PDA

View Full Version : what filters to use for m?

MASTERHOLMES
03-02-2010, 12:59 AM
m is the amount of the pot when antes, blinds are taken in account.
it is also Ante Poker Term - Antes and Blinds - Poker Antes Definition (http://www.poker-babes.com/poker/definitions/ante/)
"are, among other things, an exercise in maximizing profit while moderating risk. If you are reckless and assume too much risk in tournament play, you will not have much success in the long run. However, if you are too conservative, and don’t take enough risks, you will not maximize profit, and may have a very hard time acquiring chips. This means that players will try to find the right level of risk in the middle ground, by sometimes taking risk when it is appropriate and sometimes backing off.

One major factor affecting the correct level of risk you should assume is the amount of time you have to find a highly advantageous spot. This is dictated by the cost per round (in blinds and/or antes) and its ratio to the size of your stack. For example, a player whose stack size is 25 times the cost per round will have substantially more time to make a hand than a player with only 5 times the cost per round. Obviously, the player with only 5 times the cost per round has much less time to find a good spot, and therefore must assume more risk to be effective. So the cost per round, and its proportional relationship to your stack size, has a profound effect on your incentive to take risk. This brings us to the main reason antes are often added in addition to blinds in the later stages of non-stud tournaments.

In the early stages of these tournaments, there are only blinds. Players can calculate their cost per round by simply adding up their blind commitments. These commitments start out relatively small compared to the amount of starting chips. Since the cost per round is small compared to stack size at this point, there is little incentive to take unnecessary risk. The incentive here is to play tight and wait for a dominant situation where you can increase stack size without a lot of risk. This dynamic holds as long as the cost per round does not threaten your stack. It can also make for not much action from the field in the later rounds of the tournament. Additionally, as the money positions approach, play gets even tighter Antes are used as a way to loosen things up.

Consider the impact of introducing antes in addition to blinds in the later rounds of a non-stud tournament. Prior to the addition of antes, cost per round was calculated by adding up your blind commitments, which would typically be paid in two installments (small blind and big blind). When the antes are added, the costs per round increase significantly. All players must now pay the two installments, plus an additional ante on every hand. This means that not only is your stack eroded more quickly and more frequently, but there is also more money in every pot before the flop. This increases the incentive to take risk in two major ways. First, your stack is being eroded faster, leaving you less time to find a dominant spot. This makes building your stack a more pressing task. Second, including antes now makes every pot larger, and a bigger reward justifies taking on more risk. It becomes correct to “go for” more pots.

So antes can be used in the later stages of non-stud tournaments to “correct” a natural bottleneck in the action. They incentivize more aggressive play over tight play. Players are aware of this and consciously change their style of play once the antes have been added. This is called “switching gears.”
-------------

so my question is,, i want to filter in my hand history for mtt all the times when I got to the harington magic number of ten m. (so i can look at my aggression, passive play)
but i can't figure out how,

can you please give me step by step ?

Patvs
03-02-2010, 05:03 AM
No, this is not currently an available feature.

You can suggest it, or vote for it, here - Customer Feedback & Ideas for HoldemManager (http://holdemmanager.uservoice.com/pages/5307-holdem-manger-suggestions)

MASTERHOLMES
03-02-2010, 05:29 AM
I also said "is also known as cost per round " to account for those who use kill everyone/kill phil system.

of course it would take some harington study to know what the yellow zone is for 20 m saying you have to be more aggressive, red orange zone is for ten m, red zone for 5 m, and dead zone for 1,2,m.
since the cost per round is the same as m, all someone has to do is look at 4 m to use the kill phil system, and 10 cpr.
as lesser then 4 m is small, 5 to 9 cpr is medium and over 10 cpr is big stack stack.

I haven't read poker tournament formula 2 to read about the system there, poker tournament formula 1 talks about blinds,, however we can already filter for that.

so m/cpr knocks out two birds with one stone.