PDA

View Full Version : Starting over with Windows 7, need help

JLlama
01-11-2010, 09:46 PM
I recently upgraded from Vista to Windows 7. I did a simple "backup all files" before making the switch, but I'm getting the feeling that this isn't sufficient for restoring my previously massive database, since all the backed up files are in strange folders that are nearly impossible to navigate through.

This is okay though, I can e-mail the sites and try to get complete hand histories from them.

That aside, I am running into a wall trying to get my HEM set up again. I've downloaded it, but I can't seem to get Postgresql up. When I try to install it I hit an error message ever time.

I also can't seem to find "administrative tools" anywhere in my control panel.

I'm pretty bad at this kind of thing, can someone walk me through in baby steps what I need to do here to get HEM up and running? Thanks

netsrak
01-12-2010, 05:33 AM
Lets start with the basic windows 7 things: http://forums.holdemmanager.com/showthread.php?t=21121

Where are you stuck? Is it the postgresql Installation?
Which step? Any error messages?

JLlama
01-12-2010, 08:52 PM
I can't find 'administrative tools" in my control panel. I don't really understand what the secondary logon thing is, I've seen no messages regarding it.

I also am unable to install postgresql. I'm following the instructions on this site, but I'm getting the following message:

This installation package could not be opened. Verify that the package exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer package.

What's my next move?

JLlama
01-13-2010, 08:26 AM
bump

netsrak
01-13-2010, 10:12 AM
A shortcut to find the windows services: <Windows Taste>R -> services.msc
(For further informations please use Google, its a windows 7 standard question).

For the installation: you need to unzip the installation zip file to a temporary folder: http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=108

JLlama
01-13-2010, 09:12 PM
Ok- I've successfully turned on the secondary logon feature, and I have unzipped and installed postgrespass.

But now I am having new issues.

1) When trying to connect to the postgreSLQ database, an error message is coming up (paraphrased): Username/password invalid. Do you want to have HEM to configure to this username/password. (Username: postgres, password: postgrepass).

I select yes, and it says: Holdem Manager updated postgreSLQ. Try connecting again.

But when I try to connect, I get the same message as before - Username/ password invalid.

In the FAQ I saw that if you change "mp5" to "trust" in the notepad document it should accept any password. However when I attempted to do this and save the file, I got an "access is denied" message.

2) My other issue is that after all this, when I try to open Holdem Manager at all now I instantly receive this message: Holdem Manager has stopped working.

So now I can't open it or get it to connect! Frustrating :(

fozzy71
01-14-2010, 12:21 AM
In the FAQ I saw that if you change "mp5" to "trust" in the notepad document it should accept any password. However when I attempted to do this and save the file, I got an "access is denied" message.

Edit the file > save it to your desktop > Cut from the desktop > Paste into the \data folder and overwrite the existing file.

2) My other issue is that after all this, when I try to open Holdem Manager at all now I instantly receive this message: Holdem Manager has stopped working.

So now I can't open it or get it to connect! Frustrating :(

Please give HoldemManager Administrator rights -

1) Go to C:\Program Files\RVG Software\Holdem Manager (Program Files (x86) if you have the 64bit version)
2) Rightclick the HoldemManager.exe and choose "Properties".
3) Go to the Compatibility Tab and select "Run this program as an Administrator".
4) Do the same for HMHud.exe and DBControlPanel.exe

JLlama
01-14-2010, 02:33 AM
Please give HoldemManager Administrator rights -

1) Go to C:\Program Files\RVG Software\Holdem Manager (Program Files (x86) if you have the 64bit version)
2) Rightclick the HoldemManager.exe and choose "Properties".
3) Go to the Compatibility Tab and select "Run this program as an Administrator".
4) Do the same for HMHud.exe and DBControlPanel.exe

What is the compatibility tab? When I right lick on the program, there is an option in the immediate dropdown list to "run as adminstrator." When I select this, I get the same error message as before and the program doensn't open.

fozzy71
01-14-2010, 03:07 AM
You have to right-click properties, as described in step 2, before you can click the compatibility tab in step 3.

If you still have problems are setting HM to run as administrator, please reinstall HM using these steps - http://www.holdemmanager.net/forum/showthread.php?t=20816

JLlama
01-14-2010, 07:57 PM
OK - so I've reinstalled HEM, and managed to start it up. I've gotten it to connect to PostgrQSL. But the database screen is blank - there are none to choose from. I see in the FAQ that there should be 3, including a default. I have none.

Do I need to create a new one? I just did by making up a random name.

fozzy71
01-15-2010, 01:46 AM
Yes, you needed to create your DB.