PDA

View Full Version : new HEM creates a postgres user acct , wtf?

pj94z
02-01-2010, 03:48 PM
I just installed the new HEM on my laptop running vista home premium.

The installer threw an error towards the end stating " postgres could not install "...but after I rebooted, HEM worked fine and everything was normal.

I noticed now, I have a new user account when I boot up windows called "postgres"

How can I remove this acct? Why is this acct even created?

seems like way too much overhead to run a small database for HEM

fozzy71
02-01-2010, 07:55 PM
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/remove-user-accounts-from-the-logon-screen-in-windows-vista/

stry67
02-02-2010, 01:12 AM
I had this occur as well but I am using windows 7. Are you saying fozzy that's its ok to delete this sql user account and it won't mess up HEM's access to sql or anything else?

netsrak
02-02-2010, 09:05 AM
It doesn't delete the user it just hides it from the login screen which was default behaviour in previous windows versions.

pj94z
02-02-2010, 08:18 PM
It doesn't delete the user it just hides it from the login screen which was default behaviour in previous windows versions.

Is there any way to install postgres without creating a separate user acct?

Like installing postgres separtely then HEM... in the older versions?

I would much prefer this option

fozzy71
02-02-2010, 11:58 PM
Is there any way to install postgres without creating a separate user acct?

Not if you want to use the current 8.4 versions of PostgreSQL.

Like installing postgres separtely then HEM... in the older versions?

1) Uninstall PostgreSQL from the Windows Control Panel.
2) Start > Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt > Right-Click > Run As Administrator

net user postgres /delete
3) Reboot.
4) Install our old PostgreSQL 8.3 after you unzip it from this zip package - http://www.holdemmanager.com/downloads/postgresql.zip

I would much prefer this option

I will probably regret asking this, but what does it matter?

pj94z
02-03-2010, 02:09 PM
Not if you want to use the current 8.4 versions of PostgreSQL.

I will probably regret asking this, but what does it matter?

well, several reasons.

1. possible security issues with having an additional acct open in my system
2. takes up additional resources
3. rather annoying when someone else in my family uses the postgres acct
instead of clicking on their own...then backing up files becomes a pain

4. when installing some programs, it requires ONLY 1 user to be logged on.
I had problems installing a program since postgres install...the program wouldnt let me install.

5. I just don't like creating a new acct for postgres. period.

On an additional note, is it a postgres requirement or HEM requirement that postgres have a separate windows acct ?

fozzy71
02-03-2010, 03:11 PM
well, several reasons.

1. possible security issues with having an additional acct open in my system

Not really any less secure than it already is IMO. Create a huge password for that account full of caps, lowercase, and special characters.

2. takes up additional resources

If this is really a concern, it is time for a new PC.

3. rather annoying when someone else in my family uses the postgres acct
instead of clicking on their own...then backing up files becomes a pain

Hiding the user with the registry hack would solve this.

4. when installing some programs, it requires ONLY 1 user to be logged on.
I had problems installing a program since postgres install...the program wouldnt let me install.

I have been using 8.4 for about a year now, and have always hidden the postgres user. I have a vista and xp machine, and have never had this problem, or had anyone report it.

5. I just don't like creating a new acct for postgres. period.

I guess I just wasted time replying to your previous points, if you are that stubborn about the issue.

On an additional note, is it a postgres requirement or HEM requirement that postgres have a separate windows acct ?

We do not create the postgresql installers. We use the files from postgresql.org and they create the user account. It happened the first time I used 8.4 last year, that I downloaded from postgresql.org.

pj94z
02-03-2010, 03:46 PM
Not really any less secure than it already is IMO. Create a huge password for that account full of caps, lowercase, and special characters.

If this is really a concern, it is time for a new PC.

Hiding the user with the registry hack would solve this.

I have been using 8.4 for about a year now, and have always hidden the postgres user. I have a vista and xp machine, and have never had this problem, or had anyone report it.

I guess I just wasted time replying to your previous points, if you are that stubborn about the issue.

We do not create the postgresql installers. We use the files from postgresql.org and they create the user account. It happened the first time I used 8.4 last year, that I downloaded from postgresql.org.

lol

i think you are missing the point here. I'm just going to "deal" with the problem for now...however, it seems you really should take a class in "customer service"

You should be trying to offer solutions that fit the customer, rather than trying to mold the customer into fitting the application. It's systems design 101.

Yes - I have a degree in computer science too :)

fozzy71
02-03-2010, 04:28 PM
lol

i think you are missing the point here. I'm just going to "deal" with the problem for now...

I know.

however, it seems you really should take a class in "customer service"

That isn't my standard line with most subjects. I wasn't trying to be rude or condescending, and apologize if you took it that way. I don't know much about windows logon and security (I always use 1 logon only) and was trying to engage you in some debate about it.

We had already beaten the main topic to death but then you put up 5 bullet points, I was hoping to learn more about those issues. I thought we might both be able to learn a bit from some lively debate.

You should be trying to offer solutions that fit the customer, rather than trying to mold the customer into fitting the application.

I think I had already done that before we went off on this tangent discussion about logon ID's.