PDA

View Full Version : Place HEM database files on mapped network drive

dotnetdude
02-08-2010, 07:31 AM
Hi,

I know this discussion has been touched on many times here but, as far as I can tell, without satisfaction for me.

All I wish to do is place my "data" folder from HEM onto a "server" and map the folder to a drive letter (eg s: ).

I have done the following without success :-

1) Stopped the Postgres service.

2) Copied the "data" folder under "C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.3" to the new network share "data" folder.

3) Mapped the networked share as "s:\"

4) Checked access by going to "s:\data" - all files are there.

5) Followed this thread (http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/336/How+do+I+setup+Holdem+Manager+to+share+one+databas e+between+two+computers%3F) to change the location of the destination file in the registry to "s:\data".

6) Tried to restart Postgres service. This is the sticking point. After several minutes of waiting while the service tries to start it always comes up with an error starting and this message in the event log "postgres cannot access the server configuration file "S:/data/postgresql.conf": No such file or directory"".

As I know this is not the case I wondered if anyone can shed a light on a solution. For the purposes of my testing I have enabled the share so that "everyone" has full control on the permissions front.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

James.

netsrak
02-08-2010, 08:13 AM
Please try to give the user postgres ownership permissions to this files / folders.

dotnetdude
02-08-2010, 09:10 AM
Hi,

There isnt a user called "postgres" on the system where HEM is installed.

The networked folder where the data is stored has "everyone" as permitted which also has "full access".

What is strange is that if I use just the term "s:" in the image path setting in the Postgres registry it prepends the line with "c:\windows\system32\" but if I then use "s:\" it adds an additional / to the command line eg.

"postgres cannot access the server configuration file "C:/Windows/system32/S:/postgresql.conf": No such file or directory"

and

"postgres cannot access the server configuration file "S://postgresql.conf": No such file or directory"

netsrak
02-08-2010, 12:08 PM
Postgresql can't access a root path like s:\. You need to create a subfolder s:\postgresql or sth. like that and move the data folder to this folder.

dotnetdude
02-08-2010, 12:20 PM
OK, thats changed but with the same error :-

postgres cannot access the server configuration file "S:/data/postgresql.conf": No such file or directory.

When I browse to this folder but simply copying and pasting the above location into the command window it shows fine.

I have read something about allowing network connections by changing the file pg_hba.conf, does this have any relevance here?

Thanks.

James.

dotnetdude
02-08-2010, 12:21 PM
ps.

This is the full line within the registry for the image location :-

"C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.3\bin\pg_ctl.exe" runservice -w -N "pgsql-8.3" -D "S:\data"

netsrak
02-08-2010, 12:23 PM
Network connections is sth. different - its for client access.

You are stuck at the basic postgresql configuration.
I'm pretty sure it is sth. with the owner of the files/folders but i suggest you look at a more qualified postgresql community for this special problem. http://www.postgresql.org/community/

dotnetdude
02-08-2010, 12:27 PM
Excuse my ignorance but what is "sth"?

netsrak
02-09-2010, 04:59 AM
something