PDA

View Full Version : People that daily import huge amount of hands, any tips for speed?

dare_v
04-17-2010, 01:14 PM
I've recently started to daily import high amount of hands (~50.000) and its causing me huge performance drop and very slow hands import.

My machine is Core 2 Duo 2Ghz, 3GB of RAM and a SSD drive. Running Win 7 64 bit with PostreSQL 3.4 installed.

I've read the long thread about tips to improve performance, but nothing seems to help.

I vacuum database each day, after I finish playing and before I import batch of hands.

Each time the start of importing is quite fast (~50h/s), but after some minutes, it drops drasticly, down to 2h/s.

I am sure I am not the only one doing this and would like to hear from other people too, what is their import speed and if there are any ideas how to improve my import speed. The most important thing would be to prevent import speed decreasing, I am fine with 50h/s speed, if it would stick there.

I doubt that even I7 cpu and RAID 0 with SSD would improve anything, it seems to me there is some cache error, or its just postresql thingy?

fozzy71
04-17-2010, 02:51 PM
There are a ton of threads about this. Try searching 'import speed' and/or 'large database', etc.

These are my cliff not suggestions for normal user maintenance.

1 - Close HM and Open PGAdmin

2 - connect to postgresql server and then to the DB. Password is postgrespass in case you ever need it.

3 - Right-Click > Maintenance on the DB.

4 - Vacuum, Full, Analyze > OK

Wait for it to finish and change the greyed out OK button to a Done button.

Do that ever 10 -30k hands.

Every 50 - 100k hands, after finishing the steps above:

A - Right-Click > Maintenance on the DB.

B - Reindex > OK

Wait for it to finish and change the greyed out OK button to a Done button.

Next we need to Stop the PostgreSQL service so the Defragmenter can Defrag the Database.

Start > Programs > PostgreSQL 8,4 > Stop Server

Open Smart Defrag > Select both drive letter checkboxes > Analyze

Pick suggested Defrag process > Start Defrag

After Smart Defrag finishes you should restart your computer.

If you need to use HM before you restart your PC, then you need to Start Server.

Start > Programs > PostgreSQL 8,4 > Start Server

jenkulle
04-17-2010, 10:00 PM
http://forums.holdemmanager.com/manager-general/11194-top-10-hem-performance-increase-tips.html