PDA

View Full Version : Timeout while getting a connection from pool

NoTurns
02-22-2010, 03:50 PM
Every time when I try to add multiple players to one Alias I get this error message. WHen I restart the sql server nothing changes, when I restart Holdem Manager I can add new players but the error will return after 20 or so players.

I've googled some and it's supposedly got to do with some setting for the connection pool. Do you have any suggestions on how to fix this issue? Should I edit the connectionstring (which I keep reading about through google hits) and if so where and how do I do this?

Thanks!

morny
02-22-2010, 05:16 PM
can you create a new database FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Create / Delete Database (http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/75/Create+%7B47%7D+Delete+Database) and see if you get the same problem with that. If you do first try reinstalling HM and PostgreSQL FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Reinstall PostgreSQL Preserving Old Database (http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/71/Reinstall+PostgreSQL+Preserving+Old+Database)

NoTurns
02-23-2010, 01:49 AM
I've done a complete fresh install of windows 7. Installed nothing but Holdem Manager. Created a clean database and imported some exported hands from my previous database. After about 20 players I get the same error.

From what I understand from the google hits I found it isn't really a bug but some kind of setting in postgresql...

NoTurns
02-23-2010, 04:06 AM
Still doing some reading on Google hits...

From what I understand so far the most likely cause of this error is because Holdem Manager is opening connections in a connection pool but not closing them. After some time SQL closes (garbage collects) them if the connections aren't being used.

So, when many connections are opened rapidly after eachother it is likely this error occurs. It seems Holdem Manager is opening, and not closing, a connection everytime I add a player to an alias.

This explains the fact that everytime I relaunch Holdem Manager it takes a while (in actions, not time) before the error is given again. This is probably because Holdem Manager is closing all open connections once it is being shut down.

Found this out through some reading, I myself am a programming/SQL/database noob (but a Google master :)) but does this make any sence to you or am I just rambling some nonsense here?

morny
02-23-2010, 03:10 PM
Are you saying it happens after you add 20 people to the alias? let me know so i can try and replicate this and see if there is a solution

NoTurns
02-23-2010, 03:56 PM
Well, it happens when I'm in the PLAYERS section, so not in the CASH GAMES section. When in the PLAYERS section you can right click a player and then select "Add player to current alias". When I do this about 20-30 times in a row, the error occurs. Note that it does not matter how many players already are in the alias. If this error occurs, I can restart Holdem Manager and add another 20 or so, hence and repeat.

However, when I just open this PLAYERS window, then go to "Options -> Player Aliases" and manually type in (the first couple of letters of) the names of those players and and add them there I can just keep on going, the error does not occur.

Obviously, althoug the latter option works, it's a tremendous hassle when you want to add lot's of players (say all players of a given stake, usually thousands) to one alias. The first option also takes some time but if the error doesn't occur it is doable with some speedy mouseclicking skills :).

Ofcourse everything would be much MUCH easier if it was simply possible to select multiple/ all players simultaneously in the PLAYERS section and add them to one alias all at once.

NoTurns
02-27-2010, 10:34 PM
Have you managed to reproduce the problem?

NoTurns
03-03-2010, 08:03 AM
Bump

netsrak
03-03-2010, 08:37 AM
I'll forward it to Morny, i think he is the best to answer this.

NoTurns
03-06-2010, 03:04 AM
:(

morny
03-06-2010, 07:50 PM
Sorry for the delay as the thread slipped through, i have reproduced the problem and i will submit it as a bug

NoTurns
03-29-2010, 08:42 AM
I just installed 1.10.04 and tried to reproduce the problem. Unfortunately I was able to :(.

I'm guessing this bug hasn't been adressed in 1.10.04 yet?

netsrak
03-29-2010, 12:54 PM
Sorry, our bug fixing department was on vacation the last weeks. There were not much fixes in .04. I hope its in the next release.

NoTurns
04-22-2010, 08:27 AM
I just installed 1.10.06 but unfortunately I was again able to reproduce the problem :(