PDA

View Full Version : Graphing functionality of HM2 kinda sucks

domino66
07-23-2012, 01:41 PM
This is the one area where HM2 falls far short of HM1...the Graphs are butt-ugly, and really annoying to use.

HM1's graph was easy to use, attractive, and intuitive.

HM2's...where do I begin:
- Really ugly...graphs are by nature an aesthetic thing...this graph looks like it should be buried on p47 of in an academic paper or something.
- The functionality controls are in all 4 corners!. Major UI annoyance; the primary info is in TINY font in the upper-left, the zoom functions are similarly tiny in the upper-right, the player selection is in the lower-right, and the major variables are in the lower-left.
- There's no right-click / "set to default scale" (or something) that was v useful in HM1
- MAJOR GRIPE: it's REALLY hard to select only the most recent hands by dragging to narrow the range, because as soon as the cursor reaches the right-side of the graph, it de-selects everything...so you have to move REEAAALLLY slowly and be super precise or else you'll miss the most recent hands played or it will deselect what you've chosen...
- it's also REALLY annoying to hover over any part of the graph to see the values at that point...because unless you hover over JUST the right spot, no values pop up. Graph should be more forgiving when it comes to hover effect.

Should these take precedence over fixing DB integrity/freezing issues? obv not -- but in a design-focused era, a graph is something that should be pretty and be intuitive to use imo.

hth

fozzy71
07-24-2012, 01:48 PM
This is the one area where HM2 falls far short of HM1...the Graphs are butt-ugly, and really annoying to use.

HM1's graph was easy to use, attractive, and intuitive.

HM2's...where do I begin:
- Really ugly...graphs are by nature an aesthetic thing...this graph looks like it should be buried on p47 of in an academic paper or something.

If you can give us some actionable suggestions how to make it more appealing we would be glad to consider them but simply saying it is 'ugly' doesn't give us much to work with in terms of improving it.

- The functionality controls are in all 4 corners!. Major UI annoyance; the primary info is in TINY font in the upper-left, the zoom functions are similarly tiny in the upper-right, the player selection is in the lower-right, and the major variables are in the lower-left.

We put everything at the corners so the graph could be as large as possible.

To summarize:
- You think the font in the upper left should be bigger? If we increase the font it would increase the banner containing the Player/Winnings summary which would reduce the size of the graph.
- You think the font in the upper right for the Graph and Graphed Hands buttons should also be bigger? This could probably be done to a certain degree but if we increase the font too much we need to increase the size of the buttons/border and this will also reduce the size of the graph.
- You don't like the controls in the lower left corner? Any suggestions how we could improve the functionality of it? I don't think it can be moved at this point as I don't see anywhere better for it to go but if you have some specific suggestions how we can improve the functionality of the Options in the lower left corner we would consider them.

- There's no right-click / "set to default scale" (or something) that was v useful in HM1

If you zoom in on the graph 2 new options appear in the upper right corner: Zoom Out and Show All

- MAJOR GRIPE: it's REALLY hard to select only the most recent hands by dragging to narrow the range, because as soon as the cursor reaches the right-side of the graph, it de-selects everything...so you have to move REEAAALLLY slowly and be super precise or else you'll miss the most recent hands played or it will deselect what you've chosen...

I agree with you, and we wrote this up for the developers in the past, but apparently this is difficult/impossible to solve with the graph control software we are using for HM2. We recently made some changes to the graph control software to improve the performance (refreshes more hands faster) and functionality (better zoom control) so I will write this up as a separate bug/improvement to see if we can revisit this issue with the developers.

The assigned internal ticket # on this issue is HM-5396: Improve graph zoom functionality at the right edge of the graph

I have added your email address to the ticket so we can notify you once we have fixed it.

- it's also REALLY annoying to hover over any part of the graph to see the values at that point...because unless you hover over JUST the right spot, no values pop up. Graph should be more forgiving when it comes to hover effect.

I agree that this could be a bit more forgiving and it has been suggested in the past.

This issue has been documented in detail and provided to the developers to resolve. While I don't have a specific date for when this issue will be resolved, we are putting out updates regularly.

The assigned internal ticket # on this issue is HM-5055: Extend area in graphs to hover mouse

I have added your email address to the ticket so we can notify you once we have fixed it.