PDA

View Full Version : SSD Harddrive installation advice

drgenefish
04-08-2010, 08:32 AM
I got a new SSD drive as recommended for some more speed. Is there a guide somewhere for installation? I am going to install windows xp pro on it. How do I move HEM and my database over and retain all of the settings I have made both with HEM and postgres? Any way to keep my windows settings I made for optimized performance? should I install all of my mouse / video card drivers again? Do I uninstall windows on the old harddrive when i'm done?

any advice would be great..thanks.

Arizona Willie
04-08-2010, 01:17 PM
My advice would be to dump XP and go to Windows 7 64 bit.

It's rock solid. No service pack even needed with Windows 7.

Just to mention one little advantage of Windows 7 -- programs can write directly to CD's and DVD's without having to use packet writing software.

First use a program like Acronis True Image to make a backup of your entire drive.

Second make a Recovery disk for that backup program.

Then you can install your new SSD and boot with the Recovery disk and restore your backup onto the new drive and you should be in business.

You can leave Windows on the old hard drive if you wish. I always put the old drive in and keep it for quite awhile to make sure that if something goes awry I can at least copy my data files from the old drive.

Once your new drive is up and running you can delete the old operating system from the old drive cause you don't need it anymore. But -- if some disaster hit -- and the new drive didn't work or restoring didn't work for some unknown reason, in a worst case scenario you can always put the old drive back in position and make it your boot drive again and get online to get help and get access to any program you might need while figuring out what went wrong.

I always maintain at least two separate backups. i backup to one drive on Monday and another drive on Thursday. Murphy's law is ALWAYS waiting to strike.

Patvs
04-08-2010, 09:07 PM
Which SSD?
If it supports TRIM you definitely want Windows 7.
Also the SSD speed is related to the CLUSTER SIZE when you defrag the drive. And only Vista/Windows 7 installation will use the correct size by default.

If you really want to use XP SP3, do some googling how you change the cluster size.

Also read: http://forums.holdemmanager.com/manager-general/11194-top-10-hem-performance-increase-tips.html

drgenefish
04-08-2010, 11:52 PM
Which SSD?
If it supports TRIM you definitely want Windows 7.
Also the SSD speed is related to the CLUSTER SIZE when you defrag the drive. And only Vista/Windows 7 installation will use the correct size by default.

If you really want to use XP SP3, do some googling how you change the cluster size.

Also read: http://forums.holdemmanager.com/manager-general/11194-top-10-hem-performance-increase-tips.html

it doesn't support TRIM. I want to keep XP because I am going to give this computer to someone who wants XP in about a year and buy a new computer then.

What cluster size should I change to?