PDA

View Full Version : Postgres Windows 7 64 bits.

miragino
03-10-2010, 11:57 AM
Hi Im trying to install HM on a computer with Windows 7 64 bits and no security systems installed, and UAC disabled. Tried with the combo installer and postgres alone. But Im not able to initialize it.

When installing postgres alone a message jumps saying: "problem running post-install step. Installation may not complete correctly. The initalization of the cluster of the database failed".

Tried it with versions 8.4 and 8.3.

fozzy71
03-10-2010, 12:36 PM
Add exceptions to the windows firewall, even if it is off. If you have a 3rd party firewall, do the equivalent or uninstall it temporarily - FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Windows Firewall / Defender Problems (http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/275/WindowsFirewall%7B47%7DDefenderProblems)

1) Uninstall PostgreSQL from the Windows Control Panel.
2) run the command - start > programs > accessories > command prompt > right-click > run as administrator

net user postgres /delete
4) reboot.
5) Install PostgreSQL 8.3.9 from this link - http://www.holdemmanager.com/downloads/Postgres_8.3.9-v1.0.7.exe

If that one fails, try this package:

1) Uninstall PostgreSQL from the Windows Control Panel.
2) run the command - start > programs > accessories > command prompt > right-click > run as administrator

net user postgres /delete
4) reboot.
5) Download and UnZip this file to a new folder. http://www.holdemmanager.com/downloads/postgresql.zip
6) Then run the postgresql-8.3.msi file and follow these instructions - FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Reinstall PostgreSQL (http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/70/Reinstall+PostgreSQL)

boz
03-11-2010, 06:01 PM
Having big problems here. Just installed win7 on my computer and i can not get postgreSQL to work.
Tried everything you said in the post. Halfway in the installation I get the message: "Failed to set permissions on the installed files. Please see the logfile in C: program files (x86)\PostgreSQL\8.3\tmp\pgperm.log"

boz
03-11-2010, 06:18 PM
I think i managed to install the newest version of postgresql 8.4
But there is no servers when i enter pgAdmin....
What do i do now?

morny
03-11-2010, 06:57 PM
Looks like it failed if youve no servers so follow fozzys instructions from "If that one fails, try this package:" and let us know if you get any new errors

boz
03-12-2010, 04:20 AM
When i try to uninstall postgresql i get the message "The data directory and the service user account (postgres) have not been removed"

boz
03-12-2010, 04:57 AM
I finally got postgresql 8.3 installed using the method fozzy described. But now i have a new problem. I am not able to restore my database backup. I am getting error: pg_restore: [archiver] unsupported version (1.11) in file header.
Is this because i took the backup using postgresql 8.4? And what can i do?

fozzy71
03-12-2010, 11:36 AM
You have to use the same version to be able to restore a .backup file. You will need to import your archived/original hands from your \HMArchive folder. If you play a site like stars/ftp you can email their support and ask for all your old hand histories and tourney summaries.

sqlguy
03-12-2010, 12:22 PM
You have to use the same version to be able to restore a .backup file. You will need to import your archived/original hands from your \HMArchive folder. If you play a site like stars/ftp you can email their support and ask for all your old hand histories and tourney summaries.

wait, what?

As i mentioned in another thread, I have just moved my hem installation from XP with postgres 8.3 to a windows 7.

I made a backup using pgAdmin on pg 8.3, and pgAdmin on Windows 7 happily restored it into pg 8.4

I did not have to bother with any importing.

Edit: ah. I now notice that boz made a backup on 8.4 and tried to restore on a 8.3.
that will fail.

boz
03-13-2010, 05:58 AM
Ok, will mail stars for HH. But why cant i get postgresql 8.4 to work? And is there any big difference between 8.3 and 8.4?

netsrak
03-13-2010, 07:47 AM
There are no big differences between 8.3 and 8.4, so i suggest you use 8.3.

With which version did you create the backup?
8.4 should be capable of reading 8.3 backups but 8.3 doesn't work with 8.4 backups