PDA

View Full Version : purging hands -- Timeout ??!

jenkulle
03-25-2010, 09:31 PM
I'm purging HH in my data base from the Observed HH config and then Purge HH options at the buttom... worked for older DB, but not with this one, could it be too big or what?? twice the same error message :

There was an error during the purge : A timeout has occured. If you were establishing a connection, increase timeout value in ConnectionString. If you were executing a command, increate the CommandTimeout value in ConnectionString or in your NpgsqlCommand object.

I'm trying to get the DB as small as possible, keeping only my own hands history and delete observed HH but I want to keep stats tho...

thanks again for your help

Patvs
03-25-2010, 10:16 PM
Read the top 10 performance tips thread in my signature.
Edit the postgresql.conf file--> and reboot.

Also set exceptions to the Firewall and
For W7 and Vista you must set \holdem manager\dbcontrolpanel.exe, holdemmanager.exe and hmhud.exe are started as administrator. Run the windows explorer and navigate to your Holdemmanager installation directory. Right click the executables and select properties... then select "Run as admin" from the compatibility tab. If you have Vista and the checkboxes are greyed out and you can't select it, please turn UAC on, reboot, and then set the files to run as administrator.

Hopefully that makes the "connection timeout" error go away.
If not.. you should consider to reinstall a different version of SQL on a different port.

jenkulle
03-26-2010, 12:52 AM
I've already read the top 10 and edited the postgreql.conf long time ago...

I don't think that it's my problem since I just purge hands from an other DB earlier today and it worked fine...

this DB had lots more hands and takes a long time before the error message pops up

can it be because I changed the .conf file?

shared_buffer is at 256mb
effective_cache_size at 512mb

i have intel core 2duo E4600 @ 2.40ghz, 3.00GM of RAM
running XP
always the new beta version

mean while I will try to vaccum full during the night to see if it helps

netsrak
03-26-2010, 06:53 AM
The only thing you can do is to purge smaller portions of hands.

jenkulle
03-26-2010, 02:41 PM
I did a full vaccum and got an error too...

this is the last couple line of the vaccum txt :
2352 pages containing 866136 free bytes are potential move destinations.
CPU 0.06s/0.20u sec elapsed 1.96 sec.server closed the connection unexpectedly
This probably means the server terminated abnormally
before or while processing the request.

I already purge hands and did a vaccum with an other DB and it work fine, same system and set up... just smaller DB I guess

how do I change the "CommandTimeout value in ConnectionString or in your NpgsqlCommand object" like it asked in the first error msg I got?

i also turn off any energy saver crap that could turn off hard drive or such... screen saver... everything is off

do I really need to purge smaller portion and how do I do that? simply setting higher value in the purging options and going from there?

thanks again for your time ;)

Patvs
03-26-2010, 03:04 PM
Just set a date filter when you purge.
And only purge 6 month periods at a time.

jenkulle
03-26-2010, 07:19 PM
edit : gonna try again was doing march 1st 2000 till today... puting march 1st 2010 might help :S

I had an idea about this... you guys should add an import fonction that would only import stats and not HH so you wouldn't have to purge something you didn't want in the 1st place

jenkulle
03-27-2010, 01:47 AM
worked for smaller date ranges thanks...

...my suggestion from the previous post is still good tho

netsrak
03-27-2010, 06:04 AM
Please use our uservoice system for suggestions (see link in my signature).

I already suggested the same thing internally :D