PDA

View Full Version : Postgres won't install, tried lots of things, sitickies didn't help

DaKillerBee
07-22-2012, 03:09 PM
Hi,
I'm trying to install HEM1 on my new computer that runs with windows 7. Like a lot of people at the end of the installation I get the "sorry, could not install postgresql" message.

Here are the things I've tried so far which weren't successful:

- Desactivating the firewall and antivirus
- Activitating the Secondary Logon in Windows
- getting HEM and other .exe files to run as administrator
- Installing older versions of postgresql (namely, 8.2 and 8.3)
- Creating a new account on my computer with administrator privileges and trying to install under this account: nope, didn't work

There might be other things I've tried that I don't remember. I feel really lost and frustrated.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, please please I'm one step short of going crazy.
Thank you

Patvs
07-22-2012, 11:28 PM
Which error do you get when you install SQL 8.2?

Which Operating System, Firewall, and Anti-Virus are you using?

Run a manual Windows Update and install all updates, including all .net framework updates.

Turn off User Account Control: How to Disable and Turn Off UAC in Windows 7 « My Digital Life (http://www.mydigitallife.info/2008/12/30/how-to-disable-and-turn-off-uac-in-windows-7/) and reboot.

--

click on Start and go to Programs -> Accessories -> Command Prompt

* If you are on Vista, rightclick and choose "Run as Administrator".

A black box should appear. Type 'net user postgres /delete' (without the quotes) and press enter.

The user is now deleted and you can (re)install PostgreSQL.

Read: http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/91/Can%27tConnect%7B47%7DFailedToStartPostgreSQL

Patvs
07-22-2012, 11:29 PM
Also make sure your Windows account/user name is just one word and doesn't contain 'special characters/symbols'

DaKillerBee
07-23-2012, 05:03 AM
Thanks for you quick answer.

I forgot to mention in my OP thay I had already turned off UAC and had used the net user postgres /delete command whenever I tried to re-install Postgres. I just spent two hours trying new things but that didn't work either.

I did change my user account name as it had a special character in it but it didn't change anything. Just fyi, it still mentions the old account name when I use a command prompt. I don't know if this is normal...

I use Avast as my anti-virus and I just have regular windows 7 firewall on my computer.
When I install postgresql 8.3 it says "Problem running post install step. The database cluster initialisation failed"

When I install the combo .exe file (HEM + Postgres) it says unable to connect to 127.0.0.1

I followed the FAQ step trying to add exception to windows defender and firewall but it didn't change anything.

I feel lost, I don't know if I'm doing things better or worse now since I've done so many things already. I'd really appreciate one-on-one help if it was possible because I really don't think I'll manage to figure this out on my own.

Thanks in advance,
J.B

Patvs
07-23-2012, 05:16 AM
PM sent