PDA

View Full Version : Cannot Instal PostGreSQL

cbrehm09
02-28-2010, 01:33 AM
ok, I am trying to maximize my performance, i see that i have postgre 8.3, I uninstall 8.3 and install 8.4 from the combo installer but i click off HEM to single instal postgre) but it gets to the point where it is about to finish and says cannot instal postgre sql i click show details it says "connection to database failed--> could not connect to server and some other things. Please help me. Would uninstalling HEM and just installing the combo thing work? Would i lose my Databases? I dont even know how to locate my databases im so lost, I dont care if I lose my bases i just want HEM to work. Please help me.

Patvs
02-28-2010, 04:47 AM
SQL 8.3 and SQL 8.4 are incompatible with each other.
So you'd have to create a NEW 8.4 database if you want to upgrade SQL.

Since your old SQL 8.3 and the new SQL 8.4 are now battling to both use port 5432, the easiest solution would be:

download SQL 8.4.2 from postgresql.org and install it on port 5433.
During installation use password = postgrespass.
If you get any "password is invalid errors"-->

click on Start and go to Programs -> Accessories -> Command Prompt

* If you are on Vista, rightclick and choose "Run as Administrator".

A black box should appear. Type 'net user postgres /del' (without the quotes) and press enter.

The user is now deleted and you can (re)install PostgreSQL.

Afterwards: open dbcontrolpanel.exe..--> change the port to 5433 (also add port 5433 as an exception to your firewall) and create a new database.

cbrehm09
02-28-2010, 03:40 PM
could not connect to server: Connection refused (0x0000274D/10061) Is the server running on host "127.0.0.1" and accepting TCP/IP connections on port 5433?
I get this. I removed postgres sql 8.3 from my computer completely by uninstall a program. Should i just reinstall everything?. I get this error message. It says i am logging onto localhost on port 5433 but it says "doesn't listen???"

cbrehm09
02-28-2010, 03:50 PM
lol i basically fucked myself. I uninstalled all of postgresql and i think i deleted my whole database. If it is hidden somewhere can you show me where it is. All i did was delete the whole postgresql folder.

RaZZcal
02-28-2010, 04:04 PM
Looks like we're having the same problem. Going crazy here, tried everything. It just looks like the old 8.3 silently hangs around in my system and won't give up his position!

I tried :

- Installing with completely removed Norton, Switched off Windows firewall and UAC disabled.

- Removing the old PostgreSQL directories and cleaning the registry (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PostgreSQL\Installati ons\postgresql-8.3) and (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PostgreSQL\Services\p ostgresql-8.3)

- using the " net user postgres /delete " command

And everytime I use the combo installer I get the same message at the end : "sorry, could not install PostgreSQL".

I also tried to install PostgreSQL 8.4.2 seperately from HM. Didn't work either. Strange thing is that when I start the Pgadmin suddenly the "old" 8.3 is back! (there are 2 servers).

netsrak
03-01-2010, 07:11 AM
@cbrehm: look for your postgresql data folder. If you find it (possibly under c:\program files(X86)\postgresql\8.3\data then it is possible to restore your old database: FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Reinstall PostgreSQL Preserving Old Database (http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/71/Reinstall+PostgreSQL+Preserving+Old+Database)

@Razzcal: you should try to install a 8.3 version from PostgreSQL: The world's most advanced open source database (http://www.postgresql.org). On some computers 8.4 doesn't work.