PDA

View Full Version : Postgres problem

-mega-
04-12-2010, 02:51 AM
Hi, sorry for coming with this problem, must be very boring for you to always get threads about postgres.

This feels weird because I had hm for like 18 months I have installed it couple of times, last time was last year in October I think.

But couple a fays ago I format my computer and was going to install postgres but it feels like it's impossible.

I run win7 32 bit

I have turned of firewall, defender, uac opened an account for administrator even turned off my antivirus program.

Before when I did all this I got postgres to run.

The message's I get when trying to install is:

A non-fatal error occured whilst loading database modules. Please check the installation log.

Another message I get:

Error stopping postgresql 8.3 (not the newest version but I tried it)

Another: Problem running post-install step. Installation may not complete correctly The database cluster initatioalation failed.

What can I do the get postgres to run ?

netsrak
04-12-2010, 03:22 AM
You can try 8.4 (we have some systems where 8.3 fails and 8.4 works and some systems the other way round).

Another thing to try: your error message says "cluster initialization failed". This can be a problem with your filesystem. Are you trying to install on another partition than C:? Please try on C: or anywhere else.

-mega-
04-12-2010, 03:41 AM
You can try 8.4 (we have some systems where 8.3 fails and 8.4 works and some systems the other way round).

Another thing to try: your error message says "cluster initialization failed". This can be a problem with your filesystem. Are you trying to install on another partition than C:? Please try on C: or anywhere else.

I've tried to install both 8.3 and 8.4 same problem and its on C: I'm trying to install it. Don't know what to do with this should be working I think but it isn't
Any ideas what I can do to get it to working ?

netsrak
04-12-2010, 03:45 AM
Please try to uninstall any 3rd party firewall, defender and virusscanner and try again.

-mega-
04-12-2010, 03:54 AM
Please try to uninstall any 3rd party firewall, defender and virusscanner and try again.

I did made the settings so firewall and defender was turned of but you want me to uninstall it completely ? If so how can I uninstall it when it's from windows ?

netsrak
04-12-2010, 09:01 AM
Ok, you can't install the standard windows firewall but that should not be a problem. I thought you had any 3rd party firewall installed.

But please remove Defender - this is an outdated Microsoft product. You should use Microsoft security essentials instead.

For the next postgresql installation try: in the postgresql folder should be some log files somewhere where you might find a reason for the installation failure.

-mega-
05-01-2010, 03:41 PM
Ok, you can't install the standard windows firewall but that should not be a problem. I thought you had any 3rd party firewall installed.

But please remove Defender - this is an outdated Microsoft product. You should use Microsoft security essentials instead.

For the next postgresql installation try: in the postgresql folder should be some log files somewhere where you might find a reason for the installation failure.

Maybe you can help me, I did not copy all because it was 100 % but here is the log when it becomes a problem

Extract: TestFirewall.exe... 100%
Extract: TestFirewall.exe.config... 100%
Antivirus Installed: False
test antivirus returned 0
seclogon error status: 0
seclogon status: 4
firewall enabled: 0
firewall not enabled
postgresql error status: 1060
postgresql status: 0
starting pgsql-8.3
starting postgresql-8.4
postgres installdir: C:\Program Files\PSQLINSTALL
==================== running PsqlTestClient
try userid: postgres
try pass: postgrespass
Connection to database failed: -->could not connect to server: Connection refused (0x0000274D/10061)
Is the server running on host "127.0.0.1" and accepting
TCP/IP connections on port 5432?
<--error
testclient return status: 1
testclient return from file: 1
==================== finished PsqlTestClient
granting write permission on top level postgres directory
found dir
try rename C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.4 --> C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.4-prev-2010-23-Apr-00-51-39
Create folder: C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.4-prev-2010-23-Apr-00-51-39
Moving files: C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.4\*.* to C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.4-prev-2010-23-Apr-00-51-39\
Remove folder: C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.4\
renamed dir
wrote testfile
Delete file: C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\testfile
Extract: postgresql-8.4.1-1-windows.exe... 100%
Execute: "C:\Program Files\PSQLINSTALL\postgresql-8.4.1-1-windows.exe" --mode unattended --superpassword postgrespass
postgres installdir: C:\Program Files\PSQLINSTALL
==================== running PsqlTestClient
try userid: postgres
Connection to database failed: -->could not connect to server: Connection refused (0x0000274D/10061)
<--error
testclient return status: 1
testclient return from file: 1
==================== finished PsqlTestClient

fozzy71
05-02-2010, 03:08 PM
1) Uninstall PostgreSQL from the Windows Control Panel.
2) run the command - start > programs > accessories > command prompt > right-click > run as administrator

net user postgres /delete
4) reboot.
5) Install PostgreSQL 8.3.9 from this link - http://www.holdemmanager.com/downloads/Postgres_8.3.9-v1.0.7.exe

-mega-
05-03-2010, 06:06 AM
2) run the command - start > programs > accessories > command prompt > right-click > run as administrator

4) reboot.
5) Install PostgreSQL 8.3.9 from this link - http://www.holdemmanager.com/downloads/Postgres_8.3.9-v1.0.7.exe

I just did that and when I try to install it it stops in the middle.

Here I copy the last things in the log

Extract: utf8_and_win.pdb... 100%
Extract: uuid-ossp.pdb... 100%
Extract: vacuumdb.pdb... 100%
Extract: vacuumlo.pdb... 100%
Extract: zic.pdb... 100%
Output folder: C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.3
Create folder: C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.3\data <--- Here it stops and its just half the way

netsrak
05-03-2010, 09:34 AM
Please schedule a remote support session with our support. Email support@holdemmanager.net, with a link to this thread and your forum name, so we can setup a Teamviewer (http://www.holdemmanager.net/teamviewer) session.

doomedbroke
05-03-2010, 12:53 PM

4) reboot.

Im in da same boat.. will try this, all other options has been tried, im almost getting PT3.. lol, as if they dont use PostgreSQL..

And seriously again, Postgr suddenly stopped working for days/weeks, then it whitout warning started working again, i didnt change anything..

Now Ive reistalled W7 from scratch and Postgres again starts messing me up...

Nuf ramble, trying this now...

fozzy71
05-04-2010, 08:13 PM
OP's problem was solved by changing the Windows Regional Settings > Format tab to English (USA).

Yauheni
05-17-2010, 03:47 PM
OP's problem was solved by changing the Windows Regional Settings > Format tab to English (USA).

Hi!

I have a very similar problem. Everything was working fine, but then I had to reinstall Windows. Now I have Vista.

I have disabled Windows Defender, Firewall etc, and don't have any antivirus software installed.

When i try to install Holdem Manager and Postgres I get the following error:

<--error

If I use steps proposed by fozzy71:

PHP Code:
4) reboot.
5) Install PostgreSQL 8.3.9 from this link - http://www.holdemmanager.com/downloads/Pos...3.9-v1.0.7.exe

Here I get exactly the same mistake as -mega-.

As I understand the problem was solved "by changing the Windows Regional Settings > Format tab to English (USA)"

I have a laptop with a Russian version of Windows and even if I change Format tab to English (USA) it doesn't help. What else can I do to fix the problem?

morny
05-17-2010, 07:53 PM
Can you post a screeshot the of the number,date,time and currency TABs in the regional settings and ill see if anything is off.

You could also try this version PostgreSQL: Choose a Mirror (http://wwwmaster.postgresql.org/download/mirrors-ftp/binary/v8.2.13/win32/postgresql-8.2.13-1.zip)

-mega-
06-30-2010, 08:05 PM
Hi, sorry for coming with this problem, must be very boring for you to always get threads about postgres.

This feels weird because I had hm for like 18 months I have installed it couple of times, last time was last year in October I think.

But couple a fays ago I format my computer and was going to install postgres but it feels like it's impossible.

I run win7 32 bit

I have turned of firewall, defender, uac opened an account for administrator even turned off my antivirus program.

Before when I did all this I got postgres to run.

The message's I get when trying to install is:

A non-fatal error occured whilst loading database modules. Please check the installation log.

Another message I get:

Error stopping postgresql 8.3 (not the newest version but I tried it)

Another: Problem running post-install step. Installation may not complete correctly The database cluster initatioalation failed.

What can I do the get postgres to run ?

Hi again, same problem cant install postgres on my new computer now I use windows64 I did change the language to english/usa (that was the problem last time).

I get this message

Problem running post-install step. Installation may not complete correctly The database cluster initialisation failed.

Would really appreciate if we could set up a time on team viewer ?

netsrak
07-02-2010, 03:39 AM
Please download and install postgresql 8.4 from PostgreSQL: The world's most advanced open source database (http://www.postgresql.org).
If that doesn't work please try 8.3.

If you still need help please arrange a teamviewer session with support@holdemmanager.com. Please add a link to this thread and explain your problem.

-mega-
08-05-2010, 08:04 AM
Same problem again and recieve this message

Problem running post-install step- Installation may not complete corectyly The database cluster initialisation failed

I have done everything that is written in this thread nothing works, please help.

Edit: I just sent an email and hopefully problem will be solved by teamviewer session.