PDA

View Full Version : manual phrase question

UWjoe
05-22-2012, 09:40 PM
Caution: Do not add C:\ for any Auto Import Folder! This will severely slow down your PC.

what does the above mean?

also its a real chore to find out how to set up a new site, maybe sticky all "how to set up xxxxxxxx to store hhs" links at the top of the specific pokersite support subforum

sqlguy
05-23-2012, 08:59 AM
Caution: Do not add C:\ for any Auto Import Folder! This will severely slow down your PC.

what does the above mean?

I guess it slows down the computer if HEM opens every file on your computer every 5 seconds to see if they contain hand histories.

Veteran68
05-23-2012, 12:45 PM
^^^ Yeah pretty much this. When you create auto import folders, HEM watches those folders for any new files. If you add C:\, and especially if you choose the Recursive option, then it will be monitoring every folder on your C: drive.

It's pretty straightforward to setup HH import and archive folders, but that said there are a number of ways this could be made easier.

First, the Auto Detect feature could be a lot smarter. It could check the registry and/or scan the HDD for poker client installs and their HH folders. Also allowing to set a default archive folder so it's not always C:\HMArchive or whatever it is (I store nothing HM-related on C: drive).

Another annoyance that makes it a pain to setup multiple sites at once (like for a fresh install) is that the folder browse controls don't remember the last path you browsed to. All of my poker software and clients, the majority of their data, and my HH archives are all located within a D:\Games\Poker\ parent folder, and having to start from My Desktop or whatever it is every single time is a big inconvenience. If it the auto import dialog just remembered the last path chosen, it would save a lot of time.

Again, as I've nagged the HM team for years, this kind of thing is really User Experience 101 stuff in software design, a subject I'm pretty passionate about.