PDA

View Full Version : Pls Help "Could not install PostgreSQL"

RiverIsMyFriend
02-02-2010, 08:28 AM
Hi,

I've been trying to set up a new desktop and I'm having trouble with HEM. It is a fresh installed vista 32bit version with all new updates installed, HEM being the first few programs I chose to install (no 3rd party security software at all).

During the first install I didn't turn off windows firewall, and at the end of the install process I got this message "Sorry could not install PostgreSQL". The installation window stopped with the message "testclient return from file: 1"

If I try to start the server manually, I get the message "the service name is invalid. More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 2185. etc"

If I try to restart the server manually I got "System error 1060 has occurred. The specified service does not exist as an installed service."

Please help.

RiverIsMyFriend
02-02-2010, 08:32 AM
Oh I forgot to add that I then turned off windows firewall and defender, I also added all the exceptions and folders to them following the faq instructions but still no luck.

netsrak
02-02-2010, 09:15 AM
Please download a postgresql installer from www.postgresql.org and try a standard installation of 8.4 or 8.3

RiverIsMyFriend
02-05-2010, 05:24 AM
OK I was able to get it work using the old postgresql 8.3 zip file. (combo installer and 8.4 installer from postgresql.org did not work). Then I realized that 32bit vista could only utilize 3.5gb of my 6gb RAM. So I decided to start over. This time with a 64bit vista ultimate system.

When running the 8.4 installer from postgresql.org, I got this error message.

Problem running post-install step. Installation could not complete correctly
Error reading file C:/Program Files (x86)/PostgresSQL/8.4/data/postgresql.conf.

I've turned UAC off and closed the firewall/antivirus program.

netsrak
02-06-2010, 08:02 AM
Was the folder empty before starting the installation. Did you switch off UAC before the installation?

I suggest you delete the folder and try to start the installation again.