PDA

View Full Version : pSQL server - OK to run all the time ?

_Loki_
02-20-2010, 02:15 PM
After cleaning up my XP system I re-installed HM/postgreSQL using the combo installer
Much simpler than the 'old' way of installing in two processes & then doing all that firewall stuff, but a couple of points & some questions...

WINDOWS 'SECONDARY LOGON' SERVICE
I had my 'secondary logon' service disabled which halted the installation & I had to exit the installation & change my Windows service setting back to the Windows standard. When I relaunched the installation it completed successfully, but it created an empty folder for some reason. No problem, but I suggest a note be placed next to the combo download link that this service needs to be set to Automatic (or manual?) before installing

PostgreSQL SERVER
I notice that the standard combo install is such that when HM is launched the postgreSQL Server is automatically launched too, but when HM is closed the server is left still running. Is this wise - especially as there is no tray icon displayed to let me know that process is running still ? Perhaps this is perfectly safe, but couldn't it increase the chances of a corrupt DB if I exit HM & perform PC maintenance without realising the pg server is running ? Defrag for example ?
I have changed the behaviour in Windows services & placed the green/red start/stop icons on my taskbar, but I must still remember to start/stop the server.

Q1. Is it safe/wise to have postgreSQL server running when it's not needed - perhaps it doesn't matter except from a resources point-of-view ?

But, if it does matter...

Q2. Couldn't the server be linked to HM to close with it ?
Q3. & similarly couldn't the server be made to open/close with pgAdmin III ?
Q4. If the above isn't possible how about the green arrow icon appearing in the system tray if the server is running when HM or pgAdmin III isn't running ?

morny
02-20-2010, 05:08 PM
WINDOWS 'SECONDARY LOGON' SERVICE
I had my 'secondary logon' service disabled which halted the installation & I had to exit the installation & change my Windows service setting back to the Windows standard. When I relaunched the installation it completed successfully, but it created an empty folder for some reason. No problem, but I suggest a note be placed next to the combo download link that this service needs to be set to Automatic (or manual?) before installing

This secondary service should be on by default

PostgreSQL SERVER
I notice that the standard combo install is such that when HM is launched the postgreSQL Server is automatically launched too, but when HM is closed the server is left still running. Is this wise - especially as there is no tray icon displayed to let me know that process is running still ? Perhaps this is perfectly safe, but couldn't it increase the chances of a corrupt DB if I exit HM & perform PC maintenance without realising the pg server is running ? Defrag for example ?
I have changed the behaviour in Windows services & placed the green/red start/stop icons on my taskbar, but I must still remember to start/stop the server.

Again this is normal to have this on and it wont have any issues, you can turn it off if you wish but i dont see any reason not to. It is advised to turn it off when running a defrag but it wont cause any problems if you do leave it on, just wont be as effective

Q2. Couldn't the server be linked to HM to close with it ?
not necessary, there is lots of services on your PC that you probably rarely use but that still isn't a good reason to turn them all off. Also other programs use PostgreSQL too

Q3. & similarly couldn't the server be made to open/close with pgAdmin III ?
See above

Q4. If the above isn't possible how about the green arrow icon appearing in the system tray if the server is running when HM or pgAdmin III isn't running ?
See above

_Loki_
02-20-2010, 09:17 PM
Thanx M

I'm reassured now - I will set postgreSQL to 'Automatic' in services & forget it exists