PDA

View Full Version : Importing Large # of hands

ClutchCity
04-12-2010, 03:59 PM
I'm loading a big DB onto a new computer. I selected the import from folder option. There was around 850 files in the folder, and the import was going really slow - around 50hands/sec. I then split up the files and put 100 in 9 separate folders and tried doing each folder one by one. That didn't make it any better. I think I remember hearing somewhere that the manual import speeds up after time, but if anything it only slows down. Does a manual import just not go that fast?

fozzy71
04-12-2010, 04:47 PM
Import speed has a lot to do with the size of the text files being imported. The larger the text files are the slower it will import. Separating them wont help speed up the process in anyway. It just allows you to do them in smaller groups, perhaps overnight while sleeping. Then you can still use your computer and play poker during the day before importing another group the next night. I would suggest you vacuum your DB in between each large import group as well.

if you search these forums for 'import speed' you will find some similar threads discussing it.

For regular DB maintenance, to help keep your DB running well and connected:

1 - Close HM and Open PGAdmin

2 - connect to postgresql server and then to the DB. Password is postgrespass in case you ever need it.

3 - Right-Click > Maintenance on the DB.

4 - Vacuum, Full, Analyze > OK

Wait for it to finish and change the greyed out OK button to a Done button.

Do that ever 10 -30k hands.

Every 50 - 100k hands, after finishing the steps above:

A - Right-Click > Maintenance on the DB.

B - Reindex > OK

Wait for it to finish and change the greyed out OK button to a Done button.

Next we need to Stop the PostgreSQL service so the Defragmenter can Defrag the Database.

Start > Programs > PostgreSQL 8,4 > Stop Server

Open Smart Defrag > Select both drive letter checkboxes > Analyze

Pick suggested Defrag process > Start Defrag

After Smart Defrag finishes you should restart your computer.

If you need to use HM before you restart your PC, then you need to Start Server.

Start > Programs > PostgreSQL 8,4 > Start Server

ClutchCity
04-12-2010, 04:49 PM
okay, thanks for the tips, Fozzy.