PDA

View Full Version : Tips to increase speed in importing purchased hands and general HUD performance

Arizona Willie
03-22-2010, 05:02 PM
First, right click on Holdem Manager and get into the advanced and click on < run as administrator>. Do that for Holdem Manager.exe and HMimport.exe.

Run Holdem Manager and get it importing, doesn't have to be importing purchased hands, just click on < Start Auto Import >.

Then right click the taskbar and click on Start Task Manager, go into < processes > find holdem manager programs. Both import and HoldemManager.exe should be there.

Right click on each one and set affinity so that it is using all the cores of your processor. Also set priority to < high >. Click apply and ok and shut down Holdem Manager. Then it would be a good idea to reboot.

After doing the above there was a very visible difference in the speed of importing purchased hands and also the HUD worked much faster playing ring games. The priority on mine was set to normal and going to high really perked it up.

Even with the priority set to high I was able to run Holdem Manger, Full Tilt, Holdem Indicator, and Outlook with no problem. But it sure seemed to make Holdem's HUD perk up and while I was importing purchased hands it went much faster.

_Loki_
03-22-2010, 11:01 PM
I only have one CPU so I know nothing about 'Affinity', but regarding the option to set priority to 'high' via Task Manager...

I guess you are talking about W7 ? Does W7 remember any CPU priority changes after a reboot ? In XP any priority changes are not saved after you close the program [unless you use something like 'Prio' freeware software & even then it doesn't work for all programs]

I understand that there are cheap/free programs that can temporarily change your PC settings to gaming mode with just one click

My solution is to run next to nothing on my poker PC

Patvs
03-23-2010, 12:51 AM
Thanks Arizona Willie.. I'd add this to the http://forums.holdemmanager.com/manager-general/11194-top-10-hem-performance-increase-tips.html thread

Arizona Willie
03-23-2010, 12:31 PM
I only have one CPU so I know nothing about 'Affinity', but regarding the option to set priority to 'high' via Task Manager...

I guess you are talking about W7 ? Does W7 remember any CPU priority changes after a reboot ? In XP any priority changes are not saved after you close the program [unless you use something like 'Prio' freeware software & even then it doesn't work for all programs]

I understand that there are cheap/free programs that can temporarily change your PC settings to gaming mode with just one click

My solution is to run next to nothing on my poker PC

=================
You are correct, Loki. That setting is not persistent. I downloaded the 64 bit Prio awhile ago and am going to check it out and see if it works for HEM.

I suspect there is a registry setting for the priority of programs but haven't found it yet. But I'm going to do some searching and see if I can't find one.

However, the Prio program is free and does some more nice tricks according to it's description.

jenkulle
03-23-2010, 12:45 PM
It is still usefull and not that hard to do it every time before importing a large number of hands

thanks for the tip

edit : do you really have to reboot after setting it to high?

_Loki_
03-23-2010, 02:39 PM
don't reboot or you will lose the changes
this advice is only useful if you have multiple programs running at the same time & you want to give one program a greater share of the cpu

Arizona Willie
03-24-2010, 12:28 PM
Unless you use the Prio program the setting is not persistent so you should not reboot. That was incorrect. My bad.

The best thing to do is to grab the FREE Prio program here:

O & K PrintWatch (http://www.prnwatch.com/download.html)

install that, then when you change the priority of the program(s) it will stay the way you set it.

It is good to set the priority to high for the HUD, the Import Program, and HM Manager itself.

Start Holdem Manager, Start Auto Import and then right click on the task bar and Start Task Manager. You should find 3 hm programs together under processes. Set the priority for all 3 to high.

Even if only running Holdem manager and your poker application, there are many many subprograms running on your computer. Setting the priority to high greatly increases the performance.

This is for Windows 7 ( probably works in Vista also ) dunno 'bout XP but it likely works there too.

There is a 64 bit version of Prio and it seems to work just fine.

pilz
03-25-2010, 07:16 AM
I'm using XP and HM 1.10.04.

Just downloaded this Prio programm through the link in the previous post. However after installing and rebooting, my computer does not show the blue log-in screen anymore. Instead, it loops reboot. So I had to use Safe Mode to re-install this programm.

Conclusion: I don't think it works on XP :)

_Loki_
03-25-2010, 09:03 AM
These freewares might interest you Arizona:

#######################
GAME BOOSTER:
Game Booster | Fast Game Accelerator | Free Accelerator (http://www.iobit.com/gamebooster.html)

I haven't tried it. Works for all versions of Windows from 2000 to now. You can choose the setup to suit you. Completely safe judging by cnet & other website reviews.

Publisher's description from IObit: Designed to help optimize your PC for smoother, more responsive game play in the latest PC games with the touch of a button, Game Booster helps achieve the performance edge previously only available to highly technical enthusiasts

It works by temporarily shutting down background processes, cleaning RAM, and intensifying processor performance

That means you can keep all the features of MS Windows ready for when you need them, but turn them off when you are ready to get down to serious business - gaming"

Game Booster - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com (http://download.cnet.com/Game-Booster/3000-18541_4-10913645.html#rateit)

#############
GBOOST
GBoost Home (http://www.gzero.com/gboost/home.html)
It's new, but in beta & I wouldn't touch it myself because your system is checked remotely to allow gbooost to best decide how to optimise

_Loki_
03-25-2010, 09:16 AM
pilz. This claims to be the xp version 352.8 KB:
Prio - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com (http://download.cnet.com/Prio/3000-2094_4-10455293.html)

I haven't downloaded to check

Arizona Willie
03-25-2010, 10:54 AM
These freewares might interest you Arizona:

#######################
GAME BOOSTER:
Game Booster | Fast Game Accelerator | Free Accelerator (http://www.iobit.com/gamebooster.html)

I haven't tried it. Works for all versions of Windows from 2000 to now. You can choose the setup to suit you. Completely safe judging by cnet & other website reviews.

Publisher's description from IObit: Designed to help optimize your PC for smoother, more responsive game play in the latest PC games with the touch of a button, Game Booster helps achieve the performance edge previously only available to highly technical enthusiasts

It works by temporarily shutting down background processes, cleaning RAM, and intensifying processor performance

That means you can keep all the features of MS Windows ready for when you need them, but turn them off when you are ready to get down to serious business - gaming"

Game Booster - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com (http://download.cnet.com/Game-Booster/3000-18541_4-10913645.html#rateit)

#############
GBOOST
GBoost Home (http://www.gzero.com/gboost/home.html)
It's new, but in beta & I wouldn't touch it myself because your system is checked remotely to allow gbooost to best decide how to optimise

===============
These might be good for someone playing WOW or something similar.
But I'm almost always multi-tasking and would be leery of having my background processes shut down.

I found it annoying that it took so long to import purchased hands so I experimented with raising the priority and that made a nice difference. Also raising the priority of the hmhud.exe seems to make the HUD perform better.

My system runs fine for playing Mass Effect but then I'm not playing war games online against live players. That game booster would probably help those who are doing that though.

_Loki_
03-25-2010, 11:07 AM
@Arizona - not just WOW

Its called 'Game Booster', but people use it for other reasons too - the point is YOU can choose the setup mix that activates when you put your PC into 'game mode' using Game Booster

Therefore you can choose a setup for say HH importing & it will be remembered for when you need it

I don't know if it only remembers one setup - I suspect so

DeepBlue
05-04-2010, 11:51 PM
I was wondering - has anyone experimented with boosting the poker site's software thread priority as well, or would that be prioritizing too much (and thus taking away from the benefit)? I guess any delay one sees is from the HUD and the import, not really the poker site, right?

Arizona Willie
05-05-2010, 10:57 AM
I would think the speed of the site would be regulated by your internet connection and by the traffic on the net. I doubt if raising the priority of the poker client would help much. Wouldn't hurt to try it though.

But you will probably get the biggest bump from upping the priority of the things running on your computer such as HM rather than things bringing data in over the net.

I've discovered killing my virus program while importing or doing data base maintenance really speeds things up ( but shutting down my modem so I'm not vulnerable on the net during the process ). Using Process Monitor in Windows 7 I could see my virus program was watching every read and every write and that really slowed everything down. Normally you only read a small bit of data and write a small bit so the virus program supervising doesn't have much effect. But when importing hands or scrubbing the database it is a matter of constant reading and writing and having the virus program supervise each read and write creates tremendous overhead and drastically slows operations. And, since these files were created on your computer by your computer or are purchased hands from a trusted source there is almost zero chance of any virus infestation. Just don't forget to shut down your modem so you are disconnected from the net.

DeepBlue
05-06-2010, 04:55 AM
Right, I learned a long time ago to simply not run antivirus on my poker virtual machine. :) I don't surf the web at all so there's no chance for infestation except for any vulnerabilities in Windows (but I am behind NAT and the Windows firewall is still active).

The thing is I just see such a difference when running 10+ tables with the HUD on vs. off that I think a computer upgrade is inevitable (I've posted elsewhere about it but basically I'm running on a seven year old machine right now - I could use my fairly recent Macbook Pro but I don't like having only one external monitor, but still I guess I could try it again now that I'm ten tabling just to see if the speed increase is there, with the same virtual machine so that nothing else will change).

michty6
05-12-2010, 02:04 PM
Hi

Prolly a newbe question but, I've been trying to do this (set affinity/priority) in Vista but it keeps popping up saying 'The operation could not be completed. Access is denied'. Any ideas what to do?

I assumed it was something to do with user privileges but I am logged on as the administrator and running the program as the administrator...

Arizona Willie
05-12-2010, 02:19 PM
You can disable User Account Control --- or upgrade to Windows 7. :)
If you're logged in as administrator I don't know why you are getting that message. Hmmm, perhaps you need to click on the program and set it to run as administrator before you try to set the priority.

michty6
05-12-2010, 03:11 PM
I disabled user account control and that worked - I had already tried running the program as an administrator to no avail... Weird. Thanks!

absolid
05-12-2010, 10:06 PM
You may all know this already but I havn't seen it anywhere so far in any of the performance threads.
When I have big batches to import like 1million, I make the batches smaller say into 100k or 200k lots and import them that way. I have tried all the performance increase tips and can usually get around 40-50 h/s, but if I make smaller batches I can get this number to double.
This however is on a brand new quad core, 4gb ram, 2 500gb in raid-0, with a relatively small data base. Making the batches smaller is the biggest speed difference I have noticed.

rowhousepd
11-17-2010, 02:18 AM
Does anyone know if you should also be setting the POSTGRES processes to high as well (& keep them that way)? Wouldn't that also boost performance, perhaps just as much as setting the HEM processes to high?

JHTAN
04-13-2011, 09:00 PM
http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/5103/freerool.png (http://img651.imageshack.us/i/freerool.png/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

Hi,

May I set the priority of the 3 program shown above to "high"?

Thanks

Sarek
04-14-2011, 06:06 AM
You can try. Result depends of PC and system configuration.

rowhousepd
04-15-2011, 06:06 AM
Does anyone know if you should also be setting the POSTGRES processes to high as well (& keep them that way)? Wouldn't that also boost performance, perhaps just as much as setting the HEM processes to high?

Can someone get back to me on this? Got lost I guess. Thanks.

netsrak
04-15-2011, 08:25 AM
I have no experience with it. Just try it.