PDA

View Full Version : Advantages of Manual Results Entry

crassius
01-24-2010, 01:19 PM
I play on Stars and have been entering Tourney results by text file emailed from stars. That all works fine, and because I only play MTT, it's not much of a chore, as I am not grinding out 12 SNG's at a time.

It occurred to me though that a lot of the info that is in the results email is nothing more than players names, with their finish position. Since a new database record must be made for each of these names, most of which I have no hand info to match with the names, I am wondering if it is worth it in the long run, from a database performance perspective, to manually enter each tournement, thereby saving those records of players for whom I have only a name and a finish position.

If I have played at the same table with them, they already have a record that contains the hands they played etc. That is valuable, useful info to store . But because database speed is related to its size, do I really want to create new records and store thousands of names with nothing more than a finish position?

What analysis would I be missing if I chose to manually enter each tourney result, and thereby save on database size by only having records for players that I also have hand histories for? Doing so would mean I would have finish position info only for myself. Do I need opposition finish history?

Patvs
01-24-2010, 10:11 PM
I don't think the 10000+ players where you only have their position finish information will take up much space / impact performance.

Manually editing your winnings / finish position is an annoying job.
Even if you only play 2-4 tournaments a day. (and don't multitable)