PDA

View Full Version : Performance drop AFTER maintenance?

etay0330
04-18-2010, 06:55 AM
First of all let me say that HM is a great piece of software. Without HM I would never be able do what I do so efficiently.

However for whatever reasons I keep running into performance issues and this has become really annoying. It seems like every time I run into problems I can't seem to get the help that would actually solve my problems and the one thing I keep doing is reinstall everything and somehow it would start working fine again. I even went as far as getting a brand new computer.

Here's my problem this time around. I only use this computer for poker and the normal web browsing, email etc. No games, watching movies, torrents etc. I haven't done any backup or maintenance stuff since January. I did a reinstall of everything and re imported all my hands back in January as well. Since then the software has been working great. No problem whatsoever. It's been a few months so I figured it's time to do a backup and I'll do all the vacuum, re index, defrag etc while I'm at it. Turned out I probably should have just left it alone.

After backing up, exported the hands, vacuum, re index etc, the performance has dropped dramatically. For example, I played 2 sessions yesterday. One for 600 hands in about an hour and the other one was only 116 hands in 15 minutes. When I'm in the sessions tab to look the sessions I played yesterday it shows 2 sessions. When I click on the first one with 'last 100 hands' selected, it would take almost 2 minutes before the hands are shown. When I click 'all hands' it would take about the same amount of time. Now if I click on the second session, it would take just as long to show just 116 hands. I know I can get rid of $ won, winners and winner's cards but it was working fine right before the maintenance but now it's all too slow. I need to have those columns in my sessions tab because it's one of my session review process. I look at the biggest hands during that session, even if I'm not involved in the hands. Without $ won it's impossible to do so.

I don't know what else to tell you. If you say I need to do maintenance I just did. It was working fine until after I did all the steps in the 'top 10 performance' thread.

This computer is less than 1 year old and it's almost the best I could get at that time without getting SSD drives. I don't believe it's hardware related. I don't really feel like starting over again and have to re import the hands. It should not be this way. But I have a bad feelings that I might have to do that.

A little more info about my database. I have around 4 databases. 3 of them are really small ones I was running some test on and I can delete them if you think it will help. The main one has just a tad over one million hands so it's not a huge database at all. It's all hands that I've played. I do not datamine.

I'm running Windows 7 64bit with all the administration rights assigned to all the programs needed. 4gb of ram. I did not install anything new recently. The only I did before it started performing bad was backup, exported the hands in dbcontrol, vacuum and re index in pgAdmin.

Any suggestion is greatly appreciated. I don't mind setting up a teamviewer session to show what I'm talking about. Thanks in advance for you help.

morny
04-18-2010, 02:20 PM
Hi,

Can you confirm if the problems with slow loading is then solved after removing the winner columns, i know that dosent solve the problem but we just want to know for information. In the meantime ill refer your post to Pat who wrote the top 10 tips thread as he would be more qualified to answer this

Patvs
04-18-2010, 02:26 PM
Are you using SQL 8.3.x or 8.4.x?
Did you ever upgrade those to the latest version? 8.3.10, 8.4.3?)

Did you edit the postgresql.conf file?
Do you have a proper .backup file of your 1 million hand database?

etay0330
04-18-2010, 06:45 PM
Hi,

Can you confirm if the problems with slow loading is then solved after removing the winner columns, i know that dosent solve the problem but we just want to know for information. In the meantime ill refer your post to Pat who wrote the top 10 tips thread as he would be more qualified to answer this

Yes I can confirm that loading is fast after removing those columns.

Are you using SQL 8.3.x or 8.4.x?
Did you ever upgrade those to the latest version? 8.3.10, 8.4.3?)

Did you edit the postgresql.conf file?
Do you have a proper .backup file of your 1 million hand database?

I'm using postgres8.3, not sure if it's the latest version though. How do I check? All I know is it's 8.3.x, not sure what that x is.

I guess I do. It's the one I just made. I also have exported hands from the same database, the ones that you do from the database control panel.

Patvs
04-18-2010, 07:31 PM
Download SQL 8.3.10 from PostgreSQL: The world's most advanced open source database (http://www.postgresql.org)
And update your SQL.
(you can RESTORE your .backup to any 8.3.x version if something goes wrong)

Also I would install SQL 8.4.3 on port 5433 (set the port to the firewall exceptions). And only import a couple of hands to 8.4.3 as a test.
(if 8.3 and 8.4 use different port numbers they can co-exist next to each other, without interfering with each other).

If the 8.3.10 update doesn't improve anything, import a bunch of files into 8.4.3 to see if those import speeds are higher. (edit the postgresql.conf file in the 8.4 folder FIST and reboot)