PDA

View Full Version : Files not importing correctly??

sptost
01-01-2010, 11:00 AM
All the sudden, my hand histories (for FT) don't appear to be importing correctly. I don't get any import errors or anything like that and on the import screen, everything appears like it works right. But after a session, when I go into my "Cash Games" tab, the hands and stats are not there. I can view older hands but as of a few days ago, none of new hands get shown. Anyone every have this problem?

sptost
01-01-2010, 11:01 AM
All the sudden, my hand histories (for FT) don't appear to be importing correctly. I don't get any import errors or anything like that and on the import screen, everything appears like it works right. But after a session, when I go into my "Cash Games" tab, the hands and stats are not there. I can view older hands but as of a few days ago, none of new hands get shown. Anyone every have this problem?

fozzy71
01-01-2010, 12:13 PM
Please update to the latest beta - http://www.holdemmanager.net/hmbetaupdate

*Try creating a new UTF DB - http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=146
*Now import a small portion of your \HMArchive so you can see if the problem exists in the new DB - http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=173
*If the new DB seems to work properly, you will want to import the rest of your archives to the new DB, export/import the hands from the old DB to the new DB, and export/import any player notes and tourney summaries - and then delete the old DB. - http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=21

Make sure you export/backup everything before deleting the old DB - http://www.holdemmanager.net/forum/showthread.php?t=20754

jjordan
01-01-2010, 03:50 PM
I've been having a similar problem to OP, and I've been following several different threads dealing with import issues, none with proper solutions or fixes.

Here are some of the threads started in the past few days:

http://forums.holdemmanager.com/showthread.php?t=23607
http://forums.holdemmanager.com/showthread.php?t=23532
http://forums.holdemmanager.com/showthread.php?t=23561

In my case all the hands import, but only some of them show up in reports. For instance i may play 500 hands, 350 will show up in the report for today, but if i re-import all 500 by moving them to a new location, they are said to be duplicates.

Please update to the latest beta
I am using the latest beta, but I am not happy about using it. I would prefer to use a stable build when i don't care about the new features being introduced. Its frustrating that I am forced to use an unstable build 60% of the time or more because the non-beta release is not supported here.

Try creating a new UTF DB - http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=146
*Now import a small portion of your \HMArchive so you can see if the problem exists in the new DB
I have done this and it "solves" my problem, but I don't consider this a solution. My original database is not corrupt as far as the tools within pgadmin are concerned. I have vacuumed and reindexed without any problems. If holdem manager is creating a bad database, creating a new database is a very very poor solution, as its bound to happen again.

jjordan
01-02-2010, 03:35 PM
There are several people that have reported this problem and no word if a fix is even being looked into. Can we get a confirmation that someone is working this issue?

fozzy71
01-02-2010, 05:05 PM
Both of the people that posted in here sounded like they had postgresql database problems, that arent necessarily site specific. Databases can become damaged/corrupt for numerous reasons, and more often than not, you wont know what caused the problem.

Are you having similar issues? Can you give details?

Which Operating System, Firewall, and Anti-Virus are you using?

What poker sites? What version of postgresql? How old is the DB? Was it a .backup/restore database originally?

sptost
01-02-2010, 05:14 PM
Both of the people that posted in here sounded like they had postgresql database problems, that arent necessarily site specific. Databases can become damaged/corrupt for numerous reasons, and more often than not, you wont know what caused the problem.

Which Operating System, Firewall, and Anti-Virus are you using?

What poker sites? What version of postgresql? How old is the DB? Was it a .backup/restore database originally?

i'm not sure that my problems were similar but creating a new DB has resolved the issue. Just a pain in the ass cause it is HUGE!!! Thanks.

jjordan
01-02-2010, 05:39 PM
Both of the people that posted in here sounded like they had postgresql database problems, that arent necessarily site specific.

Databases can become damaged/corrupt for numerous reasons, and more often than not, you wont know what caused the problem.

Databases should never be corrupted by normal usage. That is the point of a database, isn't it? If it is common for Holdem manager databases to become corrupt, that is a major issue. The only applications that have access to my database are holdem manager and pgadmin.

See previous post or quotes below:

In my case all the hands import, but only some of them show up in reports. For instance i may play 500 hands, 350 will show up in the report for today, but if i re-import all 500 by moving them to a new location, they are said to be duplicates.

My original database is not corrupt as far as the tools within pgadmin are concerned. I have vacuumed and reindexed without any problems.

Which Operating System,

Vista Ultimate 64-bit, all HEM exes are set to run as administrator

Firewall,

No 3rd party firewall.

and Anti-Virus are you using?

NOD32 Antivirus.

What poker sites?

Full Tilt, have not tried any others.

What version of postgresql?

How old is the DB?

~3 Months

Was it a .backup/restore database originally?

No

jjordan
01-02-2010, 05:42 PM
i'm not sure that my problems were similar but creating a new DB has resolved the issue. Just a pain in the ass cause it is HUGE!!! Thanks.

Creating a new database has worked around the issue. If nothing is changed the same thing will happen again. That is my problem with this "solution".

netsrak
01-03-2010, 06:26 AM
You mean your database gets corrupt regularly?

Then you should check your hardware, operating system installation. And make sure you shutdown your computer properly every time.

A database should only be damaged in very rare situations

jjordan
01-03-2010, 06:19 PM
You mean your database gets corrupt regularly?

As far as as the pgadmin tools are concerned, my database is NOT corrupt. Holdem manager is acting strange as described. The support 'solution' was to create a new database, and if that solves the issue, my former database is considered 'corupt' and problem solved. I find this solution unacceptable.

This is the first time I've noticed a problem that creating a new database solved. Looking through the support forums, creating a new database is a common request from support, at least in the last week.

A database should only be damaged in very rare situations

I agree. That is why the solution is unacceptable. If I was the only one with this problem, I would be hunting down a problem on my end, but as it seems several people are having this issue, it looks like a Holdem Manager bug. If it is a bug, it is a very serious one that needs urgent attention.

Sentin
01-03-2010, 07:59 PM
this just started happening to me today. my first session all the hhs imported properly and from my 2nd session there are like 3 hhs that are just not showing up in my stats. In my trny results it says 42 trnys played but when i look at the breakdown by buyin it only adds up to 39 and then says 3 are not finished when they clearly are. Tried to restart hem and hasnt changed anything.

??

netsrak
01-04-2010, 04:27 AM
This can have multiple reasons.
Which Pokersite?
Which HM Version?
Did you have a disconnect?
Did you leave/close tables to fast?
Check the handhistories / summaries of this tourneys - are they complete?

jjordan
01-04-2010, 06:00 AM
This can have multiple reasons.
Which Pokersite?
Which HM Version?
Did you have a disconnect?
Did you leave/close tables to fast?
Check the handhistories / summaries of this tourneys - are they complete?

I'm assuming these questions are to Sentin, and not a response to my last post.

netsrak
01-04-2010, 09:16 AM
Sorry, i overlooked your post.

Not much more i can say. It's not a Holdemmanager bug. Its just a crashing computer or windows or sth. else which some users experience. Remember this is a support forum - which means only people with problems will post here.
From a pgadmin view your database is ok but the data references in it are damaged, this is nothing pgadmin can detect.

We recommend to create a new database for lots of peoples because its often the easiest thing to reset the settings which may cause their problems.

jjordan
01-04-2010, 04:24 PM
Not much more i can say. It's not a Holdemmanager bug.

Is this the official response to my issue?

Its just a crashing computer or windows or sth. else which some users experience. Remember this is a support forum - which means only people with problems will post here. From a pgadmin view your database is ok but the data references in it are damaged, this is nothing pgadmin can detect.

Corruption due to hardware or operating system would results in failures to reindex, and possibly even start the server. The fact that the data is well formed but incorrect points to a holdem manager bug, but it seems you have already discounted that possibility.

Thank you for your responses. If nothing else they have made me realize that I should begin looking for alternatives.

netsrak
01-05-2010, 04:41 AM
I'll forward this thread to my colleagues

B-Money
01-05-2010, 02:45 PM
this just started happening to me today. my first session all the hhs imported properly and from my 2nd session there are like 3 hhs that are just not showing up in my stats. In my trny results it says 42 trnys played but when i look at the breakdown by buyin it only adds up to 39 and then says 3 are not finished when they clearly are. Tried to restart hem and hasnt changed anything.

??

This can happen when you leave the the table immediately after busting out. I know I do this on occasion when I'm frustrated. You can manually add the results of the tournament and the tourney will be considered finished.

B-Money
01-05-2010, 03:02 PM
jjordan,

Very few people have problems with their databases. If it was common we'd be flooded with support questions about it. Many times re-importing hands into a new database fixes the problem and we never hear from the customer again. This is good news. It means the problem is solved and hasn't re-appeared. I'd be very surprised if your database becomes corrupt in some way again, but I can't guarantee it. If your database does become corrupt again, personally send me all your HH files and I'll import them all and try to duplicate your problem. If your database never gets corrupt again, how are we supposed to figure out the problem if we can't duplicate it here? We're here to help the best way we can. There's not much more I can offer than to personally try to duplicate your problem.

Generally problems with hands not being imported or displayed improperly inside of Holdem Manager is due to sites updating their HH file format. We address these issues immediately 7 days a week 365 days a year.

"Beta" - These are not beta's in the true sense of the word, they are updates that fix known problems and have a few new features. Unfortunately the nature of poker analysis software requires us to keep up to date with 17 different poker networks and how they develop their software. Every time a site updates their software, it can cause problems with our software. This is why we release updates regularly.

We try our best here and want to help every single Holdem Manager user that has a problem. We're here to help, not make excuses or blow smoke over anyone's eyes.

GL,
-B

jjordan
01-05-2010, 03:23 PM
The tone of fozzys post in the 2+2 Holdem Manager thread and the responses I'm getting here make it clear that I am not going to get anywhere, so I'll leave it alone.

I understand your stance. I do not hold it against you. I understand that 99.9% of your customers are happy rebuilding the database in this case, so it is not worth your effort to hunt down the source, even if holdem mangager is the source.

In my case I have a significant amount of experience with postgresql and know that the reasons given to me as the source of the corruption are not possible. That does not mean Holdem Manager is the source, just that it is the most likely source in my eyes.

In the future I will backup my database, lesson learned.

Patvs
01-05-2010, 03:38 PM
I think corrupt databases are very common. And always caused whenever Windows crashes or a power failure when your computer reboots while HEM is running (or a vacuum/analyse is running in pgadminIII) etc.

The postgres developers team claim they can prevent corruption more and more with every new version of postgres.

PostgreSQL 8.4.2 update list:
There are 48 bug fixes in this release, many of which apply only to version 8.4, and a few of which are specifically for Windows. While these are generally fixes for minor issues, among the changes are:
*Prevent hash index corruption
*Update time zone data for 9 regions
*Fix permissions-related startup issue on Windows
*Prevent server restart if a VACUUM FULL is killed
*Correct cache initialization startup bug

However the general problem of "missing hands" 9/10 times is NOT caused by a corrupt database, but by the importing of incorrect or invalid handhistories.
This often is caused by HoldemManager not properly recognizing the handhistories (and quickly fixed in the next beta update), and sometimes because the handhistories you're trying to import are incomplete. (often caused by internet connection lag)

In both cases, you'll need to reimport the hands into a new database. I would get used to the re-importing. For example when the next "EV by street" update comes, that will also require a reimport of all your hands.

jjordan
01-05-2010, 04:42 PM
I think corrupt databases are very common. And always caused whenever Windows crashes or a power failure when your computer reboots while HEM is running (or a vacuum/analyse is running in pgadminIII) etc.

The postgres developers team claim they can prevent corruption more and more with every new version of postgres.

I was able to vacuum and reindex without any errors. It is my understanding that my database is not corrupt in the way that the posgres developers would consider corruption.

I would get used to the re-importing. For example when the next "EV by street" update comes, that will also require a reimport of all your hands.

Thanks for the heads up. I guess holdem manager databases should be looked at as a disposable intermediate state of the data. In which case I shouldn't invest the time in backing it up, but instead backing up my hand histories.

Patvs
01-05-2010, 04:58 PM
You should do both... depending on the size of your database and your import speeds.

I have a 5+ million hands database which takes almost 24 hours (= too long) to reimport. The backup/restore only takes an hour.

But.... whenever a big new thing is introduced: ANOTHER example, with multi currency support it now imports every 1 euro at the euro-tables as 1 dollar. With the currency convertor in the next update that will be fixed...but that will require a reimport of all your euro hands into a new database.

Or lets say.. two new stats are introduced (triple-barrel-bluff and xxx): for you to see the actual xxx stats, you'll have to reimport all your hands again. With the recent EV fix, they made a "fix EV converter". Hopefully the EV by street and currency convertor, etc. can be done this way too. But I'm personally expecting I'll have to reimport my hands again.