PDA

View Full Version : Backup

idealdecor
02-04-2010, 07:24 AM
Hi! In case my comp die I want to backup my statistics from HEM.
I bought an external drive recently.
How do I do if I want to move the HEM database til this external drive? Whats the name of the folder/file that I have to move? And then of course I want to do these moves now and then to update the database on the external drive. Does the comp "feel" what to include in the move every time? I mean if I move the database now it will be a huge file to move but as I do these "update" moves the comp feel that it just move the things it doesnt already moved? And how do I do the "update" moves? I send the HEM-folder/file every time?

Idcr

fozzy71
02-05-2010, 03:33 AM
Hi! In case my comp die I want to backup my statistics from HEM.
I bought an external drive recently.
How do I do if I want to move the HEM database til this external drive?

Do you want to relocate/move it or just copy it?

Whats the name of the folder/file that I have to move?

You shouldn't move any database files.

And then of course I want to do these moves now and then to update the database on the external drive. Does the comp "feel" what to include in the move every time?

No, windows wouldn't do this if you were doing it this way. you need a file sync program. I use AllWay Sync to keep all of my data backed up and current. I also use an online data site for storage offsite.

I mean if I move the database now it will be a huge file to move but as I do these "update" moves the comp feel that it just move the things it doesnt already moved? And how do I do the "update" moves? I send the HEM-folder/file every time?

The most important thing to keep is your original hand histories from the archive. Your \HMArchive is likely not in your \Holdem Manager directory. We normally suggest you use C:\HMArchive, but you may have put it anywhere.

To verify the location: Options > Configure Auto Import Folders > Edit > Archive Folder: ___________________

http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/119/Warning:+You+have+XXX+Hand+History+Files+in+your+A uto+Import+Folders

The archive should be organized by \Month\DayOfMonth (example: D:\HMArchive\2009\07\31).

If you play a site like stars/ftp you can email their support and ask for all your old hand histories and tourney summaries.

To 'backup' your database you can use this method from time to time. Then if you have problems you can restore the last .backup file and import the hands played in your archive since the last backup file.

http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/72/Backup+%26+Restore+Database

idealdecor
02-05-2010, 02:04 PM
Ok. I now moved all the handhistory files that I saved til the external drive (some of the files are huge as I didnt move the files that often before. I play at Prima and I have to do the moves manually).
Now I see a big problem in this -I want to backup quite often, i would prefer to do it every day to be honest. But then the external drive will recieve loads and loads of single files (handhistory 2/2-2010, handhistory 3/2-2010 and so on so on so on...).
Maybe i can drag these single small files into one of the big ones that I moved there already? Or it doesnt allow me to do that operation? If it is allowed it doesnt matter which file I add it into? I guess HEM can sort out if I understand it correct.
If that isnt possible i would prefer the application you mentioned (allway sync). Do I need to be a computer pro to make that work? I guess that this program send backup to the external drive automatically all the time. Or Im wrong? I found the application and it seem to be free.
And why do u also send your handhistory to an online data site? I guess an external drive would be enough or Im wrong?

idcr

fozzy71
02-05-2010, 02:24 PM
Ok. I now moved all the handhistory files that I saved til the external drive (some of the files are huge as I didnt move the files that often before. I play at Prima and I have to do the moves manually).
Now I see a big problem in this -I want to backup quite often, i would prefer to do it every day to be honest. But then the external drive will recieve loads and loads of single files (handhistory 2/2-2010, handhistory 3/2-2010 and so on so on so on...).

Prima uses gamehistory.dat files for their hand histories, nto individual files.

Maybe i can drag these single small files into one of the big ones that I moved there already? Or it doesnt allow me to do that operation? If it is allowed it doesnt matter which file I add it into? I guess HEM can sort out if I understand it correct.

Just close Prima and 'Cut' the gamehistory.dat file from their folder. 'Paste' it into your external drive's backup folder you use for this. Choose to keep both copies of the file instead of copy and replace. this will rename all the subsequent files to something like gamehistory(2).dat, and so on.

If that isnt possible i would prefer the application you mentioned (allway sync). Do I need to be a computer pro to make that work? I guess that this program send backup to the external drive automatically all the time. Or Im wrong? I found the application and it seem to be free.

You need a basic understanding of computers so you can create the sync jobs for it to do them. You basically pick the folder you are backing up and where you want the backup copy to be. It doesn't move files it copies them as a backup. I use this so I always have a copy of everything. I don't use it to archive my hand histories as HM does that for me. With Prima .dat files you must move them to an archive folder, on your PC or on an external, manually.

And why do u also send your handhistory to an online data site? I guess an external drive would be enough or Im wrong?

It is mostly in case of fire or theft, or if my PC and external were to both get damaged at once. I don't use the online storage for my poker database as I reinstall and reimport often, but I do backup all of my original hands and other poker/HM related data. I use it for all of my other personal data files and all of my poker graphics mods files as they are very important to me.

idealdecor
02-06-2010, 04:17 AM
Ok I think I understand:) but to be sure I now gonna be super evident just to be sure i understood all this correct. Sorry if I maybe tend to ask same things again but then its cause I didnt understand all things for full. Fozzy, I had you before in another long thread and because of the very good patiense and answers you gave there I dealt with HEM in a quick way. Ok now til my super evident questions (lol) concerning your last answer:

Prima has handhistory called "gamehistory.dat". I started to use HEM in november 2009. From that date I havnt deleted any "gamehistory.dat"-file in the main Prima folder until the 1st of february. As i played a lot the file became huge I guess. But as you said I saved it regularly in the archivemap.

As I bought the external drive my intension was to move that huge file into that drive and then regularly move gamehistory into it.
So -I made my comp search for "gamehistory.dat" and I found the huge file and moved it to the desktop. Then I dragged it into the external drive.
At once Prima created a new gamehistory.dat in their main folder.

Now one thing I didnt understand. Assume (cause its true) I want to backup HEM stats every day. Then you say I better cut and paste. You mean I cut the "gamehistory.dat" from main folder and paste it into the external drive?
I also didnt get what actualy happen then. My prob is that I can imagine that the drive will be all filled with small "gamehistory.dat"-files from every day. If I do the backup every day it will conatin 365 small files and then when I want to add them to a new comp I have to import them one by one??

Maybe you already explained this but i didnt get it then:) But did you mean that if I cut n paste instead of drag it til the desktop these small files collect in one single file automatically? Or I can drag for example the 3/2-2010 -gamehistory into the huge gamehistory-file and it integrate with it?

Sorry if I tend to ask same questions again or ask about things you already explained lol but its cause Im not that sure of comp stuff allover so to say haha. Then better ask again i guess.

fozzy71
02-12-2010, 11:46 PM
Most people don't do it every day like you do. Your method is OK, but I would suggest every so often you actually Cut/Paste it so it can create a new .dat file before this one gets too big to cause problems again.