PDA

View Full Version : complete process of moving to a new computer

sqlguy
03-11-2010, 05:01 PM
Hello

I just bought a new computer, and will be moving all my poker stuff to that one.

I have seen bits and pieces about the process, but not seen a complete description, so I wanted to submit my plan:

1) register HEM on old computer to be able to reset later.

2) download and install HEM trial version on new computer.

3) transfer database.
if I understand correctly I can either:
a) make a database level backup on old computer, and restore it on new computer.
or:
b) export hands and tourney summaries, and import them on new computer

is this correct?
it seems to me that a database backup/restore is the simplest.
is there any advantage og doing it the export/import way?

what about the archives? do I need to transfer them too? I understand I will need them when I purchase Omaha Manager.

4) when I am sure all is ok, I will only use new computer for poker playing

5) I was planning on using the rest of the trial period on the new computer for trying out some of the HEM applications that I did not think of trying in my original trial. Is this acceptable?

6) when the new trial period ends, I will use the registration server to reset my registration to move it to the new copy.

7) uninstall the new defunct HEM on old machine.

does this sound like a valid plan?
anything you recommend I add to this process?

_Loki_
03-11-2010, 06:25 PM
Sounds like you are still in trial period & haven't bought HEM yet ? If you have already bought HEM the licence allows you to run it on two machines. Why not keep HEM on the old machine as well as installing on new machine ?

sqlguy
03-11-2010, 07:14 PM
Sounds like you are still in trial period & haven't bought HEM yet ? If you have already bought HEM the licence allows you to run it on two machines. Why not keep HEM on the old machine as well as installing on new machine ?

no, you misunderstand. I am sorry if I was unclear.

I have a valid pro licence.

I intent to stop using the old machine, and I don't want to waste my second code.

the bit about the trial is: when I was running my original trial originally, i did not think of trying the HM apps such as Leak Buster, so now I contemplating the possibility of taking advantage of the trial again on the new machine, if that is allowed.

morny
03-11-2010, 07:26 PM
Hi,

FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Reinstalling on a new PC - Backup Tips (http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/372/Reinstalling+on+a+new+PC+-+Backup+Tips)

This doesnt include backing up of HM apps if you have any but if you stop by the forums for that particular app they should be able to help

And yes you can run the trial on the new PC if you wish, i recommend registering a couple of days in advance in case youve any reg issues

sqlguy
03-12-2010, 12:12 PM
Hi,

FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Reinstalling on a new PC - Backup Tips (http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/372/Reinstalling+on+a+new+PC+-+Backup+Tips)

This doesnt include backing up of HM apps if you have any but if you stop by the forums for that particular app they should be able to help

And yes you can run the trial on the new PC if you wish, i recommend registering a couple of days in advance in case youve any reg issues

I will do that.

What about the contents of C:\HMArchive ?
should I just copy that over?

I have now installed HEM on new machine with the database restored, and all looks good so far

what i did was:

backup on old machine
configured windows 7 on new machine (UAC and Secondary login service)
install hem on new machine
copied over HEM's Config directory
adjusted auto-import directory. (pokerstars put the HH different place in windows 7)
restored backup on new machine

voila!

morny
03-12-2010, 04:04 PM
Yeah you can copy C:/hmarchive if you like just in case something happens and you cant get access to the database again. Other than that looks like you done it correct

Dasher
03-12-2010, 04:04 PM
I was just doing the same thing, but I exported all the hands and imported them on my new computer. Doing this lost all my tournament results except for single table SNGs. Is there a quick way to export and inport just the tournament results?

morny
03-12-2010, 04:25 PM
Yeah its in that FAQ, you need to export your summaries and import them into the new PC