PDA

View Full Version : VISTA USERS: You must First go to Windows Control Panel - Users and disable User Acce

HVDL
09-22-2008, 07:02 AM
Well I have a problem.

I have Windows Vista and in order to perfectly run HM I need to complete 3 steps. #2 and #3 I get but I do not know what the first one means and how to do it.

"VISTA USERS: You must First go to Windows Control Panel - Users and disable User Access Control before you will be able to install PostgreSQL"

With kind regards,

HVDL

fabio
09-22-2008, 09:23 AM
http://208.109.95.123/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=73

EN09
09-22-2008, 11:54 AM
i did this on my vista as well... my question is why don't other software products/autohotkeys/poker clients advocate this? i have fulltiltshortcuts, AHK scripts and other poker clients on my vista which never mentions disabling these part of the settings... are there any consequences or future ramifications down the road due to disabling the initial settings?

morny
09-22-2008, 01:17 PM
They dont use PostgreSQL, UAC is there to help prevent malicious programs accessing your PC however it seems to have alot of flaws and prevents programs like PostgreSQL and umpteen others getting access to your database. Its also incredibly annoying and youd need the patients of Mother Theresa to leave it on IMO. If Microsoft improve it to allow exceptions of certain programs and that you can set the level of protection like not poping up everytime you open word or other harmless applications it would be at least usable.

However even with UAC enabled you need a certain level of knowledge to know if the program thats trying to access something is malicious or not, i and many other people for years have used XP without UAC and have got by so its not essential