PDA

View Full Version : Question about All-In EV

Folkdsb
10-01-2008, 05:06 PM
I find the All-In EV a really interesting stat, but I'm having a hard time understanding how it's calculated...

Is it calculated for every hand as if players were all-in preflop, and in terms of Sklansky Bucks?

Can I safely look at the values as my expected wins/losses should be at any given time?

morny
10-01-2008, 05:38 PM
Sorry theres a problem with the way its calculating at the moment and were working on fixing it. When it is calculated correctly it only counts situations where your all in

MSUPokerGod
10-01-2008, 06:36 PM
is the fact that it is only counting all in situations the problem? or is there another problem that makes the line itself inaccurate. for example is it possible that my friend here isn't actually running that bad?
http://www.andrewrobl.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/postallinskills-lacking.jpg

morny
10-01-2008, 06:47 PM
No All in EV is exactly that, it measures situations where your all in and lets say your expected to win 4 in 5 times since you got in ahead and you only actually win 2 in 5 times then your all in $EV will reflect this and dive. Dont however confuse comparing it to your actual winnings, if your all in EV shows you down $60k that just means that when you got all in if you had average luck (i.e win the expected amount) youll have $0 all in EV. If your running like God you might be up $50k in All in EV so it only considers the situations where you were all in so lets look at that graph and pretend its calculated correctly.

Its hard to see which line is which but it looks like he lost 64k and hes all in EV is $160k. In such case hes won $160k more than he would have with average luck so if he had average luck hed be down -$220k and so hes actually running very hot in all in situations but still showing a negative profit overall

Lastly dont look too much into it until we have it fixed and calculating correctly

thakilla
10-02-2008, 05:56 AM
please tell me it really isn't working correctly and when it gets fixed it will seem like a bad dream that I found out I was running about 25 buy-ins above expectation over 350K hands. Any chance this will happen when it is fixed?

bingo
10-02-2008, 10:26 AM
Are you sure that's how ev is interpreted? I thought that the all in ev line showd how much you would have won/lost if you had average luck. That would mean that he had lost 64k, but should have won 160k with average luck.

morny
10-02-2008, 01:26 PM
please tell me it really isn't working correctly and when it gets fixed it will seem like a bad dream that I found out I was running about 25 buy-ins above expectation over 350K hands. Any chance this will happen when it is fixed?

Yes as i said its not calculating correctly so no point worrying about it until its fixed

morny
10-02-2008, 01:32 PM
Are you sure that's how ev is interpreted? I thought that the all in ev line showd how much you would have won/lost if you had average luck. That would mean that he had lost 64k, but should have won 160k with average luck.

You are correct in how its interpretted but you need to forget about actual winnings as this includes non showdown pots aswell as all in. The all in EV winnings graph will be $0 when weve average luck Positive when your running well and negative when your running bad. hes is very positive so hes running very well when he gets all in and winning alot more hands than someone with average luck. So had he had average luck he would have lost $160k more. However since its not being calculated correctly this graph probably wont make sense and it looks pretty excessive compared to my graph.

bingo
10-02-2008, 03:05 PM
My ev line goes up when I get it in as a big favorite and get sucked out on. According to you it should go down since I'm "running bad" in that particular hand. Also, the all in ev line is the same as $(ev adjusted) in the reports tab right? And this stat is supposed to show how much you should have won with normal luck? This stat also goes up when I get it in as a favorite.
I think that the ev line will be the same as winnings line when you are running normal, not at 0.

The reason I'm questioning this is because I've been running worse than ever lately and my ev graph is going up and my winnings are going down. There is just no way that I have been running good.

morny
10-02-2008, 03:45 PM
As ive mentioned already several times the EV all in stat is not calculating correctly. Ev difference is essentially the same result wise if EV was being calculated correctly except if you get lucky and win $200 more than you should have with averahe luck then EV difference will show -$200 because you won 200 more than you should where EV will move up by $200 showing your running above expectation.

drawflush
02-20-2009, 11:29 AM
Has all-in EV been corrected? I'm hoping so

morny
02-20-2009, 11:54 AM
The multiway pots? Yes youll need to reimport the hands again for previous results to be fixed (or wait a while and well add an option to recalculate) and all new hands will be calculated correctly

nofolmholdm
02-28-2009, 11:54 AM
EDIT: nvm. old post removed. I see that the FAQ, has this illustrated correctly: http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmmain.aspx?faqid=68

paff
03-15-2009, 03:50 PM
hi,
is EV calculation problem for not-all-in pots fixed already?

morny
03-16-2009, 07:42 PM
All in EV only includes All in pots, its on the todo list to add EV across all streets but it isnt implemented yet