PDA

View Full Version : New Computer - Moving HEM and Database

tontobird
09-25-2008, 10:58 PM
So I'm following these instructions.

http://208.109.95.123/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=101

But I'm unclear on the uninstalling and reinstalling of postgre. Do I start all over again with a fresh install of postgre and then restore the database from the backup? Or do I somehow end up with the postgre that's on my old computer installed on my new computer?

I don't have a firewire type deal, I am using an external hard drive as the between spot.

I guess I also totally re-download HEM? I have already gotten a code from Roy's quick response to my email.

Thanks.

morny
09-26-2008, 03:10 PM
Basically you backup the database folders by using the backup option and then on the new computer you install PostgreSQL which will have an empty database. You then take the backup you made on the old computer and then restore option installs the database in the correct place on your new computer so essentially its moving it from one PC to another.

For HEM install the full installation from the website for version 1.06.03h and then it will connect to PostgreSQL and retrieve your database

willwonka
09-28-2008, 09:47 PM
I've done a little bit of searching; but can't find exactly what I need.

My hard drive just crashed. I had to do a complete restore. I was, however, able to copy most of my hard drive files to an external drive.

I've reinstalled HM and will reinstall the database next. My question revolves around how I get it re-registered and get the database restored to the newly reformatted and recovered hard drive.

Thanks.

morny
09-29-2008, 09:35 AM
email support@holdemmanager.net for the new code. To restore the database you need to create the following set of folders:

C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\PostgreSQL8.x\Data

Now replace PostgreSQL8.x with the version of postgreSQL your installing most likely 8.2 or 8.3

Then copy the contents of C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\PostgreSQL8.x\Data on your old hard drive to the folder you created above on the new drive

Then install PostgreSQL on the default path which is C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL but when you get to the screen where it asks for the password the 2nd time untick the "Initialise database Cluster" tickbox and then finish the installation.

tontobird
09-29-2008, 12:52 PM
I'm still not clear on the necessary steps to do this.

I've exported my hands, backed up my DB.

Now do I start over as if I bought HM new? Except now I have hands to restore?

tontobird
09-29-2008, 12:59 PM
OK, I did see where it says in the PDF installation instructions to follow the same instructions for a new computer.

However, the link for the full install is not working from the main page holdemmanager.net.

morny
09-29-2008, 02:28 PM
The download link is working fine, maybe try a different browser or delete temp internet files with that browser and try again

tontobird
09-29-2008, 02:38 PM
It finally worked, not sure what I did to make it work.

Thanks.

tontobird
09-29-2008, 03:24 PM
OK, so I downloaded Postgre following these instructions:

http://www.holdemmanager.net/PostgreSQL_Install_Help.html

But I don't know how to unzip the file.

I don't recall it being this complicated the first time I did it, I didn't have to unzip anything.

morny
09-29-2008, 03:37 PM
You need to have a unzipping program installed then use that to unzip. Theres loads of them so it depends which one your using, just follow the instructions with the program to unzip the file

tontobird
09-29-2008, 10:50 PM
Extracting the files without a zip program gave me the proper access to set up the db.

Fabio helped me.

However, now I don't know how to restore the settings.

I moved the config folder out of my HM in my old computer. I dragged it into the config folder of the HM in my new computer, but the settings are not taking over.

What do I do now?

I have to say, the FAQ instructions are really not specific enough.

morny
09-30-2008, 10:46 AM
Just delete all the files currently in there when HM is closed and then import the old config files into that folder then restart HM. Gimme a shout if you cant figure it out

tontobird
09-30-2008, 12:24 PM
Thank you morny.

Now my imported hands are not moving to the archive file. I have set it up properly a couple of times. One more time and now I'm testing it again.

morny
09-30-2008, 01:07 PM
They dont move right away, after you havent used HM for an extended period and then restart the auto import it will move them so you dont need to worry about it.

tontobird
09-30-2008, 01:07 PM
OK, it seems to be working now.

Thank you.

ode
10-11-2008, 02:51 PM
Are 8.2 and 8.3 databases compatible?
Can I do backup with 8.2 and restore it in 8.3?

fabio
10-11-2008, 05:21 PM
Are 8.2 and 8.3 databases compatible?
Can I do backup with 8.2 and restore it in 8.3?

http://208.109.95.123/forum/showpost.php?p=7254&postcount=2