to lagging even with a brand new PC.
FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: How To Update Your Graphics Card Driver (http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/362/How+To+Update+Your+Graphics+Card+DriverOn)

Antiviruses sometimes continually scan read/writes so when HM is doing an import its continually try to scan all those files and also again when theyre been archived which can cause a lag, most times adding the folders to the exceptions/exclusions list works but id also completely uninstall to verify for sure

someone with a lagging problem said 1.11 helped them Please install the latest version: http://www.holdemmanager.com/downloads/HmBetaUpdate.exe

seVen
05-10-2010, 11:30 AM
I also had lagg issues after doing a new windows set up, never had lagg issues before, which is kinda surprising to me.
So I tried the Top10 performance tips and I think the priority settings helped a bit.
Now I updated to version 1.11 and moved the opacity slider in hud options to the far right.
Lagg issues seem gone now, just played a test session and everything was fine.

So it seem that either version 1.11 or the opacity slider(maybe both) solve the problem.

Though im kinda confused because i never had lagg problems on the old system, then install everything new and suddenly have some?!

vingte
08-09-2010, 09:29 PM
I've also the same problem and each day, it's getting worse.

Playing 12 sng at the same time, and I get a 20-30s freeze after 30-40 minutes--> MAJOR TILT
CPU get down to 0 during this freeze, then go back to the normal. It looks like some it's making some operation on the swap. Is there some commit on the DB after a given amount of hand played ? It's really the feeling I've got.

Core2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 3Go Ram on Vista. 1.2Go allocated when starting the session.
Nothing else than PS, HEM & Avast running.

500kh in DB.
I tried to:
- defrag the HDD
- optimize Windows (using the oldwindows classic style instead of areo)
- change buffer / cashce size of postgresql
- vaccum Database
- purge all ahands from Sng
- Create a new database (no deletion of the old one)

I'll try tomorrow to use the ReadyBoost
Next steps :
- downgrade HEM.
- reformat HDD
- order a SSD drive

Patvs
08-09-2010, 11:43 PM
Please skip the downgrade of HM

What sort of harddrive do you have now..?
If < 160 GB 3-4 yr old drive?---> Order the SSD tomorrow...

vingte
09-29-2010, 06:55 PM
I did bought my SSD 1 month ago.

Here's my config:
Laptop with Core2 Duo 2.16GHz
3Gb RAM (I did a check of the Ram before ordering the SSD, no problem detected)
Windows 7 (use MS firewall)
OCZ Vertex 2 60Gb

Completely re-installed HEM with PostgreSQL 8.4 (a new database with only 45khands).
Full Vacuum then Reindex of the database yesterday

It was working fine the first days, and now, I begin to have that problem again.
Playing 6 tables at Ongame + 2-4 at Pokerstars

I did installed a widget that display Ram & both CPU use.
During the freeze, the Ram is not at 100% (something like Used 2.2Gb, Free 800Mb) while both CPU decrease to something like 0-20% instead of 40-70%

sostegno
09-29-2010, 07:13 PM
oh wow, good i hesitated to do the investment.
i just use the 1.11.4 version. its running fine.
And for SNGs i dont need all the new gimmicks anyway.

netsrak
09-30-2010, 04:31 AM
The ongame mucked cards function is causing performance problems - please try beta 17 http://www.holdemmanager.com/downloads/Holdem_Manager_Beta.exe