PDA

View Full Version : every DB I make gets corrupted

Nemesis
02-04-2010, 09:57 AM
So I made a new DB (UTF) and made a restore in pgadmin of a backup DB that was made in dec (also UTF) but the hands doesn´t show up correctly in the report tab.

I repeated the process and once again it doesn´t work. The only was I have to not lose my hands is to make regular backups but when the backups doesn´t work I´m lost. I always hear about people losing their entire database and I always think.. they should be making backups. But clearly the problem doesn´t end there.

Everything´s a mess now and if you could help me out live somehow then that would be awsum otherwise I don´t know what to do. I´ve given you all my info before in earlier threads (When my DB got corrupted in december and in november) and I´ve taken all the steps you´ve recommended me at that time.

NoTurns
02-04-2010, 06:22 PM
Same problem?

http://forums.holdemmanager.com/showthread.php?t=25456

Nemesis
02-04-2010, 07:48 PM
Same problem?

http://forums.holdemmanager.com/showthread.php?t=25456

It could be the same, yes.

When the amount of hands differ from the amount in the report I think it means our database is corrupt (this is what HEM support have concluded before). The problem is that I don´t know what corrupts it.

Nemesis
02-04-2010, 08:36 PM
Yet again.

I reinstalled the newest holdemanager 1.10.02. I reinstalled postgres (the last 8.3 version they had). I made a new UTF database and instead of restore I´ve imported the exported hands from my old DB. Yet again hands starts missing in the report tab. I haven´t imported all 3M hands yet. But after importing 1M played hands only 700K hands show up. No filters. All hands set.

fozzy71
02-05-2010, 01:54 AM
Yet again.

I reinstalled the newest holdemanager 1.10.02. I reinstalled postgres (the last 8.3 version they had). I made a new UTF database

Were you using 8.4 previously? If you are using 8.3 the DB needs to be SQLASCII. If you are using 8.4 it should be UTF.

and instead of restore I´ve imported the exported hands from my old DB.

It's always better to import your archived/original hands instead of the exported hands. What sites are the hands from? Do you have your old \HMArchive folder? If you play a site like stars/ftp you can email their support and ask for all your old hand histories and tourney summaries.

Nemesis
02-05-2010, 06:29 AM
Were you using 8.4 previously? If you are using 8.3 the DB needs to be SQLASCII. If you are using 8.4 it should be UTF.

Really? So I should be using ASCII (it just said that UTF was recommended period. I haven´t used postgres 8.4 at all (since I´ve heard that a lot of people has had problems with 8.4 getting it up and running, is this fixed) I saw you recommend 8.3 over 8.4 in another thread when using win7. And my DB consist of 3M played hands so don´t I need UTF?

So could that be the whole problem?

It's always better to import your archived/original hands instead of the exported hands. What sites are the hands from? Do you have your old \HMArchive folder? If you play a site like stars/ftp you can email their support and ask for all your old hand histories and tourney summaries.

Sadly I don´t have a choice in this... I have some archived hands but most are exported. Restoring has only led to problems though so importing exported hands have to be the second best, right?

----------

NoTurns
02-05-2010, 09:00 AM
I've been using Postgre 8.4 all this time, HM 1.10.01 in Windows 7. I've created all UTF databases and now I'm trying ASCII (took some figuring out hwo to do this though). After couple K hands no problems yet but usually problems start around the 10k mark.

If you are using 8.3 and I'm using 8.4 it's probably not version related (Postgre)
If you are using HM 1.10.02 and I'm using HM 1.10.01 the problem prob isn;t there either
I've had problems at different sites (Everest and Full Tilt), so it's probably not site related.

Leaves me with two likely possibilities:
Something went wrong with HM somewhere in the newer versions, maybe only for Windows 7 machines.
It's just some WIndows 7 problem (maybe icw Postgresql)?

Nemesis
02-05-2010, 09:18 AM
del

Nemesis
02-05-2010, 10:22 AM
I've been using Postgre 8.4 all this time, HM 1.10.01 in Windows 7. I've created all UTF databases and now I'm trying ASCII (took some figuring out hwo to do this though). After couple K hands no problems yet but usually problems start around the 10k mark.

If you are using 8.3 and I'm using 8.4 it's probably not version related (Postgre)
If you are using HM 1.10.02 and I'm using HM 1.10.01 the problem prob isn;t there either
I've had problems at different sites (Everest and Full Tilt), so it's probably not site related.

Leaves me with two likely possibilities:
Something went wrong with HM somewhere in the newer versions, maybe only for Windows 7 machines.
It's just some WIndows 7 problem (maybe icw Postgresql)?

Yes I agree with your conclusions.

I´m trying ascii now on 8.3.9 and 1.10.02 I´ll report back in this thread how that works out. But since you´ve tried UTF on 8.4 then it´s probably not version related as you said. It might be that ASCII has less problems on average though so it will be interesting to see how that works out for us. Though I should really be using UTF since my DB is over 3M PLAYED (!) hands.

I use windows 7 on a bootcamp partitioned mac but that shouldn´t make a difference.

I´m also starting to think that the problem lies whitin HEM since it can allocate all the hands just not show them in the reports tab! I´ve always gotten the response that my DB is corrupt and that I need to start a new one but perhaps the DBs are ok and it´s HEM (!) who has trouble displaying certain hands.

Nemesis
02-05-2010, 10:22 AM
Tried ASCII now (with 8.3.9 and 1.10.02) and the problem remains.

So I think we can rule out UTF vs ASCII or 8.3 vs 8.4 or HEM version.

Something in HEM or windows7 is probably off.

NoTurns
02-05-2010, 07:15 PM
I´m also starting to think that the problem lies whitin HEM since it can allocate all the hands just not show them in the reports tab!

Yes, I agree this could very well be the case!

netsrak
02-06-2010, 09:10 AM
I don't think we have general database problems, we would have much more people reporting this.
I think its something with your special hardware/software configuration.
For example: are you accessing the postgresql data folders from the mac side (virus scanner or sth. like that)?

Nemesis
02-06-2010, 09:16 AM
I don't think we have general database problems, we would have much more people reporting this.
I think its something with your special hardware/software configuration.
For example: are you accessing the postgresql data folders from the mac side (virus scanner or sth. like that)?

No, all the programs I use are on the windows partition. A small part of my HD has mac snow leopard on it but I never use it.. always boot up in windows 7. The data folders are also on the windows side.

I use avast antivirus. From what I know this is the most used antivirus programs (that you don´t have to pay for) out there. There are very little settings on this program and everything is set to default.

The computer is brand new and the components should be top notch. Granted it´s a mac but the others that have posted threads with the same problem doesn´t mention that this has anything to do with running windows on a mac. I have had no software problems on this computer except with HEM as of yet.

netsrak
02-06-2010, 12:01 PM
Sorry to hear that, but you should know this is a support forum. So all people posting here have problems.. But i would say the vast majority has no problems, no matter whether they are running XP, Vista or Windows 7.

I suggest you try to find more help at the postgresql sites (www.postgresql.org). May be you find sth. about mac problems in their community?

Nemesis
02-06-2010, 12:22 PM
Sorry to hear that, but you should know this is a support forum. So all people posting here have problems.. But i would say the vast majority has no problems, no matter whether they are running XP, Vista or Windows 7.

I suggest you try to find more help at the postgresql sites (www.postgresql.org). May be you find sth. about mac problems in their community?

Your first reply sound strange. As if you thought I was whining about HEM being the only program I have troubles with. I was just giving a response to your statement that it could be a hardware problem. I would like to know if a person has had any problem with other software on his hardware setup if I made that statement.

I know everybody in a support forum has problem but I would hope that not everybody has had a recurring problem of this magnitude. My DB has been corrupted 5 times now the last 3.5 months. If I make a sound of desperation here it is because I keep getting the feedback to just make a new DB and start over from scratch. This is not much of support. What would be helpful would be if you guys set up a teamviewer session with me and really digged in to the problem.

And to answer your last question. PostgresSQL works fine on my mac with other programs (like PT3, PT2 and other software that accesses postgresSQL). So I can´t see how you would want to lays this over on postgresSQL (I´ve bought a program from you not from PostgresSQL, using them as your database provider is your choice not mine). The fact is that mac once the harddrived is partitioned with windows works like any PC. Even the processor is intel these days.

Nemesis
02-06-2010, 01:42 PM
Here is an interesting update.

I´m not 100% sure but it seems as if it´s the amount of hands next to the names in "select player" window that are wrong and not the hands that show up in the report tab.

When "the joint" alias in the "select player" window had 950K hands there were 950K hands reported. But as soon as I imported and added an alias (making it 1M hands total) I got 1.3M next to the joint alias in the select player window but exactly 1M hands showed up in the report tab.

Hope you followed that? So adding 50K hands HEM suddenly thought it got 350K more hands until I actually ask for a report and then it just shows the 50K more hands.

Could it be anything wrong in HEM when passing the 1M hands or in how it gathers the amount to show in "select player" window? Or maybe it gets confused once you add one to many aliases? (I have many)

B-Money
02-06-2010, 07:26 PM
I feel your pain.

About the best thing we can do is get your hands, import all 3mil of them into our databases and try to get the same problems you are describing. If we can duplicate the issue on our end we can fix it. If we can't duplicate it, we can't fix it because we don't know where to start on fixing the problem. Bottom line, we have to be able to duplicate a problem to fix a problem. Best way to do that is to get your hands and we'll use them in our databases as we look at other support requests.

Do you have a way to zip up and upload those hands to the internet so we can download them and use your hands in our databases as we test?

-B

Nemesis
02-08-2010, 03:46 AM
I feel your pain.

About the best thing we can do is get your hands, import all 3mil of them into our databases and try to get the same problems you are describing. If we can duplicate the issue on our end we can fix it. If we can't duplicate it, we can't fix it because we don't know where to start on fixing the problem. Bottom line, we have to be able to duplicate a problem to fix a problem. Best way to do that is to get your hands and we'll use them in our databases as we look at other support requests.

Do you have a way to zip up and upload those hands to the internet so we can download them and use your hands in our databases as we test?

-B

Thank you for the kind words of recognition.

I´ll get back to you but it seems I´m on to something. So far I have imported 2M hands (of the 3M) and the amount of hands from player select window and the ones shown on the report still differ 300K hands. I´m careful of following up any import I have done and my conclusion are different then your (of course I recognize that you actually know a lot more then me). My conclusion is that the DB is not corrupt or not corrupt in a way that actually lends itself to any problems. Why? Well the amount of hands that show up in the report are spot on the amount of hands that I should be having. So I can still follow my play, filter for stuff and much more and get the right result.

So again I would reiterate that I think there is a small bug or something to that effect that makes the amount of hands that show up on an opponent in the player select window to be off at the times. What makes it be off. Well either it´s corrupt DB as you say (but then corruption is a non problem here) or it´s something that happens with certain hands (I imported 200K hands and suddenly player select window thought I have 500K more on the "joint alias") or it´s something that happens just when I pass the amount of 1M hands for the "joint alias". These are my assumptions right now and I might be wrong.. Still 1M hands to import so I´ll let you know the development.

Would again just like to state that when someone say that the DB is corrupt you automatically feel that you need to discard the DB since you think your actual results or the hands that get reported are off. But if it´s only the amount of hands shown in the player select window (or perhaps the hands that show up in the players tab) then it´s a non-issue for 99.99% of the poker playing population.

uddudd
03-01-2010, 05:00 PM
this is little like my problem. I have a new computer imac and am running bootcamp with windows 7 but the DB has corrupted 2 times now on 1 month....

Any solutions?

Since I too was importing from files and with new postgres both times there shouldnt be any problem?

morny
03-01-2010, 05:53 PM
The 2 most common causes of this problems are 1) powering off your computer or having your computer lose power while the database is doing something and 2) an old drive with bad sectors on it. Basically what happens is a small portion of a file gets slightly corrupt and then when you reboot and windows goes into that checkdsk procedure it finds the bad section and, thinking it is doing a good thing, removes it. Postgres then loads the table and a portion of it is gone so it doesn’t like that and blocks access to the entire table. Normally when this happens it is on a completely useless file that you'll never even notice is now gone and quite often it will happen to an index in the DB which can easily be rebuilt but in your case it happened to one or more of the tables.

So, to protect against this

1) keep you hands histories in case you do need to reimport
2) use a power bar and avoid hard shutdowns (when you flick the power switch on the pc)
3) if your drive is old consider replacing it with a new one. They are cheap and much faster now than even a few years ago.

FWIW ive been using HM for probably 2 years, as part of internal testing we try out internal betas which would have more bugs than the versions we release, i regularly import hands people send that they cant get to import, i datamine 24 hours on a networked PC and i play poker regularly using HM and ive only gotten 1 corruption when my PC lost power during an import so it is extremely stable so if your having issues its most likely something on your PC, it may also be something to do with running a virtual windows setup on your MACs so the PostgreSQL forums might be able to help you with that issue

NoTurns
03-02-2010, 06:05 AM
Yes, I have made a fresh windows install on a new harddrive after I found out my old drive had bad sectors on it. The problem seems fixed. Keeping my fingers crossed...