PDA

View Full Version : Color Ranges

Bingo_Babe
09-20-2008, 10:02 PM
Hello, I'm trying to finish setting up Holdem Manager and I dont know what color ranges for what I should have. Also, What stats should I guareteedly have. I know I need the players name, hands, VPIP and PFR, but what else should I have?

fabio
09-20-2008, 10:22 PM
I have colour ranges on VPIP PFR and AF, basically its up to you :)

Bingo_Babe
09-21-2008, 11:47 AM
What is considered agressive for AF? I don't understand what the numbers should be etc. I do know its (Bet+Raise)/Calls. I just don't have a clue what color ranges i should have for that.

morny
09-21-2008, 12:11 PM
I was working on something like this which discusses what whats regarded as high/low for different stats and how to interpret them, im almost finished but just a small bit more to do, might be useful to newcomers like yourself

In the meantime i have AF setup like this
<1.00 Green Extremely Passive, Raise is a monster
<1.50 Reasonably Passive, respect raises
<1.80 Passive, Respect raises but will occassionaly bluff
<2.60 In between aggressive and passive, treat raises cautiously might be raising some draws etc
<inf Aggressive, likely to raise most decent draws and occassional bluffs and semi bluffs

Lattakikk
10-08-2008, 12:43 PM
I think predefined colour ranges would be great for both beginners and advanced players. It's both tedious to manually make all the colour ranges, and difficult to know what the ranges should be for all the different new stats.

You guys must have done some analysis in a very big DB to make the "result analysis" in the "players" tab. Maybe you could use same data/method to make colour ranges for all the different stats?

pellshek
10-08-2008, 01:46 PM
What is considered agressive for AF? I don't understand what the numbers should be etc. I do know its (Bet+Raise)/Calls. I just don't have a clue what color ranges i should have for that.

With respect, my advice would be to forget about colour coding until you instinctively understand what the numbers themselves mean. Looking at a red number and assuming that means X without knowing more about what that X itself actually is, is putting the cart before the horse. Work out what stats mean until you understand it in your bones and only then colour them if you want.

FWIW, I don't use the colour coding on the very simple basis that colours are just another layer of info to process. If I see a guy plays 16/11/1, I don't need orange or red or green numbers to add information to that - if anything, I think colours can confuse things.

morny
10-08-2008, 04:47 PM
Yeah im writing something at the moment which basically reinforces what Pellshek is saying, theres a huge difference between someone who has an aggression of 3 if their VPIP is 60 compared to a nit with 13 VPIP so you need to consider stats in conjunction with eachother not just individually. Hope to have it available soon which will explain the basics for this kind of thing and you can then do your color coding based on that

DK115
10-09-2008, 02:33 AM
Yeah im writing something at the moment which basically reinforces what Pellshek is saying, theres a huge difference between someone who has an aggression of 3 if their VPIP is 60 compared to a nit with 13 VPIP so you need to consider stats in conjunction with eachother not just individually. Hope to have it available soon which will explain the basics for this kind of thing and you can then do your color coding based on that

This screams for something like what is done in PT2 and PT3 ... rating players conform a set of rules ...

morny
10-09-2008, 11:41 AM
Yeah thats been put forward for suggestion but slightly different to what im satying in the article, theres so many scenarios such as image, previous history, board texture, tilt etc that can change the way ill view stats

Personally im not a fan of the auto rate system but like i said its been put forward already. Just out of personal interest as ive never really used it, can you give me some examples of where auto rate is more useful to you than the current system?

DK115
10-09-2008, 02:12 PM
First of all I do not think as more usefull, but as an addition to it. To see in a quick look what kind of player somebody is, you have more information in one icon, then in four stats. To have a better look in what kind of player somebody is, you have more information in four stats. (or 5 or 6 or ...) then in an icon. So both have advantages ... i use colors but they do not have the same information value as icons. The best would be if you could use your own icons ...

satori100
10-16-2008, 12:03 AM
I agree on the value of having icons based on user-definable stats that can have standard default settings to start (similar to PT). To improve on PT, adding a dozen or so more additional user-defined stats would be great - possibly even allowing users to import their own .ico or .jpg's for icons.

For the color ranges, why is it limited to only 5 color ranges per stat? I am using more than this for a few stats with PT, and moving to less colors does affect my ability to quickly asses the style of a particular player. Would it be relatively easy for you guys to increase this to at least 8 in an upcoming beta?

Mike chops
10-16-2008, 02:45 PM
We will look at it in future. Right now, I'd rather not make small changes that could delay 1.6.4 going final.

satori100
10-16-2008, 05:42 PM
Understood - thanks for the reply. Do you have "giant wish list" or to-do list in another thread anywhere, or somewhere else that you guys could share?

Mike chops
10-16-2008, 06:02 PM
We have the suggestions forum. Mostly though I just say no until it becomes more trouble to keep doing that than actually implement the suggestion :)