PDA

View Full Version : Error Message Question

Seth
09-30-2008, 02:11 PM
Hi,

I have been using HEM for about a month with no problems.

Vista recently had to install updates on my laptop and now when I try and load HEM it gives me an error message stating:

The connection has been forcibly closed by the remote host.

I did a little bit of troubleshooting and made sure the programs and ports for HEM and PostgreSQL were allowed through the firewalls. My user account control is off.

I am still getting the same error message.

Any other suggestions for what I can try?

Thanks for the help,
Seth

morny
09-30-2008, 02:55 PM
Although you mentioned you ahve UAC off, updates often turn it back on again by default so double check that

Youll need to reboot after disabling it. What exactly are you doing when the error appears and is that the full error message?

Seth
09-30-2008, 03:11 PM
The error occurs when I try and run HEM.

The HEM Initializing database window appears during the program start up and then the error message pops up after that.

I also get the same error message when I try and connect to the PostgreSQL manually.

I also have not tried uninstalling my antivirus. I have McAfee. Im not sure if that makes a difference.

I am at work right now but ill give you a more detailed description of the error when I get home.

Thanks for the quick response.

Seth

morny
09-30-2008, 03:30 PM
I think this is the transport connection error, thats why i was asking for the full error. Try this first:
http://208.109.95.123/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=34

And if that dosent work the quickest solution is to uninstall your antivirus/firewall completely as disabling sometimes dosent work and then uninstall and reinstall PostgreSQL and then you can get HM running and then reinstall your antivirus/firewall as its always one of them causing this problem.

You could also try adding HM to exceptions list but the above is usually the quickest resolve

Seth
09-30-2008, 03:33 PM
Thanks alot.

I'll give it a shot.

Seth

Seth
10-01-2008, 11:20 AM
I checked on the PostgreSQL under administrative tools and it was already running.

I will uninstall McAfee and my firewalls and try running HEM that way.

My only question is if i uninstall and reinstall PostgreSQL will I have database issues as far as the hands I have already imported.

I cannot back up my database because I cant access it due to the previous error I had mentioned about the remote host forcibly closing the connection.

I should still have all the data saved in my hand histories folder.

Thanks,
Seth

morny
10-01-2008, 02:25 PM
PostgreSQL dosent uninstall the Data folder which contains your database so use the same postgreSQL version and when you get to the page where it says to enter your username and password for a 2nd time please untick the "Intialise Database Cluster" and it will use the old database

MrBananaSlug
11-27-2008, 07:58 PM
I am having a very similair issue installing PostgReSQL on my second PC. I have tried going to the control panel and stopping/starting the PostgreSQL and this is the message I get: The SQL database server 8.3 on local comp started and then stopped, some services stop automatiically if they are not in use by other services or programs . When I try to just run the HEM shortcut, this is the error message I receive:
Holdem Manager has determined that you are running Microsoft Vista. In order to have Holdem Manager run well you should do the following:
1) Disable User Access Control in your Control Panel - Users section. This is needed in order to properly install PostgreSQL.
2)Right click holdemmanger.exe in your Holdem Manager folder, select Properties and go to the second tab and make sure it runs as adminsitrator, if this is greyed out this it is already running as administrator
3) Repeat step#2 for hmhud.exe and dbcontrolpanel.exe.

All of these steps have been done over and over, yet I'm still receiving the same message. Also, I am including a screenshot to show you the message I get saying 'forcibly closed' here: http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=d9fqq3c_0hdqtkxc2

Please help me ASAP. I had no problems installing on my laptop, but my desktop is causing me serious issues and they both have vista installed so there shouldn't be much discrepancy.

morny
11-28-2008, 03:08 AM
Please recreate the "started then stopped" error message then go to C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.3\data\pg_log and right click inside the folder and choose view > details then look for the file that correpsonds to the time you got that error (i.e the newest file) then attach that file