PDA

View Full Version : RAMDisk

reemas
02-18-2010, 03:00 PM
I saw in the Perfomace Tips sticky that one of the links leads to a tip about using software called RAMDisk.

Does anyone here use that with Windows 7 and HEM? What are your thoughts?

Patvs
02-18-2010, 09:52 PM
How much RAM do you have?? If you have a fairly "fast" computer,...RAMDisk type programs are a bit useless.
They currently only are used to "relieve" the SSD harddisk from data transfers, by installing the Firefox/Internet Explorer CACHE on the RAMDisk.

Ouroborus
04-27-2017, 03:51 AM
Can you maybe give us an update on this? I'm thinking of building a new computer, with 32GB of DDR4 RAM. You say here that a RAMDisk type program would be useless, could you maybe explain why? It should be compatible with PSQL databses and significantly faster than even the fastest SSDs on the market.

Ishikawa
04-28-2017, 03:56 PM
Because RAMDisk could be the cause of out of memory exception. So your PC could be slower with RAMDisk than without it. For example: you have base with 1M hands. What will be with RAM usage if you put it on RAMDisk? RAM usage will up to 90-100% and this will cause huge lags because Windows will use:
1) 5GB RAM for base
2) Few GBs RAM for HM
4) If you use NoteCaddy then it will need few GBs RAM too (2-8 GB or more).
5) All other apps will use as much RAM as possible (this is how 64bit apps and Windows work).
6) Due to the session HM, NC, RAMDisk and PostgreSQL will expand RAM usage.
So in the middile of the session you can reach RAM limit and Windows will drop down all unused data from RAM to pagefile on SSD and after than you`ll get SSD swapping issue and Low memory message.

Samsung has smth like RAMDisk for their SSD and I saw explain scenario few times.

Ouroborus
04-28-2017, 10:44 PM
Because RAMDisk could be the cause of out of memory exception. So your PC could be slower with RAMDisk than without it. For example: you have base with 1M hands. What will be with RAM usage if you put it on RAMDisk? RAM usage will up to 90-100% and this will cause huge lags because Windows will use:
1) 5GB RAM for base
2) Few GBs RAM for HM
4) If you use NoteCaddy then it will need few GBs RAM too (2-8 GB or more).
5) All other apps will use as much RAM as possible (this is how 64bit apps and Windows work).
6) Due to the session HM, NC, RAMDisk and PostgreSQL will expand RAM usage.
So in the middile of the session you can reach RAM limit and Windows will drop down all unused data from RAM to pagefile on SSD and after than you`ll get SSD swapping issue and Low memory message.

Samsung has smth like RAMDisk for their SSD and I saw explain scenario few times.

I'm not sure I fully understand the argument, but couldn't what you described also happen without a RAMDisk? I mean if you don't have enough RAM, your computer will use a swap file to compensate. It sounds as though you are simply saying that I need more RAM to avoid an out of RAM exception from happening. I mean with a set limit on how large a RAMDisk should be, surely there is an amount of RAM that would make this workable.

Ishikawa
05-01-2017, 01:09 PM
Yes and no. PC will use a swap file to compensate if you don't have enough RAM but swap file should be enabled in this case. If swap file disabled then you just get low memory warning and huge system lags. Unfortunately HM2 doesn`t work properly with more than 32Gb RAM so in your case you can`t add more RAM. Also there no space\size limit for RAMDisk if you put HM2 base on it. Because the base is growing every time you run HM2 . So it will need more and more space on RAMDisk until in it fills all RAM or RAMDisk.

Ouroborus
05-02-2017, 03:24 AM
Thank you for elaborating. I think I see what you are saying now.