PDA

View Full Version : Problems with PostgreSQL

Pgandhi
01-01-2010, 10:01 PM
Like everybody else it seems

I'm kind of a PC N00b. Just installed HM and I think I installed PostgreSQL also correctly. But I keep getting this std. "A connection to postgreSQL could not be made". I'vr tried some options I got from FAQ, but I cant find all files. For example; http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=171
I dont have this file, it doesn't excist on my PC: C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.x\bin

I rly dont understand. It is like PostgreSQL isn't completely installed on my PC. But I cant de-install or re-install aswell

Pgandhi
01-01-2010, 10:28 PM
Connection Error:FATAL: 28000: role 'postgres' does not excist..

I'm getting closer...:D

Patvs
01-02-2010, 03:09 AM
click on Start and go to Programs -> Accessories -> Command Prompt

* If you are on Vista, rightclick and choose "Run as Administrator".

A black box (DOS) should appear. Type 'net user postgres /del' (without the quotes) and press enter.

The user is now deleted and you can (re)install PostgreSQL.
During installation pick: postgrespass as password

Try to install 8.4.2 on port 5433---> afterwards open dbcontrolpanel.exe and change the port to 5433

Pgandhi
01-02-2010, 06:07 PM
Man, I suck at installing HM.

Dunno what to do. I've tried to re-install PostgreSQL after following the steps as stated in the post above. But now nothing is working as it should.

First, PostgreSQL automaticly makes his own random password. I don't even get the option to choose my own.

The next step is "Initialize database cluster". When I fill in the random password it shows to following message;

"The specific data directory is not empty

If you have an existing database with the same major version number, you do not need to initialize a database cluster.
If you have an existing database with a different major version you need to backup your old database and create a new one."

Man I'm lost and feel like a simpleton...

Patvs
01-02-2010, 09:09 PM
pm sent

Pgandhi
01-02-2010, 10:51 PM
Done and running. Thanks alot.

+100 for service

tryg
01-14-2010, 12:33 AM
same problem ..

:/

"The specific data directory is not empty

If you have an existing database with the same major version number, you do not need to initialize a database cluster.
If you have an existing database with a different major version you need to backup your old database and create a new one."

why answer by pm ....

netsrak
01-14-2010, 05:26 AM
This message just means that you had Postgresql installed previously.

If you want to try to preserve the old data: http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=177

If you don't care navigate to the folder c:\program files\postgresql\8.x (or sth. similar) and delete the data folder. Now you can start the installation again.