PDA

View Full Version : New Machine / Run DB on its own HDD

runhot
03-08-2010, 04:57 PM
I'm about to build a new machine.

I picked up this drive to exclusively run my DB on:
Newegg.com - Western Digital VelociRaptor WD3000HLFS 300GB 10000 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136322)

When I install HEM on the new machine, how do I set up HEM to run the database from this brand new empty (formatted) drive?

Also, am I better off exporting all my hands through database management (on the old machine), and then importing all those HHs in the new machine?

Or should I use the backup / restore method thats outlined in the faq?

Thanks.

netsrak
03-09-2010, 05:52 AM
To move your Postgresql database to the new hard disk you need to uninstall and reinstall it.
The standard way for the database is a backup/restore but you should export all hands, notes and tourney summaries as a 2nd level backup.

runhot
03-13-2010, 05:08 PM
To move your Postgresql database to the new hard disk you need to uninstall and reinstall it.

what exactly do you mean by this?

i have just built a new machine, and just installed a fresh new HEM.

but i want the DB to be running on a non-os hdd in my new machine.

fozzy71
03-14-2010, 12:38 AM
You don't have to uninstall/reinstall it to another drive but that is usually the easiest, least technical method.

FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Move Database to Another Hard Drive or Partition (http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/368/Move+Database+to+Another+Hard+Drive+or+Partition)

runhot
03-14-2010, 03:07 PM
im only now installing hem on the new machine for the first time, so there is nothing there.

when i try to use the combo installer on my new machine, i can choose the location for the installation of HEM, but posgresql seems to force its installation into my c drive.

runhot
03-14-2010, 03:36 PM
to be clear,

i have a brand new clean machine with nothing on it.

i have a non-OS hdd on which i want to install pstsql and hem

the combo installer seems to force postgressql onto my c drive.

should i attempt to install sql 8.4 onto my D: drive wihtout the combo installer? then do a HEM only install on to my D: drive?

thanks.

morny
03-14-2010, 06:37 PM
Yeah thats strange, try installing 8.4.2 seperately from the PostgreSQL download site and then install HM seperately