PDA

View Full Version : Installing PostgreSQL on second drive / Linux

ACTIONFREAK
04-07-2010, 03:35 PM
I have a machine running Ubuntu 9.10. I want to install a second hard drive for PostgreSQL and connect to it over my network from my Windows PC. PostgreSQL is not installed yet. I am basically just looking for the best ways to install this.

I did search around and found this guide for installing PostgreSQL on Linux but it doesn't discuss installing to a secondary hard drive.

FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Install PostgreSQL with Linux (http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/73/Install+PostgreSQL+with+Linux+)

A) Is it best to format the hard drive as EXT3?
B) I want the PostgreSQL database to be on the new hard drive.. how do I do that?
C) Can I install the PostgreSQL server on the new hard drive? Is there any advantage to doing it that way?

netsrak
04-08-2010, 03:29 AM
You should use the Ubuntu Postgresql installation documentation.

We are not the Ubuntu experts here - although i'm using it too :D

ACTIONFREAK
04-08-2010, 10:50 AM
I have been searching on how to do this. It is better to get advice from a poker perspective however.. this is a new install and I would like to get it right if possible.

netsrak
04-09-2010, 03:33 AM
But your questions have nothing to do with a poker related view, its just a basic postgresql installation with some special installation requirements.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PostgreSQL

I'll try to answer your questions:
A) EXT3 is the standard linux filesystem. In newer releases you have EXT4 too. You can use both of them
B) No idea, you should read the postgresql installation. You possibly can create a separate tablespace on the 2nd harddisk after the basic postgresql installation
C) Please check the postgresql installation documentation. I think you will have some performance improvements if you have the postgresql server on HDD1 and the database on HDD2.

ACTIONFREAK
04-09-2010, 05:03 PM
I think I have the info that I need now.. if all goes well I will come back and give some info