PDA

View Full Version : HEM multi-threaded?

hemfan
03-15-2010, 10:47 PM
I'm gonna get a new PC soon and am wondering if HEM will benefit from multiple cores? My understanding is if an application is multi-threaded, performance will be increased on a multi-core machine.

So, is HEM a multi-threaded application?

Is Postgres?

Thank you

MicroRoller
03-15-2010, 11:32 PM
HEM and PostgreSQL are two separate programs. Two seperate programs can use two different cores.

I don't think it really matters though. Except when doing a bulk initial import, I don't think I've ever seen HEM or PostgreSQL be CPU bound.

If you're having performance problems the bottleneck is probably in the I/O.

There are some ways to tune PostgreSQL but I've never really done it on windows. One thing you can do is make sure the data is stored on a different physical drive than the WAL. A different disk on a separate controller is even better.

I'm trying to remember but I think on Windows the only option is to have the WAL write to the drive where PostgreSQL is installed. The data directory however is easily configurable.

If you could get a really fast disk like a WD velociraptor, or better yet, an SSD to hold the data files for PostgreSQL I'm pretty sure you'd see greater performance gains than you would by getting a top of the line processor.

hemfan
03-16-2010, 12:04 AM
Thanks for your comments and suggestions for increasing performance, but my question is still unanswered. (I realize HEM and Postgres are separate apps. Just figured the HEM folks might know about whether Postgres is multi-threaded too.)

I just want to know if HEM is a multi-threaded application or not?

HEM support, could you please chime in. Thx.

_Loki_
03-16-2010, 12:50 AM
I put my postgreSQL questions here & get quick replies:
PostgreSQL Mailing Lists: pgsql-performance (http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-performance/)

A google produced this:
Performance tuning on RedHat Enterprise Linux 3 - PostgreSQL / PGSQL (http://www.justskins.com/forums/performance-tuning-on-redhat-enterprise-linux-3-a-101640.html)
It seems to say that the answer to your question re pgSQL is "no" but check it out yourself - I'm a Luddite

My instinctive answer is I/O rules the roost (as per microroller), but what do I know ?

Patvs
03-16-2010, 11:32 AM
Read the top 10 performance tips thread in my signature

3 PostgreSQL love multible CPUs, so the more CPUs the better. (Intel i5 / i7 or AMD Phenom) Also "Holdem Manager will be adding improvements in 1.10 that will take advantage of quad core/64 bit versions."

As far as I know.... both programs don't support hyper-threading though...... (name one program/game that does!.. there are not a lot)