PDA

View Full Version : Import/Export Notes Question

brianwi
01-19-2010, 03:56 PM
Hi,

I can export and import notes just fine. :) However, what I want to do is export the notes, manually update the .HMNotes exported file. I'd like to do both TEXT and COLOR updates.

For example, I export this:

----PLAYER NOTE----
PlayerName~|~2~|~~|~6

and then edit to this (changing the 6 to 7, and updating the text)

----PLAYER NOTE----
PlayerName~|~2~|~great player~|~7

and then reimport. The text will update if I have ADDED text (But then it seems to concatenate, as opposed to replacing it. However, the color does not update at all.

After importing, if I close and reopen HEM, and then export notes, NONE of the changes are present. This seems like a bug.

Also, If I edit manually and reimport, I would expect it to overwrite any previous notes. Bug?

brianwi
01-19-2010, 07:49 PM
If an admin could move this to the Bugs section, that'd be great!

netsrak
01-20-2010, 06:50 AM
I think this is not a bug, you are just doing things that are not supported.

Anyway, i'll forward it for further comments.

B-Money
01-20-2010, 01:19 PM
brianwi,

Manually editing a text file is not something we support. Sure, it's possible if you know scripting, but its not something we actively support for many reasons.

I strongly suggest you import your past notes without txt edits, then make any changes inside of Holdem Manager. That way you know it's working and you won't have to sift through 1,000 lines of a .txt file to see where the error is.

GL,
-B

brianwi
01-20-2010, 03:00 PM
Perhaps I wasn't clear. :)

I'm not getting errors. It says it imports it - pops up a dialog that says "2 comments changed". However, these comments aren't actually imported at all.

So here's the issue. If I export my notes from a dB on Computer 1, and want to import them on Computer 2, it will import, but won't show up. I would think this is the whole point of having an import/export function for notes.

BTW, the format of the notes file is pretty basic. I'm trying this with only 3 notes in the system, and given the dialog that says the notes were updated, I'm pretty sure it's not a formatting issue.

As a test for yourself, try this:

1) Make a note in a dB on a player.
2) Import the following after changing the playername to the playername you made a note on.

----PLAYER NOTE----
PlayerName~|~2~|~first note~|~17

3) Dialog will pop up that says "changed 1 note"
4) RESULT: Note is not changed.

So if this file was from a 2nd dB, that still seems to be a bug.

netsrak
01-21-2010, 06:17 AM
Hi, the importing/updating of notes is a little bit tricky:

Hi, it will actually either ignore or append the note. What it does is it looks to see if the imported note is already part of the current note and if so it ignore. If not it will append to the existing note.

So ,if in the DB a player has a note "he is a fish" and then you try to import a note that simply says "fish" it will ignore it since "fish" is contained within "he is a fish". If the imported note said "fishy" then his new note would be

"he is a fish
fishy"

Roy

Could this explain your problem?

brianwi
01-21-2010, 04:06 PM
Thanks!!! I have a clarifying question...

So does this mean if my notes says:

This is a fish.

and I want to import a note for the same player that says

a good player.

The second note will be ignored because of "a" (or even worse the period ".")?
If that's the case, this definitely seems like it's not working in a useful manner (as intended). It would make sense to check if the note is exactly the same, and then if not exactly the same, either append or overwrite (I obv prefer overwrite.)

ASIDE: It would obviously be preferable if there was an "overwite" all notes mode where on import any players in the file being imported would overwite the current note for that player completely. (I figure if I asked for the least possible work scenario, it'd be more likely to get it. Even if it was something like type the word OVERWRITE at the top of the notes file.)

B-Money
01-22-2010, 01:59 PM
Thanks for the update. I see what you're saying now. I'll add it to the Programmers task list.

-B

brianwi
04-30-2010, 02:51 PM
Any idea on when this will get resolved? thanks!

B-Money
05-03-2010, 01:44 PM
Brian,

Sorry for the delay. I got about 50-60 1-off requests like this and it's hard to prioritize anything that's non-critical. Good News is we got more PostgreSQL help and since this is a postgreSQL query it will be a perfect task for him to investigate. I'll bring it up in the meeting today and I'll add it to his schedule until it's taken care of as well.

ETA, hard to say. He has Everleaf support and a few critical SQL bugs to do, but I'm guessing sooner rather than later since it will be on his schedule until it's complete. 2-4 weeks? But don't hold me to that. :-)

Thanks again for your patients.

-B