PDA

View Full Version : Failed to establish connection (win 7)

transbetacism
03-26-2010, 03:52 AM
I got a new computer yesterday with windows 7 installed. I installed holdem manager and the postgres install that was included in that installation.

It worked fine yesterday, I imported some hands and could use HEM properly. This morning I started the computer again and imported some new hands. When I had to go I cancelled the import, waited until it cancelled, closed the program and the computer.

Now when i started the computer again (at another location, if that could make any difference), it won't start holdem. I get the following message:

"The following error accured when tryong to open the database: Failed to establish a connection to '127.0.0.1'."

HEM askes if i want to try to start the service, but then I get the message:

"Was unable to start the service". Then another message:
"Holdem Manager has started the service. Please try again."

But it still doesn't work. What can i do?

EDIT: When I try to connect with pgAdmin III I get the message:
"could not connect to server: Connection refused (0x0000274D/10061) Is the server running on host "127.0.0.1" and accepting TCP/IP connections on port 5432?"

transbetacism
03-26-2010, 03:54 AM
Btw, I have done the steps descriped in the thread:
***Windows 7 and Holdem Manager***

netsrak
03-26-2010, 06:55 AM
Please check our postgresql and firewall FAQs:

FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Can't Connect / Failed to Start PostgreSQL (http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/91/Can%27t+Connect+%7B47%7D+Failed+to+Start+PostgreSQ L+)

FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Software Security Problems (Firewall) (http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/339/Software+Security+Problems+%28Firewall%29)

transbetacism
03-26-2010, 12:20 PM
It doesn't work...

I'm thinking about removing McAfee, but how can it work in the morning and then it can't connect 2 hours later? Should I try to reinstall postgres intstead?

Btw, i tried the "Logon using Local System Account" step and when i change back to log on using This account: .\postgres - i wasn't sure what password to type. Is it" postgrespass"?

netsrak
03-26-2010, 12:46 PM
Yes, the default password is postgrespass.

It can have something to do with the network configuration at the other location.

Uninstalling might be worth a try.

transbetacism
03-26-2010, 12:53 PM
Hey,
I'm back home and it's still not working. I uninstalled McAfee and it's still not working...

I still can't connect to PostgreSQL 8.4(localhost:5432) using pgAdminIII either. It doesn't ever matter what password i type, it just says:

Server doesn't listen
The server doesn't accept connections: the connection library reports
could not connect to server: Connection refused (0x0000274D/10061) Is the server running on host "127.0.0.1" and accepting TCP/IP connections on port 5432?
If you encounter this message, please check if the server you're trying to contact is actually running PostgreSQL on the given port. Test if you have network connectivity from your client to the server host using ping or equivalent tools. Is your network / VPN / SSH tunnel / firewall configured correctly?
For security reasons, PostgreSQL does not listen on all available IP addresses on the server machine initially. In order to access the server over the network, you need to enable listening on the address first.
For PostgreSQL servers starting with version 8.0, this is controlled using the "listen_addresses" parameter in the postgresql.conf file. Here, you can enter a list of IP addresses the server should listen on, or simply use '*' to listen on all available IP addresses. For earlier servers (Version 7.3 or 7.4), you'll need to set the "tcpip_socket" parameter to 'true'.
You can use the postgresql.conf editor that is built into pgAdmin III to edit the postgresql.conf configuration file. After changing this file, you need to restart the server process to make the setting effective.
If you double-checked your configuration but still get this error message, it's still unlikely that you encounter a fatal PostgreSQL misbehaviour. You probably have some low level network connectivity problems (e.g. firewall configuration). Please check this thoroughly before reporting a bug to the PostgreSQL community.

I wanna try to solve this before I install another antivirus software, since that can cause problems, but it doesn't feel safe not to have any antivirus software. I have alot of stuff I have to install since I have a new computer.

Anyway, I followed the seteps where I made sure HEM and postgreSQL has full access, openes with administratror rights etc. Could I have messed something up then? I doubt it, but this is so weird....

netsrak
03-27-2010, 05:49 AM
Is the Postgresql service running? You see it in the windows services.

If yes can you connect via pgadminIII?

If no search for the hidden file postmaster.pid in the postgresql data folder, delete it and try to restart the service.

transbetacism
03-27-2010, 08:15 AM
Is the Postgresql service running? You see it in the windows services.

If yes can you connect via pgadminIII?

If no search for the hidden file postmaster.pid in the postgresql data folder, delete it and try to restart the service.
No, the service is not running and I can't start it.

As i said, I can't connect via pgadminIII. It say's the service isn't listening (see full message in my previous post).

When i try starting the service with the account ".\postgres" "postgrespass" i get the message (my attempt to translate to english): "Couldn't start the service PostgreSQL Server 8.4 on Local computer. Error 1069: The service couldn't start because of logon porblems". I get this message instantly.

When i try loggin on using local system account it takes longer time to try to connect, but finally i get the message: "Couldn't start the service PostgreSQL Server 8.4 on Local computer. Error 1053: The service timed out"

Don't know if this helps, but when I open Parental Control from the control panel; I have two users. "Jocke" (me), administrator and postgres (standard user). I obv turned off the parental control for postgres, but I can't find any way to make this user administrator.

I can't find the file postmaster.pid (i am showing hidden files).

EDIT: netsrak you have a PM

transbetacism
03-27-2010, 10:45 AM
I got tired and I uninstalled HEM and postgreSQL and installed it again. Works fine so far.

fozzy71
03-27-2010, 11:25 AM
Here is the process I follow to fix these issues:

This is usually a firewall or windows update issue.

FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Can't Connect / Failed to Start PostgreSQL (http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/91/Can't+Connect+%7B47%7D+Failed+to+Start+PostgreSQL+ )

First try to reboot.

If no help, try this:

Start > Programs > PostgreSQL > 8.x > Stop Service

Start > Programs > PostgreSQL > 8.x > Start Service

If that doesnt help delete the \postgresql\8.x\data\postmaster.pid file, if you see it.

Add exceptions to the windows firewall, even if it is off. If you have a 3rd party firewall, do the equivalent or uninstall it temporarily - FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Windows Firewall / Defender Problems (http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/275/Windows+Firewall+%7B47%7D+Defender+Problems)

Please try following these FAQs, step by step:

1) FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Can't Connect / Failed to Start PostgreSQL (http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/91/Can't+Connect+%7B47%7D+Failed+to+Start+PostgreSQL+ )
2) reinstall the same version of postgresql, using the same \data folder - FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Reinstall PostgreSQL Preserving Old Database (http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/71/Reinstall+PostgreSQL+Preserving+Old+Database)
3) Still Can't Connect to PosgreSQL? Try This! - Holdem Manager Forums (http://www.holdemmanager.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8261)

If that doesn't help you will probably have to reinstall PostgreSQL completely and reimport your hands using these instructions

1) Uninstall PostgreSQL from the Windows Control Panel.
2) Use our combo installer to reinstall PostgreSQL. Make sure you un-check Holdem Manager during installation. http://www.holdemmanager.com/downloads/Holdem_Manager_Setup.exe

If that installer fails to install PostgreSQL, please reinstall PostgreSQL using the following instructions:
A) Start > Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt > Right-Click > Run As Administrator

net user postgres /delete
B) Reboot.
C) Try installing this version of PostgreSQL - http://www.holdemmanager.com/downloads/Postgres_8.3.9-v1.0.7.exe

Preacher
04-03-2010, 03:34 PM
I'm having the same problem "transbetacism" is having.

Can I install this other version of postgresql without losing my database?

And I tried everything I found in the FAQs or what other users said.

morny
04-03-2010, 06:35 PM
If you cant connect to the database you wont have access to the old hands but HM usually archives all the imported hands to the C:/Hamrchive folder or whatever folder you chose so you could just import them into a new database on the new postgreSQL