PDA

View Full Version : HEM Import Speed - WTF Happened?!

icemonkey9
01-15-2010, 02:00 PM
Okay on my main PC rig I have historically gotten 40-50 hands per second for import speeds.

Now, for whatever reason which I cannot determine, it's down to 10-14 hands per second ... and this sucks.

I went through the sticky post and changed the postgresql.conf file. I went and did a Vaccuum Full as well as a Reindex. I also did the Defraggler program.

My database probably has ... maybe 1.5 million hands in it MAX.

My Computer is a quad-core intel running at 3.0GHz and I have 3GB of RAM running in Windows 7. (yes, i went through the Win 7 performance tweaks as well)

Is there any reason why this would happen practically overnight? I didnt even see any degradation at all, it was like one moment humming along at 50 and now its at 12. And I hate this. Please help!!!!

Patvs
01-15-2010, 02:13 PM
I think,... a program (usually a firewall/antivirus program) is suddenly monitoring your SQL data stream.

So it's not blocking your SQL connection for 100%. But for 95% resulting in a speed drop.

Please add Holdem Manager & PostgreSQL (postgresql.exe and pg_ctl.exe from the SQL bin folder) to the exception list and forward (open) port 5432 in your Firewall/Antivirus programs. Do the same for dbcontrolpanel.exe, holdemmanager.exe and hmhud.exe.

For W7 and Vista you must set \holdem manager\dbcontrolpanel.exe, holdemmanager.exe and hmhud.exe are started as administrator. Run the windows explorer and navigate to your Holdemmanager installation directory. Right click the executables and select properties... then select "Run as admin" from the compatibility tab. If you have Vista and the checkboxes are greyed out and you can't select it, please turn UAC on, reboot, and then set the files to run as administrator.

And reboot..

If that doesn't solve it, a more drastic solution is to install SQL 8.4 on port 5433 (assuming you're currently using 8.3 on port 5432).
Add port 5433 to all firewall exceptions lists before you install!
And change the port in databasecontrolpanel

icemonkey9
01-15-2010, 02:57 PM
Okay I went in and made sure that the HEM files are all running as Admin (2 of them were not!).

I added all the HEM programs and pg_ctl.exe to my Norton Anti-Virus exception list. I did not find a postgresql.exe file on my system, did you mean "postgres.exe"?

I dont know how to open a port in Norton Anti-Virus, maybe its because this program doesn't have that? Is this something to open up in my D-Link router, for TCP or UDP?

As is, I did what I could and saw it get up to 39 hands/second. Let me know about the other .exe file and the port opening thing. Thanks for your help!!!

I think,... a program (usually a firewall/antivirus program) is suddenly monitoring your SQL data stream.

So it's not blocking your SQL connection for 100%. But for 95% resulting in a speed drop.

Please add Holdem Manager & PostgreSQL (postgresql.exe and pg_ctl.exe from the SQL bin folder) to the exception list and forward (open) port 5432 in your Firewall/Antivirus programs. Do the same for dbcontrolpanel.exe, holdemmanager.exe and hmhud.exe.

For W7 and Vista you must set \holdem manager\dbcontrolpanel.exe, holdemmanager.exe and hmhud.exe are started as administrator. Run the windows explorer and navigate to your Holdemmanager installation directory. Right click the executables and select properties... then select "Run as admin" from the compatibility tab. If you have Vista and the checkboxes are greyed out and you can't select it, please turn UAC on, reboot, and then set the files to run as administrator.

And reboot..

If that doesn't solve it, a more drastic solution is to install SQL 8.4 on port 5433 (assuming you're currently using 8.3 on port 5432).
Add port 5433 to all firewall exceptions lists before you install!
And change the port in databasecontrolpanel

Patvs
01-15-2010, 03:01 PM
I meant postgres.exe

Are you using Windows Firewall as well?
Even if the Windows Firewall is turned OFF... try to set exceptions to ALL the .exe's and port 5432.

In Norton Antivirus, can you add "folders it must exclude" from scans/monitoring?
If so add: ProgramFiles/PostgreSQL and ProgramFiles/RVG Software

AND REBOOT

icemonkey9
01-15-2010, 03:19 PM
That made it worse, I'm back down to 11 hands per second. Should I just try turning off windows firewall??

icemonkey9
01-15-2010, 03:25 PM
I turned off Windows Firewall ... rebooted ... and still it is crappy.

I am at 9 hands per second.

This is getting worse. Please help me ... why is this getting worse and not better???

Patvs
01-15-2010, 03:31 PM
Try uninstalling Norton
Try turning off Windows Firewall... REBOOT...

Again if that doesn't work, try installing a different version of SQL on a different port (and reimport your 1.5 million hands into a new database)

icemonkey9
01-15-2010, 03:35 PM
You assumed I was running 8.3, I am actually running 8.4 on this system. Port is 5432.

icemonkey9
01-15-2010, 03:40 PM
Uninstalled Norton.

EPIC FAIL.

Now it imports EVEN SLOWER at 7.8 hands per second.

This sucks the big one, seriously.

Patvs
01-15-2010, 03:59 PM
You assumed I was running 8.3, I am actually running 8.4 on this system. Port is 5432.

Then install 8.3 on port 5433 and connect to that