PDA

View Full Version : Best way to backup/restore hands in HEM

reemas
02-18-2010, 03:12 PM
I often reformat my computer (because I run Windows on a Mac and sometimes with Boot Camp) and end up having to reinstall HEM often (once every 4-6 months).

Anyway, what's the best way to backup my 1.5-2 mil hands and reimport them?

Is it:
1.) Export all hands from HEM then reimport
2.) Backup the postgres DB using pgadmin III and Restore using pgadmin III
3.) some other way?

I currently use option 1 but I can't tell you how many times it'll run for 8 hours and be like stuck or 1/3rd done. I usually end up stopping and trying again.

Please help.

djben2005
02-18-2010, 03:37 PM
I once did a postgres backup of a half-mill database and then restored it.
That didnīt take too long. It think it was only like 2 hours for each step or something (when I remember right).
However after restoring the database it was much slower in holdem manager than before. For example I had to wait like 2 to 3 times as long to load session results etc.
I donīt know why.. I did housekeeping and everything but that didnīt help. Maybe it was just me and others donīt have such problems, donīt know.
After that I created a new database and imported all the hand histories again. That took much longer than the backup/restore, but after that the database was much faster again in HEM.
Just my experiences.. that doesnīt mean thatīs necessarily the case when you do it.

reemas
02-18-2010, 03:40 PM
thanks for the reply. my experiences are similar. i'm hoping one of the HEM guys can comment cause this reimport of 2mil hands is killing me.

i was tempted to abort and do a pgadmin backup/restore but i *think* i once had issues with missing hands when i tried that.

just trying to see what's best. thanks all.

Patvs
02-18-2010, 10:02 PM
Definately #2: backup/restore in pgAdminIII!!!

Though... some things can go wrong with this process:
-the SQL version the backup was created in must be the same as the SQL it is restored to
-The database you restore to, must be completely EMPTY
-Don't use the database if you get any ERRORS during the restore.

Whenever HoldemManager has a big update.. I'd also suggest to create a new .backup file.

reemas
02-18-2010, 10:05 PM
patvs,

1.) whats wrong with #1 aside aside from being super slow?

2.) also i had postgres 8.3 when i did my backup. i intsalled HEM and now see it's installed 8.4 on win 7 automatically. am i stuck to #1?

Patvs
02-18-2010, 10:56 PM
I love to just reimport the original handhistories. (the handhistories are smaller and import faster)

Main reason I prefer #2, as your database grows in size, you'll often purge (delete hands, or decrease the size of your database) or edit a MTT result. (with the observed hand history configuration-->you can purge ALL hands and still keep the stats/graphs)

With the pgadminIII restore: it'll also restore bonus/rakeback info, ALIAS, NOTES.
You'll reach a certain threshold (1 million hands) where quickly reimporting all your original handhistories will just take too much time.

---

Just do #1 for now. Once you're finished importing everything. Have your bonus/rake back info setup, purged the hands you want to purge, setup your ALIAS, then create a nice backup in pgAdminIII.

reemas
02-18-2010, 10:59 PM
I love to just reimport the original handhistories. (the handhistories are smaller and import faster)

Main reason I prefer #2, as your database grows in size, you'll often purge (delete hands, or decrease the size of your database) or edit a MTT result. (with the observed hand history configuration-->you can purge ALL hands and still keep the stats/graphs)

With the pgadminIII restore: it'll also restore bonus/rakeback info, ALIAS, NOTES.
You'll reach a certain threshold (1 million hands) where quickly reimporting all your original handhistories will just take too much time.

---

Just do #1 for now. Once you're finished importing everything. Have your bonus/rake back info setup, purged the hands you want to purge, setup your ALIAS, then create a nice backup in pgAdminIII.

pat,
is there more info on this process or a detail of it somewhere (i.e. faq or thread)? i've seen generic descriptions but this sounds very useful. i'm unfamiliar with purging (shrinking my DB) and its uses so i'd love to read more about that too.

Patvs
02-18-2010, 11:22 PM
Read: (we've updated the FAQ, so it's more than just generic information)

FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Observed Hand History Configuration (http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/196/Observed+Hand+History+Configuration)

FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Backup & Restore Database (http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/72/Backup+%26+Restore+Database)

http://forums.holdemmanager.com/manager-general/11194-top-10-hem-performance-increase-tips.html

reemas
02-18-2010, 11:39 PM
thank you.

i'm bookmarking this thread.