PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Optimizing Reports

TomoDiez
09-24-2008, 09:46 AM
When HM tries to optimize, I always get this error: http://img504.imageshack.us/my.php?image=hmbugok8.jpg

What can I do? This really sucks, because everytime I launch HM, this progress takes 20 minutes.

Thanks

morny
09-24-2008, 11:38 AM
That image isnt showing, can you repost it please

TomoDiez
09-24-2008, 11:51 AM
You can't see it when you click on the link?:confused: I can see it...

morny
09-24-2008, 11:54 AM
Can see it now, ill ask Roy about this and get back to you

Rvg72
09-25-2008, 02:01 AM
HI, it looks like your database has become corrupted.

The 2 most common causes of this problems are 1) powering off your computer or having your computer lose power while the database is doing something and 2) an old drive with bad sectors on it. Basically what happens is a small portion of a file gets slightly corrupt and then when you reboot and windows goes into that checkdsk procedure it finds the bad section and, thinking it is doing a good thing, removes it. Postgres then loads the table and a portion of it is gone so it doesn’t like that and blocks access to the entire table. Normally when this happens it is on a completely useless file that you'll never even notice is now gone and quite often it will happen to an index in the DB which can easily be rebuilt but in your case it happened to a system table.

So, to protect against this

1) keep you hands histories in case you do need to reimport
2) use a power bar and avoid hard shutdowns (when you flick the power switch on the pc)
3) if your drive is old consider replacing it with a new one. They are cheap and much faster now than even a few years ago.

You are probably best off starting a new database and reimporting.

Roy