PDA

View Full Version : I'm not heavy...I'm your brother

EagleClaw29
01-31-2010, 04:22 AM
Hi Folks - the reason for the title is that I need some help & I'm relatively new to computers & I hope you'll bear with me & help with my questions even though to many Hold-em Manager users they may seem amateurish.

I used to live on the West Coast & played all live poker. I moved to GA a few years back & there are no poker rooms so I started playing on the net & that was the 1st time I used a computer.

I'm much better with them now - but still light years away I'm sure from many of you folks....OK, enough about that.

As I said...this is going to be a long post...but I hope some folks have the time to look it over & help me out....for those who don't...I certainly understand.

When I look at poker forums such as 2+2 they are always flinging these numbers around about other players HUD stats as if they were of great importance....& lets them know exactly what type of player it is.

My 1st question is how many hands do you need to see an opponent play to put any importance to the stats?

I think I have the default stats in my HUD right now....but I'm not sure. This is how mine is set up. And I'm just plugging in some #'s out of the blue to fill it out.

23/12/15/2.6 This is the top line and in order the #'s are for VPIP/Preflop Raise/Steal/3-Bet.

2.5/50/67/99 This is the bottom line & in order they are for Aggression Factor - Flop Continuation Bet - Fold to Flop Continuation Bets - Hands Played.

Which of these numbers have the most significance? I think that the VPIP may be the most important & I know it means the money the player has voluntarily put in the pot.

Which of the others are the most relevant & is there like a combo of three that will give you the best handle of what you are up against?

Which stats do you folks use for your HUD's? Does anybody feel the main ones can be listed in order of significance for like the top 5 and what would they be?

Does steal mean the times it is folded to you on the button & you raise....or maybe also including folded to you in the cut-off & you raise from there too?

It seems that many people on the forums just refer to 2 or 3 stats and say things like....well, no wonder you played that wrong...your opponent was a big time TAG (I don't need help with basic poker lingo....Tight,Aggressive).

Actually - as new as I am to computers...this Hold-em Manager program is a bit mind boggling as to all the numerous stats that can be looked at and configured in ways that I'm sure are a big help to poker players that are computer wizards. I saw where it said you could make up your own formulas and plug them in to find out other stats....the one's they already have seem astronomical to me & which ones to use in conjunction with others.

Since I got this program I've only been playing 6-max NLHE to make the results easier to make sense of. I haven't perused all the literature to find out what you have to do once you start playing different games, stakes, all the different kinds of tourneys, number of players (heads-up, 6-handed, full ring, etc).

One other thing. When I play in a game...the HUD #'s for me start at 0 each time I go to a new table. But when I use the hand replayer....the HUD's are different. For one thing...to the left of each persons screen name....there is a star, or a die (not a pair of dice...just 1), or something that looks like a little yellow cell phone, & by mine...it looks like a little book labeled ABC.

And on the replayer screen ...it shows my games played number at 30k (so it's upward of 30,000 for the other stats I would imagine. This is what they are using the default set-up I have listed earlier in this note. The top line is: 20/12/22/2.7 and the bottom line is 4.0/65/62/30k.

To someone who's experienced with these stats....what kind of player do those numbers show me to be after 30,000 + hands?

I know this has gotten very long and I sure hope somebody was able to bear with me & will send a little help my way. I've already spent enough time reading about his program. I would sure like to get help from some folks who are experienced with it. OK-OK...long enough.

WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE ANY AND ALL HELP THAT COULD BE SENT MY WAY THANKS!

_Loki_
01-31-2010, 08:17 AM
Hi EagleClaw - where in GA? I'm a beginner too so don't believe anything I write

My 1st question is how many hands do you need to see an opponent play to put any importance to the stats? VPIP & PFR are worth looking at after 20-30 hands AGG FCTR maybe 50 & the other stats in the 100's of hands

23/12/15/2.6 VPIP/PFR/Steal/3-Bet & 2.5/50/67/99 Agg Factor/Flop Continuation Bet/Fold to Flop Continuation Bet/Hands
Which ...are the most relevant & is there like a combo of three that will give you the best handle of what you are up against? VPIP, PFR & AGG FCTR + lots of notes & observing stuff like what hole cards a villain will over-raise with

Which stats do you folks use for your HUD's? Does anybody feel the main ones can be listed in order of significance for like the top 5 and what would they be? VPIP, PFR & AGG FCTR plus WINNINGS, ABB NAME & HANDS. I don't like to use more than that because I can get the others off the popups, but I very rarely bother - better I think to watch & make those notes

It seems that many people on the forums just refer to 2 or 3 stats and say things like....well, no wonder you played that wrong...your opponent was a big time TAG It's VPIP & PFR "He's 21 16..."

Since I got this program I've only been playing 6-max NLHE SAME

One other thing. When I play in a game...the HUD #'s for me start at 0 each time I go to a new table. But when I use the hand replayer....the HUD's are different. For one thing...to the left of each persons screen name....there is a star, or a die (not a pair of dice...just 1), or something that looks like a little yellow cell phone, & by mine...it looks like a little book labeled ABC They are autorate icons to give you a graphical idea of the villains poker type. Google "holdem manager" autorate. The star is the default asterisk. Now I think I know what the icons stand for & the stats that go with them, but I advise you to check for yourself in the HM menu bar > Options > autorate. I've changed all the settings in my autorate so I can't see the default autorate settings...
cell phone = calling station (highish vpip but lowish pfr i think)
red die = gambler (highish in both vpip & pfr I think)
ABC = ABC player = plays 'fit or fold' poker I think
You have also got a green fish who has a higher VPIP than all the above &
a blue whale who has an even higher VPIP than the fish

And on the replayer screen ... 20/12/22/2.7 & 4.0/65/62/30k. To someone who's experienced with these stats....what kind of player do those numbers show me to be after 30,000 + hands?! That would put you on VPIP of 20, PFR of 12 & Agg factor 4. If I was playing you I would respect your raises :) I think your PFR & VPIP are too far apart. Just maybe you could bluff more pots pre-flop & steal more blinds. Also when you play after the flop (which isn't often) I reckon you double/triple barrel & put the villain in tough spots with having to make decisions on every street

_Loki_
01-31-2010, 08:30 AM
BTW - to make the icons more real to you...

I will not sit at a 6 max table with fish or whales to my left in the next two seats - it's much too expensive to steal the button for one thing

To my left in the first 2 seats I like a calling station & a rock
To my right in the first 3 seats I like gamblers, fish & of course whales best of all
I spend half an hour finding these situations on 3 tables at once - takes a LOT of jumping around & even leaving a table & rejoining it immediately in another seat. It's worth it because it will double/treble your win rate

EagleClaw29
02-01-2010, 03:31 PM
Thank you very much for your reply...it was VERY helpful. I now live in Marietta, GA.

I would like to discuss this stuff a little more with you if you have the time in the very near future.

I have a sister coming into town today to visit who I haven't seen in a while....so I have to cut this reply short.

Again - I really appreciate you taking the time to help & I hope the Poker Gods are smiling on you.

_Loki_
02-01-2010, 04:39 PM
God is in the details...

'cept for lawyers who find the devil there :)