PDA

View Full Version : Bitdefender Connection Problem

Jagsti
03-30-2010, 09:57 AM
Hi,

I have just d/l my updated Virus software and unfortunately I can't open HEM as a result. I get the error message 'unable to read data from the transport connection'.

I have followed the instructions for the solution to the windows firewall by adding the exceptions/rules, but I cant find anything in Bitdefender to add the PostgreSQL name and 5432 port., all other applications have been added to the rules.

I try to open up HEM and still get the error message. If I deactivate the bitdefender firewall I still can't get it to open, but if I uninstall the programme, the HEM opens. I'm using Vista btw.

FWIW, I have used HEM before with my previous version of bitdefender ver 2008, unfortunatley I no longer have this version available.

ANy thoughts?

Jagsti
03-30-2010, 10:15 AM
OK, so I Have just sussed this out after spending all day on google etc :0)

Not only do you have to add all the applications to the 'rules' in the firewall section you also have to do the same in the 'Antivirus' section as well under the 'shield' tab and advanced settings. Hope this helps if anyone else has Bitdefender problems!

fozzy71
03-30-2010, 12:22 PM
I usually just recommend a different firewall/avp if a customer has Bit Defender. :o

berserk
05-08-2010, 01:47 AM
I have a lot of issues with postgreSQL messing up and I use bitdefender, but I wouldn't be opposed to switching to a new antivirus. Do you know if there are any problems with Kapersky or recommend another good antivirus that doesnt have problems with postgreSQL?

netsrak
05-08-2010, 06:08 AM
You should differ between antivirus scanners and firewalls.

Antivirus programs usually don't cause much problems. Firewall need to be configured.
We have a general FAQ for this: FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Software Security Problems (Firewall) (http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/339/Software+Security+Problems+%28Firewall%29)

berserk
05-08-2010, 01:34 PM
I use the standard windows (XP) firewall and bitdefender as an antivirus. The firewall has an exception for port 5432 and for postgreSQL and HoldemManager; I added the port for the Antivirus section of BitDefender as well. Is the problem in the bitdefender antivirus (i assume so because lots of people use windows firewall), and would you recommend ditching it for another antivirus program?

The Minder
05-08-2010, 09:24 PM
I use the standard windows (XP) firewall and bitdefender as an antivirus. The firewall has an exception for port 5432 and for postgreSQL and HoldemManager; I added the port for the Antivirus section of BitDefender as well. Is the problem in the bitdefender antivirus (i assume so because lots of people use windows firewall), and would you recommend ditching it for another anti-virus program?
I'm guessing the HM Support folks wouldn't like to be seen to be recommending one product over another as the owners of those products might get a little miffed. But I don't work for anyone, have 30 years in the IT/PC business and have no probs calling a spade a spade. In short, bitdefender suks... get rid of it.

There are free anti-virus programs available that give a lot less problems than bitdefender... try Grisoft's AVG or Avast. Both have free versions available for home use. You still might need to do some tweaking for postgress.

Burkinator99
05-09-2010, 07:46 AM
Turning on the "Bitdefender Game mode" should fix this problem. At least it did it for me... :)

How to turn on BitDefender Game mode (http://www.downloadatoz.com/essentialware/bitdefender-internet-security/how-to-turn-on-bitdefender-game-mode_g.html)

kondor101
09-10-2012, 05:33 PM
Had this problem with the latest upgrade and as this thread came up quite high on google it seemed logical to post what I found on here. Seemed to have found a simple cure. If someone else finds this works for them please post.

I had some problems getting the latest version of HEM running, holdem manager upgrades and bitdefender do not always seem to get along. Bitdefender seems to get a bit to clever for its own good sometimes and postgres connections seem to highlight them.

I had already alowed the new postgres, and the new HEM, put it in game mode ect and was a bit baffled why I was still being shown the connection problems screen / window in HEM for postgres. It just would not connect.

Note, I had firefox open when I did this, which may or may not help. I finally tried "repair" from the bitdefender menu under Start/All Programs/Bitdefender 2013/repair or uninstall (I am using XP, but I dare say other OS have a simular start menu.

When it starts to repair itself it does so by turning itself off, then uninstalling itself before reinstalling itself. As it had turned itself off I decided to try to connect. It worked! I then hit the next button, HEM rebuilt its databases ect and all the other stuff it does before my hud finally apeared.

While HEM was doing its stuff, butdefender complained that firefox was open. It held at that point asking me if I wanted to cancel ect. I decided to do nothing until HEM had finished settiing itself up. After Hem had finished its stuff I continued.

Eventually bitdefender had reinstalled, everything was still working fine. I let it reboot eventually too (like any poker player worth his salt I waited for the break before letting it reboot.

Rebooted, everything works fine.

So to make it clear, start bitdefenders repair to turn off bitdefender and while it is uninstalling get HEM up and running so that when bitdefender is reinstalled it accepts the whole HEM postgres partnership as a valid event. Leaving firefox running may cause the uninstaller to pause itself long enough to allow HEM to set everything up that it needs to run. Eventuially bitdefender should reinstall itself and ask for a restart.

Hope this helps someone.

aenetomic
10-02-2012, 02:52 PM
Confirmed that this tip works (at least in part). Click repair with firefox running to interrupt the repair. restart HM2 once BitDefender prompts you to close firefox. Start service, re-try connection. Then select your database.

I'm about to finish the fix and restart. Hopefully it doesn't stop working after this. fingers crossed.

Had this problem with the latest upgrade and as this thread came up quite high on google it seemed logical to post what I found on here. Seemed to have found a simple cure. If someone else finds this works for them please post.

I had some problems getting the latest version of HEM running, holdem manager upgrades and bitdefender do not always seem to get along. Bitdefender seems to get a bit to clever for its own good sometimes and postgres connections seem to highlight them.

I had already alowed the new postgres, and the new HEM, put it in game mode ect and was a bit baffled why I was still being shown the connection problems screen / window in HEM for postgres. It just would not connect.

Note, I had firefox open when I did this, which may or may not help. I finally tried "repair" from the bitdefender menu under Start/All Programs/Bitdefender 2013/repair or uninstall (I am using XP, but I dare say other OS have a simular start menu.

When it starts to repair itself it does so by turning itself off, then uninstalling itself before reinstalling itself. As it had turned itself off I decided to try to connect. It worked! I then hit the next button, HEM rebuilt its databases ect and all the other stuff it does before my hud finally apeared.

While HEM was doing its stuff, butdefender complained that firefox was open. It held at that point asking me if I wanted to cancel ect. I decided to do nothing until HEM had finished settiing itself up. After Hem had finished its stuff I continued.

Eventually bitdefender had reinstalled, everything was still working fine. I let it reboot eventually too (like any poker player worth his salt I waited for the break before letting it reboot.

Rebooted, everything works fine.

So to make it clear, start bitdefenders repair to turn off bitdefender and while it is uninstalling get HEM up and running so that when bitdefender is reinstalled it accepts the whole HEM postgres partnership as a valid event. Leaving firefox running may cause the uninstaller to pause itself long enough to allow HEM to set everything up that it needs to run. Eventuially bitdefender should reinstall itself and ask for a restart.

Hope this helps someone.