PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion needed on a new install

etay0330
01-19-2010, 11:59 AM
Hi, I've been using HEM for awhile now and my database has well over 5 million hands in it.

I just made some changes to my setup to get the most out of the performance. However before I go ahead and install everything I'd like to know what my best option is to make sure everything will run in tip top shape for a long time.

I have 2 hard drives. A WD Cavier Green and a WD Cavier Black (faster supposedly). I plan on installing Windows 7. Raid 0 is not in my plan (not even sure if it's possible with 2 different types of drives). What's the best way to set this up? I've heard that having the HEM and Postgres on their own partition can improve performance somewhat? Or is it even better to have them on the second drive?

Any suggestions would be great before I go ahead and install everything. Thanks for the help.

Patvs
01-19-2010, 01:12 PM
Install Windows + all programs + SQL database on the Caviar BLACK. (irrelevant if they are on one, or separate partitions)
Store media (music/movies) on the Caviar GREEN.

Set the POWER OPTIONS to HIGH PERFORMANCE in Control Panel.
Before you start the import of the 5 million hands:

-1 split them up in 5 folders with about the same size.

PostgreSQL:

-2 Edit your PosgreSQL.conf file in the SQL 8.x/data folder.
Do not use the Tuning Wizard. On some systems it will make changes to the postgresql.conf it shouldn't, resulting in being unable to connect to the database!
If you experience this problem--> simply go to the 8.4/data folder, and delete postgresql.conf, and rename the backup postgresql.conf.2009(data xxxxxxxx) back to "postgresql.conf" and reboot.
Recommended changes:
shared_buffers = <number> MB (set this to 20% of your system memory, but not more than 1000 MB.... round it off to 128 MB, 256 MB, 512 MB or 768 MB)
effective_cache_size = <number> MB (set this to 2x the size of the shared_buffers)

-3 How to make PostgreSQL stop making those big log files (http://www.holdemmanager.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8423)

Please update to the latest beta - http://www.holdemmanager.com/downloads/HmBetaUpdate.exe

For W7 and Vista you must set \holdem manager\dbcontrolpanel.exe, holdemmanager.exe and hmhud.exe are started as administrator. Run the windows explorer and navigate to your Holdemmanager installation directory. Right click the executables and select properties... then select "Run as admin" from the compatibility tab. If you have Vista and the checkboxes are greyed out and you can't select it, please turn UAC on, reboot, and then set the files to run as administrator.

Add exceptions to the windows firewall (for port 5432), even if it is off. If you have a 3rd party firewall, do the equivalent or uninstall it temporarily - http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=171

-5 REBOOT

-6 only import one folder (each containing around 1 million hands) at a time.

---

-7 After you've imported all 5 million hands. VACUUM/ANALYSE the database in pgAdminIII and BACKUP the database as a .backup file!

etay0330
01-20-2010, 09:20 AM
Thanks for the help. It's working wonders so far. Maybe it's the drive or maybe something was wrong with my old database. I'm importing hands at 200+/s. Not even sure if I'm looking at it right.