PDA

View Full Version : HM Freezes constantly

RaZZcal
02-24-2010, 07:37 PM
This month I played around 160.000 hands. When I set the report tab to "this month" and tick the "all" box for the hands HM freezes every time.

I get a messagebox from the Microsoft .NET framework with the errormessage : System OutOfMemoryException . After this I can't acces the Manager anymore and after a while Windows closes it.

I'm not exactly using crappy hardware, so this can't be the problem in my opinion:

Intel I7-920
3 GB DDR3
Intel SSD 80 GB (with around 50GB of free space)
Windows 7

When I tick the "last 100" box it also takes a long while before the hands come up, but HM doesn't freeze. But I want to be able to browse through all the hands that I played this month. This must be possible right?

Patvs
02-24-2010, 10:36 PM
Windows 7 x86 or x64?
If x64 try updating to .Net Framework 4 beta 2

Do the things from the "top 10 performance tips" thread in my signature.
Especially editing the postgresql.conf file.. and checking your SSD settings.

RaZZcal
02-25-2010, 08:12 AM
x86

Did all the performance tips including tweaking the SSD, but no change. Even when I tick the "last 500" box it takes HM about 1 minute to come up with the hands.. is this normal? Bought a SSD (Intel X-25) because I hoped it would speed up HM, but no way..

Besides this.. Wouldn't it be an idea to add a "all hands with hero > 5BB" box to the hands view column. This would save a lot of memory because HM doesn't need to load a lot of uninteresting hands in which you didn't take part. I know this can also be done now by applying a filter, but the downside of this is that the results section also changes to the stats of only these hands.

Patvs
02-25-2010, 09:57 AM
-1 Can you benchmark the SSD with CrystalDiskMark.
Your BIOS is running in AHCI mode?

-2 Can you create a NEW database. Are you already using SQL 8.4.2?
Install 8.4.2 on port 5433 from postgresql.org.

-3 I always just PURGE all hands <10 BB (with the OPTIONS---> Obseserved Hand History Configuration) It's not like you're going to replay uninteresting <5 BB hands. How large is your database?

RaZZcal
02-25-2010, 10:24 AM
-1 Can you benchmark the SSD with CrystalDiskMark.
Your BIOS is running in AHCI mode?

--------------------------------------------------
CrystalDiskMark 2.2 (C) 2007-2008 hiyohiyo
Crystal Dew World : Crystal Dew World (http://crystalmark.info/)

Sequential Read : 248.008 MB/s
Sequential Write : 87.771 MB/s
Random Read 512KB : 161.373 MB/s
Random Write 512KB : 87.754 MB/s
Random Read 4KB : 22.005 MB/s
Random Write 4KB : 56.239 MB/s

Test Size : 100 MB

My bios is NOT running in AHCI. But I read that you can't just switch it on in the bios because this might result in Windows not booting anymore? Would I benefit from switching to AHCI?

-2 Can you create a NEW database. Are you already using SQL 8.4.2?
Install 8.4.2 on port 5433 from postgresql.org.

I'm using 8.3. Just uninstall it and install 8.4.2? And then probably creating a new database and importing the hands from the processed folder?

-3 I always just PURGE all hands <10 BB (with the OPTIONS---> Obseserved Hand History Configuration) It's not like you're going to replay uninteresting <5 BB hands. How large is your database?

If I do this, my results wouldn't be accurate anymore. So, I don't prefer doing this. My total database contains 350.000 hands.

btw : thanks for your quick help so far. Highly appreciated!

Patvs
02-25-2010, 10:39 AM
The benchmark results are fine....
So assuming you have enabled writing caching, etc. on the SSD, your SSD is not the problem. I'm not sure how switching to AHCI can affect your performance... I just always see it as the recommend setting on tweak websites.)

Keep SQL 8.3 on port 5432. Just install SQL 8.4.2 along side next to it on port 5433. Then in dbcontrolpanel.exe connect to port 5433, create a new database and reimport ALL your hands.

---

Using the Obversed Hand History Configuration doesn't affect your results/graphs/HUD stats, etc. You only lose the ability to replay the hand in the replayer.

Did you already VACUUM/ANALYSE, reindex, etc. the entire database?
Yuo can try upgrading to .Net Framework 4 beta 2 x86 (32 bit version)

RaZZcal
02-25-2010, 11:44 AM
Tried to Install PostgreSQL 8.4. At the end of the installation I get a warning :

Error reading file : C:/ProgramFiles/PostgreSQL/8.4/data/postgresql.conf

Maybe this has got something to do with the fact that I've disabled the logging in 8.3 (to prevent postgreSQL creating the large logfiles)?

Anyway, HM and pgAdmin refuse to connect to the new 8.4 (the new version is visible in pgAdmin though, with a red cross). Tried if disabling my firewall would solve it, but this didn't help either. It installed on the right port (5433).

netsrak
02-28-2010, 08:22 AM
Something is wrong with your 8.4 installation.

Uninstall it and download and install the latest version from PostgreSQL: The world's most advanced open source database (http://www.postgresql.org)

RaZZcal
02-28-2010, 09:03 AM
Tried it over and over again. Keep on getting the same message at the end of the installation (see above). Tried stopping the PostgreSQL service (of 8.3) during the installation of 8.4.2, but this didn't help either. The 8.4.2 installation is visible in Pgadmin, but when I try to connect it refuses.

Would it help if I removed 8.3 and then install 8.4.2?

blackmoney73
02-28-2010, 01:10 PM
try updating to .Net Framework 4 beta 2 and then download and install http://www.holdemmanager.com/downloads/HmBetaUpdate.exe

RaZZcal
02-28-2010, 01:52 PM
try updating to .Net Framework 4 beta 2 and then download and install http://www.holdemmanager.com/downloads/HmBetaUpdate.exe

Didn't help either. My database is extremly sluggish. And I can't seem to get the PostgreSQL 8.4.2 running next to the 8.3.

blackmoney73
02-28-2010, 02:55 PM
PostgreSQL 8.3 isn't compatible to run next to the PostgreSQL 8.4.2.
i think u should try uninstalling 8.3 first. then reboot system and run 8.4.2
reboot it again and see if it works

RaZZcal
02-28-2010, 03:15 PM
Well , Things got even worse now! HELP!

I completely uninstalled HM and both versions of PostgreSQL. Removed the folders and after a reboot tried to install HM through the Combo installer. At the end I get the message : "Sorry, could not install PostgreSQL".

I have completely uninstalled Norton and switched the Windows firewall off. Also I have switched off the UAC. But again... It just won't work.

Please help!

netsrak
03-01-2010, 07:38 AM
Please download and install Postgresql 8.4 from PostgreSQL: The world's most advanced open source database (http://www.postgresql.org).

If that doesn't work try 8.3 from the same source.