PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way to limit the mzximum load HEM import puts on my cpu

UWjoe
04-06-2010, 03:57 PM
maxes out CPu usage every 5 seconds and its causing lag 12 tabling (which isnt much) and this lag goes away if i shut down HEM

EDIT: it maxes out cpu usage w no other prorrams running too, theres just no ill affects

its more important for me to be able to play my games than have accurate up to date stats.......

fozzy71
04-06-2010, 05:46 PM
What are your machine specs? Is it a desktop or laptop? Have you tried closing the Table Manager to disable the HUD to see if it helps reduce lag? Do you use any hotkey programs like tableninja?

Please update to the latest version - http://www.holdemmanager.net/hmupdate

For W7 and Vista you must set \holdem manager\dbcontrolpanel.exe, holdemmanager.exe and hmhud.exe are started as administrator. Run the windows explorer (start > computer) and navigate to your Holdemmanager installation directory. Right-click + Properties the executables and select "Run as admin" from the compatibility tab. If you have Vista and the checkboxes are greyed out and you can't select it, please turn UAC on, reboot, and then set the files to run as administrator.

Make sure windows is fully updated as well as your video card drivers.

UWjoe
04-06-2010, 09:44 PM
did the uac admin thing (ive def had it as admin b4 this)

will find out tommorow if it helps

tyty

UWjoe
04-08-2010, 03:01 AM
did the uac admin thing (ive def had it as admin b4 this)

will find out tommorow if it helps

tyty

seems to have helped tyty

fozzy71
04-08-2010, 03:50 PM
You should make sure to perform regular DB maintenance also for optimal performance.

1 - Close HM and Open PGAdmin

2 - connect to postgresql server and then to the DB. Password is postgrespass in case you ever need it.

3 - Right-Click > Maintenance on the DB.

4 - Vacuum, Full, Analyze > OK

Wait for it to finish and change the greyed out OK button to a Done button.

Do that ever 10 -30k hands.

Every 50 - 100k hands, after finishing the steps above:

A - Right-Click > Maintenance on the DB.

B - Reindex > OK

Next we need to Stop the PostgreSQL service so the Defragmenter can Defrag the Database.

Start > Programs > PostgreSQL 8,4 > Stop Server

Open Smart Defrag > Select both drive letter checkboxes > Analyze

Pick suggested Defrag process > Start Defrag

After Smart Defrag finishes you should restart your computer.

If you need to use HM before you restart your PC, then you need to Start Server.

Start > Programs > PostgreSQL 8,4 > Start Server

UWjoe
04-15-2010, 08:31 PM
[QUOTE=fozzy71;139064]What are your machine specs?

laptop
DEll
studio 1737
intel core 2 DUOCPU T5800 @2ghz 2.00 GHZ
3.0 GB ram
32 bit OS

Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium
Motherboard: Dell Inc. | | 0P792H
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T5800 @ 2.00GHz | U2E1 | 800/533mhz

==== Disk Partitions =========================

C: is FIXED (NTFS) - 288 GiB total, 80.344 GiB free.
D: is FIXED (NTFS) - 10 GiB total, 4.359 GiB free.

Do you use any hotkey programs like tableninja?
yes, i do but havent in a month or so

Make sure windows is fully updated as well as your video card drivers.
...... maybe??
my system tells me im current but the manufacrers website says theres a newer version...

graphics card driver question - Part Time Poker Forums (http://forum.parttimepoker.com/shooting-off-sponsored-truly-free-poker-training/690688-graphics-card-driver-question.html)

UWjoe
04-16-2010, 07:23 PM
You should make sure to perform regular DB maintenance also for optimal performance.

2 - connect to postgresql server and then to the DB. Password is postgrespass in case you ever need it.

B - Reindex > OK

Next we need to Stop the PostgreSQL service so the Defragmenter can Defrag the Database.

If you need to use HM before you restart your PC, then you need to Start Server.

did all this and settings mustve changed< no hud is displaying

Ron200
04-16-2010, 09:56 PM

B - Reindex > OK

oops I have never done this and I have over 200,000 hands. Will this take a long time since its so many hands?

netsrak
04-17-2010, 07:31 AM
200.000 hands is nearly nothing :)
But it will take some time (an hour or sth. like that)

fozzy71
04-18-2010, 04:01 PM
did all this and settings mustve changed< no hud is displaying

If you are still having HUD issues it is doubtful the vacuum or defrag caused it.

Please update to the latest beta - http://www.holdemmanager.net/hmbetaupdate

Make sure the hand histories and poker client are in English. Set your Windows Regional and Language Settings to English (US). Restart your PC.

Try the table finder - FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Configuring Table Finder to Show HUD (http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/60/Configuring+Table+Finder+to+Show+HUD+)

*If that doesn't help, please answer these questions - FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: My HUD Doesn&#039;t Work (http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/48/My+HUD+Doesn't+Work)

UWjoe
05-29-2010, 02:40 PM
just letting you know this is still an issue

average cpu usage w hem running 10 tabling across 2 clients 90% + frequently clipped at 100

shut down hem that drops to 25-30%
edit actually 11-25%

this is ONLY 10 tabling.......... i like to play 20+ and unfortunatly have no idea how many tables i can profitably play since my cpu esplodes after around 20 tops

UWjoe
05-29-2010, 05:57 PM
top hem import table manager and hud running 6 tabling
bottom a few seconds after i shut it off
7-29% cpu usage just now in the last 30 seconds with it closed

http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/4987/newbitmapimage11.png

morny
05-31-2010, 06:59 AM
Can you try the top 10 performance options in my sig if you havent tried those already, they should help a lot, if the problem persists update to 1.11.01a as a lot of people reported big improvements with lag issues in those versions, lastly what antivirus are you using?

UWjoe
06-03-2010, 08:23 PM
Can you try the top 10 performance options in my sig if you havent tried those already, they should help a lot, if the problem persists update to 1.11.01a as a lot of people reported big improvements with lag issues in those versions, lastly what antivirus are you using?

AVG

ive done the "easier" 7 of 10 steps ill check back later and let you know which exactly

avg for virus protection though i cant figure out how to totally eliminate mccaffe just have it disabled

UWjoe
06-18-2010, 09:57 AM
the perfoarmance increace tips i was able to do didnt do anything

i hate hold em manager

because it should be great

UWjoe
06-18-2010, 11:06 AM
http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/3196/nohemmeansnolag.jpg

16 tabling with table ninja with frames enabled while watching a video on my other monitor

the best perfromance tip for hem is to not use it

UWjoe
06-18-2010, 06:14 PM
all venting aside if i can 20+ table (was up to 25 and experiencing no ill effects/lag) without HEM but cant 8 table without lag if HEM is importing, then the problem isnt likely to be something outside the program right

_Loki_
06-18-2010, 07:54 PM
I'm using a 6 year old laptop with 1.5MB memory, single 1.6GHz CPU running xp pro 32bit. I'm using a 56kbps MOBILE DONGLE & I can easily play 8 tables with HM running (it's 56kbps IF I'M LUCKY & it's not raining & there's not too many other dongle users in my area)
As it happens I usually only play 3 or 4 because that's where I make the best decisions

###
So...
lag with 8 tables is silly - here's some humble suggestions
have you got a huge database that you haven't maintained maybe ?
what have you NOT done from the performance tips ?

UWjoe
06-18-2010, 09:52 PM
I'm using a 6 year old laptop with 1.5MB memory, single 1.6GHz CPU running xp pro 32bit. I'm using a 56kbps MOBILE DONGLE & I can easily play 8 tables with HM running (it's 56kbps IF I'M LUCKY & it's not raining & there's not too many other dongle users in my area)
As it happens I usually only play 3 or 4 because that's where I make the best decisions

###
So...
lag with 8 tables is silly - here's some humble suggestions
have you got a huge database that you haven't maintained maybe ?
what have you NOT done from the performance tips ?

the only things i havent done are

1 hardware upgrades
2 purged (which they said wouldnt be that big a diference on half million hands,and id rather keep the hands in that case)
3 moved to postgresql8.4 which they also said wouldnt make much diference

did the rest

no joy

morny
06-18-2010, 10:20 PM
Can you try creating 2 new databases, use ansi for the first one and UTF8 for the 2nd one, import a decent sample into both and see if there is any difference

http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/75/Create+%7B47%7D+Delete+Database

UWjoe
06-21-2010, 09:13 PM
Can you try creating 2 new databases, use ansi for the first one and UTF8 for the 2nd one, import a decent sample into both and see if there is any difference

FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Create / Delete Database (http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/75/Create+%7B47%7D+Delete+Database)

whats a "decent sample"?

im starting with ascii just doing 2010 hands, and will try that out see if theres a diference

UWjoe
06-22-2010, 08:30 AM
whats a "decent sample"?

im starting with ascii just doing 2010 hands, and will try that out see if theres a diference

with Nazi like persistence and an equally evil quality auto import refuses to only import hands from the specified poker client HH folders and demands that i import 10.000 files from non specified locations (other HM dbs id imagine)

making the new database option, not an option unless i want to let auto import run for 18 hours

this shit makes me want to break things

UWjoe
06-22-2010, 08:50 AM
with Nazi like persistence and an equally evil quality auto import refuses to only import hands from the specified poker client HH folders and demands that i import 10.000 files from non specified locations (other HM dbs id imagine)

making the new database option, not an option unless i want to let auto import run for 18 hours

this shit makes me want to break things

WTF bump

_Loki_
06-22-2010, 09:18 AM
Hi UWjoe - I must be missing something, but I've not read all 3 pages of this thread so I'm sorry if i get the wrong end of the stick...

To import an identical small 'sample' into two new DB's for test purposes I would...

Make a folder on the desktop
Copy a couple of thousand hands into the new folder from HMArchive
Set one of the new DB's as default
Press 'Import from Folder' & browse to the desktop folder & import
[The import should take less than two minutes - say 25hands/sec x 120 seconds = 3,000 hands]
Set myself as hero in the DB

Make other new DB default
Repeat above from line 4

UWjoe
06-22-2010, 09:25 AM
Hi UWjoe - I must be missing something, but I've not read all 3 pages of this thread so I'm sorry if i get the wrong end of the stick...

To import an identical small 'sample' into two new DB's for test purposes I would...

Make a folder on the desktop
Copy a couple of thousand hands into the new folder from HMArchive
Set one of the new DB's as default
Press 'Import from Folder' & browse to the desktop folder & import
[The import should take less than two minutes - say 25hands/sec x 120 seconds = 3,000 hands]
Set myself as hero in the DB

Make other new DB default
Repeat above from line 4
what youre missing is that hem import wont stop there

despite not having many files in my poker client's hh storage folders and only those folders specified as auto import folders running auto import finds 10,000 files it wants to import

i cant "test" the new db without running auto import

i cant auto import without giving it 18 hours of 100% cpu usage to import those 10k files

UWjoe
06-22-2010, 09:28 AM

despite not having many files in my poker client's hh storage folders and only those folders specified as auto import folders running auto import finds 10,000 files it wants to import

i cant auto import without giving it 18 hours of 100% cpu usage to import those 10k files
i already imported from file

the file containing 2010 hands (400k)

so how do i test that db?

_Loki_
06-22-2010, 09:29 AM
FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: How to Import & Export Hands (http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/98/How+to+Import+%26+Export+Hands)
FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Normal Import Speed (http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/121/Normal+Import+Speed)

UWjoe
06-22-2010, 09:33 AM
FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: How to Import & Export Hands (http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/98/How+to+Import+%26+Export+Hands)
FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Normal Import Speed (http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/121/Normal+Import+Speed)

not following you

you want me to test the db by importing more hands manually(import from file)?

UWjoe
06-22-2010, 09:33 AM
not following you

you want me to test the db by importing more hands manually(import from file)?

am i only doing this to check the speed Hs/s

UWjoe
06-22-2010, 09:35 AM
am i only doing this to check the speed Hs/s

looks like ps is doing a server restart so this is a good time to mess with this< ill be here frequently lets try to get this fixed today

_Loki_
06-22-2010, 09:42 AM
You write this: "despite not having many files in my poker client's hh storage folders and only those folders specified as auto import folders running auto import finds 10,000 files it wants to import"

Do you mean that your Poker Client HH Folder isn't empty ? HM is supposed to move the poker client HH's into the HMArchive folder. Your poker client HH folder should be empty 15 minutes after you stop playing poker

UWjoe
06-22-2010, 09:44 AM
looks like ps is doing a server restart so this is a good time to mess with this< ill be here frequently lets try to get this fixed today

5 files 365 hands 8-11.4 hands per second for one test

if thats what you want

it was 27 hands per second when i imported the 2010 hands into my new ascii db last night

now 5/sec into same db

UWjoe
06-22-2010, 09:45 AM
You write this: "despite not having many files in my poker client's hh storage folders and only those folders specified as auto import folders running auto import finds 10,000 files it wants to import"

Do you mean that your Poker Client HH Folder isn't empty ? HM is supposed to move the poker client HH's into the HMArchive folder. Your poker client HH folder should be empty 15 minutes after you stop playing poker

i havent been using hem so theyre not empty

_Loki_
06-22-2010, 09:45 AM
no we are just cross-posting. i'm trying to understand what's happening with the paths you've set up for auto importing during play
There's somehing wrong there I think maybe

UWjoe
06-22-2010, 09:47 AM

:p

UWjoe
06-22-2010, 09:48 AM
:p

there are 3 folders specified for auto import

ps ft and ap hh storage folders

fozzy71
06-22-2010, 09:48 AM

It sounds like you have improperly configured an auto-import and/or your archive folder. HM moves the original files to an archive for performance reasons. If it has to auto-import a lot of files it will bog down the importer and the HUD. Auto Import is used for live play, not for bulk imports. Import From Folder/File(s) is for bulk imports.

Make sure all of your poker client hand history folders are empty. Make sure your archive folder is not in the same path as any auto import folders.

Your \HMArchive is likely not in your \Holdem Manager directory. We normally suggest you use C:\HMArchive, but you may have put it anywhere.

To verify the location: Options > Configure Auto Import Folders > Edit > Archive Folder: ___________________

FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Warning: You have XXX Hand History Files in your Auto Import Folders (http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/119/Warning:+You+have+XXX+Hand+History+Files+in+your+A uto+Import+Folders)

The archive should be organized by \Month\DayOfMonth (example: D:\HMArchive\2009\07\31).

If you are still unsure about which folder is which, Please attach your holdemmanager.config file from C:\Program Files(x86)\RVG Software\Holdem Manager\Config. If your extensions are off you'll just see a file called holdemmanager.

UWjoe
06-22-2010, 09:55 AM
no we are just cross-posting. i'm trying to understand what's happening with the paths you've set up for auto importing during play

this is embarassing

my fulltilt folder contains 10k files dating back to august

its set to keep hhs for 14 days

like you said hem should be set to move those files as well

never thought to actually look in that folder, just ruled it out as possibly having that many files

_Loki_
06-22-2010, 10:00 AM
You have made me laugh :) :)
I think your HM problems are coming to an end

UWjoe
06-22-2010, 10:57 AM
You have made me laugh :) :)
I think your HM problems are coming to an end
glad you laughed,
i would just about cry if hem worked, trying a set now plzplzplz!!

UWjoe
06-22-2010, 11:07 AM
:) SO FAR SO GOOD!!!
hem import bouncing cpu usage between 10-40% on only one of my 2 cpus instead of clipping both aat 100% and only dropping to 60% at best between import cycles :)

_Loki_
06-22-2010, 11:09 AM
good luck - my fingers crossed !!!

UWjoe
06-22-2010, 11:46 AM
hem import specifically is usually showing as 0% cpu usage 4pXfHLUlZf4

ooh no embedding :( :lol:

(snl jizz in my pants skit)

UWjoe
06-22-2010, 03:27 PM
i was able to 25 table with the hud with a basically empty database before lag started

that might just be the limitations of my laptop

_Loki_
06-22-2010, 04:16 PM
well done sir