PDA

View Full Version : What should I do now with new 64-bit Windows 7 computer freezing?

shuman
01-03-2010, 05:39 AM
**I know what steps I can try, but I was just wondering which ones you advise that I should take right now to address my new computer freezing issue?

I have already disabled user access control (UAC) and "Allowed Exception" to HMhud.exe in Windows Firewall. Also, the file name postgres is already listed in my Windows Firewall's Allowed Exceptions list. I'm not sure which file this is exactly, and/or how it differs from the postgres.exe/"PostgreSQL Server" file below except the way they're listed in the Windows Firewall's Allowed Exceptions.

**Should I also just go ahead and add all the following files as well?

-DBControlPanel.exe
-holdemmanager.exe
-pg_ctl.exe
-postgres.exe (listed as "PostgreSQL Server" in Windows Firewall's Allowed Exceptions after I find and select the postgres.exe file)

-Full Tilt Poker.exe

**I've also downloaded FREE AVG Anti-Virus. Should I add all the above files to it's "Exception" list too?

Thank you.

fozzy71
01-03-2010, 07:14 PM
**I know what steps I can try, but I was just wondering which ones you advise that I should take right now to address my new computer freezing issue?

When and why does it freeze? Can you reproduce it? What programs are using all the CPU?memory in the Task Manager when this happens?

I have already disabled user access control (UAC) and "Allowed Exception" to HMhud.exe in Windows Firewall. Also, the file name postgres is already listed in my Windows Firewall's Allowed Exceptions list. I'm not sure which file this is exactly, and/or how it differs from the postgres.exe/"PostgreSQL Server" file below except the way they're listed in the Windows Firewall's Allowed Exceptions.

**Should I also just go ahead and add all the following files as well?

-DBControlPanel.exe
-holdemmanager.exe
-pg_ctl.exe
-postgres.exe (listed as "PostgreSQL Server" in Windows Firewall's Allowed Exceptions after I find and select the postgres.exe file)

-Full Tilt Poker.exe

Yes, and make sure you set them to always Run as Admin also.

Under Windows 7 you must set \holdem manager\dbcontrolpanel.exe, holdemmanager.exe and hmhud.exe to be started as administrator. Run the windows explorer (start > computer) and navigate to your Holdemmanager installation directory. Right-click Properties the executables and select "Run as admin" from the compatibility tab.

**I've also downloaded FREE AVG Anti-Virus. Should I add all the above files to it's "Exception" list too?

Thank you.

Sure you can, but it is probably unnecessary. Many people use AVG with HM without issue, and the vast majority of people dont set exceptions.

shuman
01-03-2010, 10:10 PM
When and why does it freeze? Can you reproduce it? What programs are using all the CPU memory in the Task Manager when this happens?

I believe my computer freezes sometimes either because of either HoldemManager.exe or Postgres.exe, but I'm not sure which one or how exactly to find out.

**Should I open Task Manager > Processes tab while I'm multi-tabling on Full Tilt with HM Auto-Import running and see how much Memory is being used?

Right now with just HM open, HoldemManager.exe is using the most memory at 184,000 K, Processes=79, CPU Usage=ranges from 0-7%, Physical Memory=40%

Postgres.exe is NOT currently listed under the Processes tab in Task Manager. Maybe because I'm not actually Auto Importing right now.

Yes, and make sure you set them to always Run as Admin also.

Thank you. Yes, I've already done this for all of them.