PDA

View Full Version : Holdem Manager Probs with Win7

DaMay85
02-09-2010, 11:42 AM
Hi,

I just installed Win7 on my PC and Holdem Manager using the combo installation. I also had a view into the FAQ and started Holdemmanager and dbcontrolpanel as admin but still the program doesn't start. an error occurs, that he can't connect to 127.0.0.1

What am I missing?

Kuthbert
02-09-2010, 01:39 PM
A month ago, after a stupid windows update, hold'em manager all the sudden stopped working. I had examens then and because making it work again usually takes at least a day, browsing these forums and being a computer idiot and all, i decided to postpone the fixing and focus on studying instead. Thanks for that btw.

Now, last week I tried what felt like a hundred different suggestions for postgre porblems but nothing worked. quit annoyed and pissed, I then decided to format my entire c drive while installing windows 7.

I thought starting all over with a complete 'virgin' computer, would definitely make HEM work again after reinstalling. As it would seem like I'm trying to install it on a brand new computer.
Surprise, surprise... it didn't.

so, I completely removed Norton Antivirus, have both defender and firewall disabled, added holdemmanger, holdemhud and dbcontrol to the exceptions lists, uac is switched off, i'm running all programs as administrator but when trying to install it using the combo installer, it always stops and says: 'could not install postgre';

try pass: postgres
try pass: postgrespass
connection to database failed: ==> could not cnnect to server: connection refused (...
is the server running on host '127.0.0.1" and accepting tcp/ip connections on port 5432.
error
testclient return status: 1
testclient return from file: 1

I'm fairly desperate by now so if you would be so kind to grant me a teamviewer session, that would be great.

Stéphane

morny
02-09-2010, 05:17 PM
Hi,

I just installed Win7 on my PC and Holdem Manager using the combo installation. I also had a view into the FAQ and started Holdemmanager and dbcontrolpanel as admin but still the program doesn't start. an error occurs, that he can't connect to 127.0.0.1

What am I missing?

Please see this FAQ if you use Kaspersky

FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Using Kaspersky Internet Security 2010? (http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/127/Using+Kaspersky+Internet+Security+2010%3F+)

Can you also follow this FAQ too FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Can't Connect / Failed to Start PostgreSQL (http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/91/Can't+Connect+%7B47%7D+Failed+to+Start+PostgreSQL+ )

morny
02-09-2010, 05:18 PM
A month ago, after a stupid windows update, hold'em manager all the sudden stopped working. I had examens then and because making it work again usually takes at least a day, browsing these forums and being a computer idiot and all, i decided to postpone the fixing and focus on studying instead. Thanks for that btw.

Now, last week I tried what felt like a hundred different suggestions for postgre porblems but nothing worked. quit annoyed and pissed, I then decided to format my entire c drive while installing windows 7.

I thought starting all over with a complete 'virgin' computer, would definitely make HEM work again after reinstalling. As it would seem like I'm trying to install it on a brand new computer.
Surprise, surprise... it didn't.

so, I completely removed Norton Antivirus, have both defender and firewall disabled, added holdemmanger, holdemhud and dbcontrol to the exceptions lists, uac is switched off, i'm running all programs as administrator but when trying to install it using the combo installer, it always stops and says: 'could not install postgre';

try pass: postgres
try pass: postgrespass
connection to database failed: ==> could not cnnect to server: connection refused (...
is the server running on host '127.0.0.1" and accepting tcp/ip connections on port 5432.
error
testclient return status: 1
testclient return from file: 1

I'm fairly desperate by now so if you would be so kind to grant me a teamviewer session, that would be great.

Stéphane

Please try any steps in here that you havent already or that are applicable FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Can't Connect / Failed to Start PostgreSQL (http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/91/Can't+Connect+%7B47%7D+Failed+to+Start+PostgreSQL+ )

if that dosent solve the issue contact us via support@holdemmanager.net to arrange a teamviewer session

Kuthbert
02-10-2010, 10:50 AM
Installed 8.3 from http://www.holdemmanager.com/pginstaller8.3 and it worked.
Just like that, weird.

Is there any way I can reimport my old database into my new and fully functional (great to say it out loud) hold'em manager?

Thanks a lot,

Stéphane

morny
02-10-2010, 11:25 AM
Did you archive your hands, more than likely all the original hands are stored at C:/HMarchive or another archive folder that you chose yourself, just import all these files and it should restore all your hands.

If you could get access to the old database then you could just export them but if its not connecting then you cant do this so the archive is your best option

Kuthbert
02-10-2010, 11:32 AM
Hi,

I formatted my entire c drive. I did a back up off course but don't seem to find a folder called HMAarchive. I do however have a folder called data with 18 gb in it.
Anything I can do with that?

Thanks
A computer illiterate (obviously)
Stéphane

morny
02-10-2010, 11:36 AM
The 18gb is more than likely your posgreSQL database folder, the path will usually be something like PostgreSQL/8.3/Data

To try and reconnect to this is a bit more complicated, since the new postgreSQL with a blank database worked it may not be possible to connect to the old database but if you'd like to try i can give you instructions.

The easiest way to search for the old database is to run a windows search of that backup drive and search for your username inside the files, then it should pick up loads of files if they were been archived, right click on any of those files and choose properties and it will tell you the location of the files

Kuthbert
02-10-2010, 11:42 AM
Hi,
Ok: complicated sounds great. I can endure some more, I guess.
Where can I find those complicated instructions to connect to the old database?
Thanks
Stéphane

morny
02-10-2010, 12:57 PM
Ok you need to follow this FAQ but first uninstall postgreSQL via the control panel and delete the C:/Program Files/PostgreSQL folder on the new driver as this is just an empty database so we dont need it

FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Reinstall PostgreSQL Preserving Old Database (http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/71/Reinstall+PostgreSQL+Preserving+Old+Database)

but do the following instead for step 6:

Copy your data folder from the old drive (i.e the one found at C:/Program Files/PostgreSQL/8.3/Data on the old drive) to the new drive. For this example well assume you save the data folder to C:/Data but you can copy it where you like

Now as you can see in the screenshot in step 6, the current location is set to C:/Program Files/PostgreSQL/8.3 for the installation. Thats fine and no need to change that. But click on the data directory node which is under the Database server, when you click on that youll see that the location changes to C:/Program Files/PostgreSQL/8.3/Data this is where it was going to install the new database files but we want to change it to the location you stored the old database files so click on Browse when Data Directory is selected and choose C:/Data as the location (or wherever you decide to store the old database files)

Then follow the rest of the FAQ and it will then try to open the old database when its finished, if you get the cannot connect again its probably an issue with the old files and its unlikely to work so reinstalling PostgreSQL and start with a blank database looks like your only option unfortunately then unless you can find those old hand histories in the archive.