PDA

View Full Version : Why is thread locked ?

_Loki_
03-29-2010, 02:47 AM
I might have misunderstood what's happening here, but this thread has a poll. So is this thread locked because someone at HM has decided that this suggestion is a non-flyer ?
http://forums.holdemmanager.com/holdem-manager-suggestions/28375-import-fonction-stats-only-no-need-purge-hh.html

If that was the reason - I think it's a BAD reason, because someone MIGHT think of a way of getting the suggestion off the ground. By locking the thread you inhibit discussion & the improvement of a fundamentally good idea. I wanted to contribute an idea to this suggestion by jenkulle & I can't post

Also I think you are going to have to have a new sub-forum where you can park 'no poll' locked threads :)

or perhaps make it that newly created threads from the suggestions forums can't be submitted without the poll option ?

fozzy71
03-29-2010, 02:46 PM
I might have misunderstood what's happening here, but this thread has a poll. So is this thread locked because someone at HM has decided that this suggestion is a non-flyer ?
http://forums.holdemmanager.com/holdem-manager-suggestions/28375-import-fonction-stats-only-no-need-purge-hh.html

If that was the reason - I think it's a BAD reason, because someone MIGHT think of a way of getting the suggestion off the ground. By locking the thread you inhibit discussion & the improvement of a fundamentally good idea. I wanted to contribute an idea to this suggestion by jenkulle & I can't post

Agreed and I unlocked it. I also locked a couple that I later unlocked. I now dont see much of a purpose to locking any threads/polls once they have been approved and opened to the public. If it is a bad idea or impossible it will quickly fall to the bottom of the pages or garner a bunch of no votes.

These suggestions forums will take some time and a bit of back and forth to work out all the wrinkles. Ultimately it will be much better for the customers and the tech team I believe. It will just take some time until we all learn what works the best.

Also I think you are going to have to have a new sub-forum where you can park 'no poll' locked threads :)

I will probably end up deleting any locked threads eventually, as the only locked threads should be threads without a poll. Perhaps it might be better if I quote and PM it to the OP and ask them to repost with a poll so I can delete it immediately instead of having to look for them later.

or perhaps make it that newly created threads from the suggestions forums can't be submitted without the poll option ?

I don't believe this is possible. It is also not possible for us to add a poll to an existing thread which is why I decided on the moderated forum. This way one of the tech team basically has to see and OK every suggestion (to be sure it was posted with a poll). It is more work for us but I think it is best that our tech team have an intimate knowledge of all the feature suggestions.

_Loki_
03-29-2010, 03:13 PM
thanks

I will probably end up deleting any locked threads eventually, as the only locked threads should be threads without a poll. Perhaps it might be better if I quote and PM it to the OP and ask them to repost with a poll so I can delete it immediately instead of having to look for them later

Meaning the suggestion doesn't appear in the forums until it's resubmitted correctly by the OP with a poll? Seems right if that's what you mean by 'delete immediately'

a.k.a.Also
03-29-2010, 03:40 PM
If it is a bad idea or impossible it will quickly fall to the bottom of the pages or garner a bunch of no votes.

Is acceptance of ideas onto the todo list always only going to be the most popular?

I would have thought that if the development team see an idea has legs, and would be worthwhile implementing, they just add it to the list of future features and then move the thread to an accepted sub-folder out of the way.

morny
03-29-2010, 04:09 PM
I locked that thread sorry!, guess it will take a few days to sort out the best way to run this so its very much work in progress.

The reason i locked it was because for HM to create a stat like VPIP/VPIP or any stat it has to run a query off a couple of tables and it cant find the stats on the fly by skimming the hand history, the only way to do this is to import the full hand first, then do the calculations.

So it would have to import the whole hand, cache the stats and then purge the hand and keep the stats, this will slow the import process and its already possible to import hand and purge them and keep stats so i figured although the idea is quite good, even if it got 1000 votes i don't think it would be implemented so maybe if someone can expand on that idea and figure out a better way it would have a lot more chance of being accepted by the developers if it gains legs.

Also there is observed hand history options that allow you to import only hands that meet certain requirements like a stake, or pot size, or that seen a flop. This is easier to scan the hand history for pot size/stake as its just analyzing one hand but to get stats it needs to scan all the hands so this is why it needs to import it first

I agree with Fozzy just to let things fly and if they are bad ideas they wont get votes so ill do that instead anymore as it makes more sense than locking it, just trying to provide some feedback so they could re-think it and maybe come up with a similar but better idea that would work as i do like the idea being a big data-miner myself.

_Loki_
03-29-2010, 07:56 PM
What I was thinking about... Imagine if hands are imported & purged to just leave the player stats & call that 'stats only' info

In theory & practise:
Can this 'stats only' info be moved from one DB to another DB ?
Why don't HH suppliers sell 'stats only' info for download rather than raw HH's ?
Can 'stats only' info on one DB be merged with 'stats only' info on another DB ?

morny
03-30-2010, 06:44 PM
It depends, at the end of the day the feature needs to be appealing.

if your talking importing 50,000 hands from a bulk import you bought, then the import time is the same but you've added on the time it takes to purge the hands, dont forget someone can purge their database overnight once a week manually and they can do it when it suits them. So im not sure if someone will be happy to increase their import time to save some disk space that they can save afterwards anyway.

If your talking manually importing mined hands, then it would make more sense, since the purge probably wouldn't be noticed timewize.

The main idea appealed to me was importing just stats and the way the database is structured i think this would be quite difficult to implement. There isnt a folder in the database where the stats are stored as such, it just scans the VPIP column or whatever stat it is and calculates it so its not quite as simple as just importing stats or export stats to another database.

This is just my opinion looking at the database structure but there maybe an easier way or it may be possible.

_Loki_
03-31-2010, 02:01 PM
Thanks Morny

I don't have experience of DB's much except for the types used in sales operations - contact DB's where you can pull together customers in a geographical area who use a particular product etc etc. Very simple stuff that doesn't change much.

Someone posted recently asking if there there was a 'schema' available for HM & the reply (I think) was 'no'. So when you write "This is just my opinion looking at the database structure but..." - is that what a schema is ?

morny
03-31-2010, 03:37 PM
There isnt an official schema available, it usually describes what each table and column is but if you use PGadminIII (Start > Programs > PostgreSQL > PGadmin III) login and click on the database you use, expand the database node > expand the schema node > expand the public Node > expand the table node. Then youll see all the tables, if you right click on any table you can select view last 100 and it will show you the values of the last 100 rows. Thats how i checkout the database and i guess its a matter of playing around with the different filters etc that gets you more familiar with it

_Loki_
03-31-2010, 08:32 PM
Thank you - I will see what I can learn

8sunridge
04-05-2010, 04:58 PM
There isnt an official schema available

Why not?

morny
04-05-2010, 05:08 PM
Didnt get around to writing one but there is tons of info in the custom releases forum its just not pieced together yet