PDA

View Full Version : StartUp error message

KittyLiquor
10-07-2008, 09:22 PM
Had some problems.

ReFormated HD, upgraded HM to 1.06.03h, reinstalled PostgreSQL 8.0.3 (??), RESTORED db. Ran Vacuum/Full thru pgAdmin III.

Old db was UTF8 encoding, restored it to a WIN1252 db. When I start HM I get an error "An error occurred when retrieving the player list: ERROR: 22P05: character 0x9d encoding "WIN1252" has no equivalent in "UTF8"

I click OK.

HM, comes up, then immediately I get the same error message again.

I click OK.

Note: The players tab says "Players(0)"
I click players tab tab ;-), 1,000 Min Hands, Jan 08-Oct 08, Run Report, and it grinds a bit and then displays around 500 players, as it should.

Everything else looks OK (after 10 minutes of through investigations, haha)

----------------------Jeff

Torono
10-08-2008, 12:08 AM
I have this exact same problem. :confused:

morny
10-08-2008, 10:35 AM
Please try creating a new database http://208.109.95.123/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=146 and try reimporting your hands and see if the problem persists

KittyLiquor
10-08-2008, 11:16 AM
Thanks for the reply.

I can make a new database, but....

I can't RESTORE my data, because the database name will be different.

I can reimport my hands, but that will take at least 2 days+. :(
I've already spent 5+ days reinstalling stuff on this computer.

Since the error is in the BACKUP file, it was in the old database that ran fine under the older version of HM. (Unless there was some very weird single character corruption of a 950+ megabyte file, that also happened to Torono.)

If reimporting is the only answer, it means using BACKUP is not a valid option with HM. :confused:

------------------Kitty

morny
10-08-2008, 05:10 PM
Backup works fine in most cases although we do also recommend exporting hands aswell for situations like this as it dosent always work. I can ask Roy about this for you but i know hes extremely busy with meetings and development over the next few days so i cant say how quick hes reply will be.

In the meantime you can try this option which i use alot IF you backed up the PostgreSQL Data folder. Lets say your data is stored on a disk now after reformatting and your going to install PostgreSQL at C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\PostgreSQL8.3\ then copy all the files from your disk in the C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\PostgreSQL8.3\Data folder into the same location on your new drive C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\PostgreSQL8.3\ and then when you come to the installation when it asks for the password the 2nd time youll see "Initialise Database Cluster" at the top, untick and finish the installation and it should work

Also if your familar with the command prompt try this:
http://208.109.95.123/forum/showthread.php?t=1222 Roys post at the end

KittyLiquor
10-11-2008, 12:14 PM
In the meantime you can try this option which i use alot IF you backed up the PostgreSQL Data folder.

I didn't backup the PostgreSQL Data folder. I figured backing up all my hand histories and doing a regular PostgreSQL backup would be enough.

Also if your familar with the command prompt try this:
http://208.109.95.123/forum/showthread.php?t=1222 Roys post at the end

That's basically what a PostgreSQL backup is. Do you think doing a another BACKUP and RESTORE will fix my problem?

morny
10-11-2008, 01:35 PM
Well if you have the HH you can just import them but the dumpall restore is alot more succesful than a normal restore, ive seen lots of times where the restore would give errors and the dumpall worked so try that or else import all your hands into a new database

KittyLiquor
10-11-2008, 03:00 PM
The error message is "An error occurred when retrieving the player list: ERROR: 22P05: character 0x9d encoding "WIN1252" has no equivalent in "UTF8"

Somewhere you told us to use WIN1252 encoding with PostgreSQL. The error message seems to suggest that HM is trying to read the player list with a UTF8 character set. Isn't this a mistake that causes problems like this?

Can you tell me what is generating the error message? Is it PostgreSQL or HM?

Thanks

morny
10-12-2008, 11:04 AM
Have you tried Dumpall, the message is being created by PostgreSQL, im not sure what the implications are of running UTF8 instead of Win1252 and whether thats causing the problem or not, Maybe try reinstalling with UTF8 or asking on the PostgreSQL forums